McCall Sacked

elevenone

4 minutes ago, javeajag said:

You can have views on whether McCall time was up or not. What is unacceptable is the way this has been handled……utterly bizarre timing, dreadful communication and poor treatment of someone’s whose heart was in the right place. You can let people go in the right way or the wrong way and sadly today the club let itself down.

Completely agree

2 minutes ago, javeajag said:

You can have views on whether McCall time was up or not. What is unacceptable is the way this has been handled……utterly bizarre timing, dreadful communication and poor treatment of someone’s whose heart was in the right place. You can let people go in the right way or the wrong way and sadly today the club let itself down.

You’re right , I’ve posted that I thought Ian McCall had taken us as far he could but the timing is totally and completely wrong .

Having read the statement by the TJF having no knowledge of this is absolutely mind blowing, thought JLowes lackies and the TJF were meant to be working alongside each other .

The Club has let itself down tonight, what an absolute shambles we are .

5 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

You’re right , I’ve posted that I thought Ian McCall had taken us as far he could but the timing is totally and completely wrong .

Having read the statement by the TJF having no knowledge of this is absolutely mind blowing, thought JLowes lackies and the TJF were meant to be working alongside each other .

The Club has let itself down tonight, what an absolute shambles we are .

It may indeed be a sign of worse things to come 

29 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Don’t think this will sit that well with Doolan.

mccall brings dilator Thistle and the rest is history.

when Caldwell gets rid of Doolan McCall brings him to Ayr United 

When McCall returns to Thistle he brings back Doolan 

Think you’re absolutely correct on this 

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

We’ve issued a statement 

Norge

Read the statement, if that’s true and you had no knowledge of this , what is happening at Firhill ?

Thought the TJF and Trust were meant to be working alongside each other 

Obviously not 

We’re becoming an absolute bombscare of a Club

Our supporters deserve better 

Woke up to this news. Although I think we needed to make a change, I’m surprised at the timing. As @lady-isobel-barnett says, I think we might need to read between the lines.

I believe the TJF statement, but surely their rep on the Interim Board must have known this was coming? Unless it was an exec decision by big Duncan. 

We need to get behind Dools & Paul McDonald until it’s clearer who might be coming in. Jack Ross & Dools would be a good choice. 

ETA I’m genuinely sorry to see Archie leave, he gave us some great memories of promotion to the top flight 

Edited by sandy

Ultimately, I feel it’s the correct decision but like most of us, I’m stunned at the timing of the announcement.

Rumours circulating that he had been talking to Motherwell behind the club’s back seem difficult to believe for a number of reasons, but I suppose we’ll find out more in the coming days.

I’m genuinely sorry it didn’t work out for McCall, but as history has shown, he’s a stable, mid-table manager at best.

In the meantime, I think Doolan is the ideal man to take control on an interim basis. He is universally respected by our fans and he’ll know our squad inside out. Hopefully the positivity from Ibrox can be carried onto Somerset and Doolan can be given the backing he so richly deserves.

There are only four people on our Board

One of them is the only member of the old board who did not decamp with Jaqui Lowe and her gang

Two of them are members of the Infamous Four that were given Colin Weir's shares by the previous board, despite them having no backing from, and no communication with, the fan base (who are now supposed to be running the club)

The fourth was put forward by the TJF and is the lady who organised the very successful fund-raising campaign for Thistle during the Pandemic

Wouldn't it be nice to know exactly how they came to this decision on the fans' behalf

• Like 1

The timing of this is totally bizarre.

If the decision was made prior to Sunday then there was no good reason to announce it on the club website about 2 hours after the game finished. It could easily have waited until Monday or Tuesday.

I have a sneaky feeling that some major disagreement (a serious fa'in oot) happened between the manager and the interim Chairperson and Mr.Smillie had an inconsidered knee-jerk reaction to whatever took place.  (Just a theory).

9 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

The PTFCTrust also known as the group who never communicate run the club not TJF.  I think TJF would have handled the situation far more professionally 

Although they do have a member on the board and presumably knew what was about to happen. If they don’t agree with the decision, surely have a responsibility to say - at least to their members.
I am only on page 2 of this thread, so apologies to TJF if they have done.

19 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Although they do have a member on the board and presumably knew what was about to happen. If they don’t agree with the decision, surely have a responsibility to say - at least to their members.
I am only on page 2 of this thread, so apologies to TJF if they have done.

Just to confirm we have now clarified with a statement. We did not know about this at all. 

To clarify, we were asked to put forward / nominated a board member onto the new board but she is not  “our representative”.   She serves in the position in her own right as a director, with the personal responsibilities that brings. 

One of the many things on the to do list for the future is working together protocols between the board and the fans organisations.  This has always been an important aspect of TJFs idea of an ideal or best case solution. 

At the moment, TJF have not yet got any formal position - although progress has been made on this. Whilst we have worked much better alongside this board, the board are independent of us and we have no formal position.  

Perhaps all of this highlights why we need the formality clarified soon. And why we need working together protocols that function well and give us all the version of fan ownership we wish for and expect. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jaf said:

Just to confirm we have now clarified with a statement. We did not know about this at all. 

To clarify, we were asked to put forward / nominated a board member onto the new board but she is not  “our representative”.   She serves in the position in her own right as a director, with the personal responsibilities that brings. 

