Aberdeen v Thistle

Albert's Ghost

15 hours ago, Albert's Ghost said:

I reckon he'll rest a few - like v Falkirk.  Hopefully with a better outcome, but that's a big hope...

This is the quarter final in one of the two major cup competitions....I'd like to think he will take it seriously and play the best team available.

We also don't want to be on the end of a hiding that de-rails the confidence of the squad.

There will be a lot of jags fans travelling a fair distance on a Wednesday night to see this...I hope resting key players is not on the gaffer's mind.

On a personal note, half my family are sheep worrying Dons fans...I need the bragging rights here!!!

Mon the Jags.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Aberdeenjag said:

This is the quarter final in one of the two major cup competitions....I'd like to think he will take it seriously and play the best team available.

We also don't want to be on the end of a hiding that de-rails the confidence of the squad.

There will be a lot of jags fans travelling a fair distance on a Wednesday night to see this...I hope resting key players is not on the gaffer's mind.

On a personal note, half my family are sheep worrying Dons fans...I need the bragging rights here!!!

Mon the Jags.

100% agree.

I’ll be ragin if I travel all that way to see half the 1st team rolling over and meekly surrendering.

Ive just watched the inspirational documentary on winning the 1971 trophy. We can win this game if we go for it with belief commitment.

2 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

100% agree.

I’ll be ragin if I travel all that way to see half the 1st team rolling over and meekly surrendering.

IPve just watched the inspirational documentary on winning the 1971 trophy. We can win this game if we go for it with belief commitment.

McParland's talk to the team was pure perfection on that day: "We won the 2nd Division playing how we play (attacking). Go out and enjoy it and get in around them  [I'm paraphrasing, but there was no trying to contain them , hold out to half-time etc. It was GO FOR IT ] , with maybe some extra encouragement for the defence in the second half.... and they were up to the task.

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

McParland's talk to the team was pure perfection on that day: "We won the 2nd Division playing how we play (attacking). Go out and enjoy it and get in around them  [I'm paraphrasing, but there was no trying to contain them , hold out to half-time etc. It was GO FOR IT ] , with maybe some extra encouragement for the defence in the second half.... and they were up to the task.

Oh, I so hope you are right!

I agree with all the sentiments expressed on this thread about belief, going for it etc.

I believe we have players who can stretch Abredeen, Tiffony, Graham, Lawless plus two good attacking full backs in McMillan and Milne. We can also  bring on from the bench good players like Turner, Dowds, Brownlie and Fitzpatrick I don't  see why we can't give Aberdeen a good game. They are starting to find a bit of form but they are nowhere near as good as Aberdeen teams of the past. Let's get right into them.

As a morale booster tonight's result at ICT means our result v Hamilton is looking a lot better plus we play this cup tie as Championship League Leasers.

Come on the Jags.

Not too concerned about making changes as long as it's not many. Despite being league leaders we've not been playing that well in recent games. So making changes doesn't necessarily mean playing a weakened team. I'd be keen tho' to see us start with the same back four as at NDP, for experience sake as much as anything.  Elsewhere I'm less concerned who starts as long as they're fully fit.  

Can't believe this game isn't being televised. 

I'm hoping we can play with a bit more freedom compared to our league performances as we will be the underdogs.

I think we need to start our strongest 11 although perhaps starting Dowds instead of Graham would perhaps allow Dowds to apply more pressure to the Aberdeen back line. Also assume Turner is available again and Mitchell has recovered so I would go with the following in a 4-2-3-1

Mitchell

McMillan-Muirhead-Holt-Milne

Docherty  Bannigan

Lawless           Turner            Fitzpatrick

Dowds

If we stay in the game it provides the option of sending Graham, Tiffoney and MacKinnon on in the last 30 minutes to try and get the winner.

1 hour ago, laukat said:

Can't believe this game isn't being televised. 

I'm hoping we can play with a bit more freedom compared to our league performances as we will be the underdogs.

I think we need to start our strongest 11 although perhaps starting Dowds instead of Graham would perhaps allow Dowds to apply more pressure to the Aberdeen back line. Also assume Turner is available again and Mitchell has recovered so I would go with the following in a 4-2-3-1

Mitchell

McMillan-Muirhead-Holt-Milne

Docherty  Bannigan

Lawless           Turner            Fitzpatrick

Dowds

If we stay in the game it provides the option of sending Graham, Tiffoney and MacKinnon on in the last 30 minutes to try and get the winner.

I am pleased to see that you have selected a Thistle team. No argument with your choices, but my understanding from Archie's JagZone interview is that Mitchell has not fully shaken off the effects of illness, and so Sneddon will probably start. Any 3 from our 4 midfielders is fine by me. Not my choice, but have a feeling that Smith may be selected on the basis that as an ex Aberdeen player he should know his way around the pitch.

Anyway, back to my first comment. Pleased to see that it is possible to select a Thistle team. The BBC website thinks that only one team is playing, so the sole option offered is to select an Aberdeen team.