One of the many things on the to do list for the future is working together protocols between the board and the fans organisations.  This has always been an important aspect of TJFs idea of an ideal or best case solution. 

At the moment, TJF have not yet got any formal position - although progress has been made on this. Whilst we have worked much better alongside this board, the board are independent of us and we have no formal position.  

Perhaps all of this highlights why we need the formality clarified soon. And why we need working together protocols that function well and give us all the version of fan ownership we wish for and expect. 

Thanks for the clarification. For us TJF outsiders the waters have been a bit muddied lately, and as you can see TJF could be tarred with the same brush as the PTFC Trust. 
Just when we thought things were settling down behind the scenes.

38 minutes ago, jaf said:

Perhaps all of this highlights why we need the formality clarified soon. And why we need working together protocols that function well and give us all the version of fan ownership we wish for 

The PTFC Trust, are using their shares to let Duncan Smillie run our club.

Edited by erty13
  • Like 1

I was among those calling for a change in management but only after taking time to find someone who offered better prospects.  But Like almost everyone else, I am completely stunned by the timing of this.

What concerns me are first of all why the TJF was not involved or at least given prior warning.  Second, given the frankly bizarre timing and nature of the decision, how can we be confident in the Board's ability to make a sensible choice for the next manager.

Although Doolan has been appointed on a short term basis with no fixed duration, it would not surprise me if the Board took the easy option of making the appointment permanent in the belief that an ex-Jag as manager would appease many fans, and deflect anger if things went badly.

I wonder how Gerry Brittan is feeling this morning.

This whole affair stinks, and unless we are careful could permanently damage the relationship that has been built up between PTFC Trust and TJF.

2 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

I was among those calling for a change in management but only after taking time to find someone who offered better prospects.  But Like almost everyone else, I am completely stunned by the timing of this.

What concerns me are first of all why the TJF was not involved or at least given prior warning.  Second, given the frankly bizarre timing and nature of the decision, how can we be confident in the Board's ability to make a sensible choice for the next manager.

Although Doolan has been appointed on a short term basis with no fixed duration, it would not surprise me if the Board took the easy option of making the appointment permanent in the belief that an ex-Jag as manager would appease many fans, and deflect anger if things went badly.

This whole affair stinks, and unless we are careful could permanently damage the relationship that has been built up between PTFC Trust and TJF.

See my previous post. Maybe it wasn't a board decision. Maybe one individual in particular?

4 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

Think that relationship has now gone, with JLOW’s “ elected Board “ paying lip service to TJF 

If some posters here are right (and I sincerely hope they're not) and there is a breakdown in the relationship between the PTFC Trust and TJF, then maybe its time for TJF to start playing hardball.

The Trust have the shares, but TJF have a substantial income that will probably rise after this episode as more fans sign up. That income is crucial to the running of the Club.

If the Board want TJF's income they should get it, but only on receipt of the equivalent value in ordinary voting shares.

Edited by eljaggo

As others have said, I expect the decision was made before yesterday's match. I'm not going to chase shadows looking for hidden motives - things have felt stale for a while, and I didn't get the sense that the current management team were going to turn things around.

Good luck to them for the future. They leave the team in better shape than they found it.

• Like 3

Whatever the merits of sacking the manager, as many others have said, the timing stinks. The wider footballing public and media who know next to nothing about our run of results (and the reasons) will simply see it as "sacked because they could only run Rangers close at Ibrox" sort of thing.  

Yet again the club is up there vying to be PR disaster of the year. If only we had a communications guru on the board who is media savvy. Someone to put a spin on the decision..............Oh haud oan a minute.....

There is a whole heap of conjecture on this thread which is understandable given the timing of the statement and general lack of information.

However on TJF not knowing angle - those involved have explained why they didn't know, they had no official need to know (this is being worked on) and there has been no breakdown in working relationship between various parties.

Edited by fenski
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom Stronach said:

Ultimately, I feel it’s the correct decision but like most of us, I’m stunned at the timing of the announcement.

Rumours circulating that he had been talking to Motherwell behind the club’s back seem difficult to believe for a number of reasons, but I suppose we’ll find out more in the coming days.

I’m genuinely sorry it didn’t work out for McCall, but as history has shown, he’s a stable, mid-table manager at best.

In the meantime, I think Doolan is the ideal man to take control on an interim basis. He is universally respected by our fans and he’ll know our squad inside out. Hopefully the positivity from Ibrox can be carried onto Somerset and Doolan can be given the backing he so richly deserves.

Much of what happens next on the field will depend on the players' attitude. For example, there are differing views among Thistle fans about yesterdays showing. It's finally, with almost no injury troubles and good motivational work by McCall & co the team finally started showing again how it can play, or no: it's the players' who motivated themselves, with no effect of the manager and his assistants.

If McCall had lost the dressing room (cliche alert!), then we might see the so-called bounce-back next weekend, but if they resent the actions of the board, then, especially as several can become free agents before long, they might just down tools, and go through the motions until the end of the season. Not a great possibility for Doolan or whoever eventually comes in.

PS: I wouldn't be surprised if a bigger club comes in for Sneddon before long. A goal-scoring, penalty-saving 'keeper trying to cover for a frankly porous defence could do better elsewhere.

Edited by Jaggernaut
  • Like 1