Summer comings and goings

Jaggernaut

The team needs leadership and experience on and off  the park.  With doolans attacking policy  looks like a few more surprises to come that will fit into his vision of the way he wants us to play  looking forward to see who we sign. 

18 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

With Graham extending and banzo getting two years, just a thought but maybe they have both accepted a pay cut as long as they get the extra year thus reducing the wage bill for the season ahead.

obviously not great if the are both rubbish next year and we have them tied down. 

Had wondered if both might have extended on reduced terms with the promise of taking on a coaching role as well? Perhaps Graham as assistant manager with Bannigan taking over the Women's team?

Keeping Graham for the next 2 seasons makes sense. Pace has never been something he had so he can't really lose that. Even when he's not scoring he still is a massively positive influence and leader. We would struggle to replace him and I reckon every team in the league would want him for 23/24 with most of the teams in league keen to have in 24/25. If can avoid injuries there is no reason to believe this he can't cope with the Championship.

If Doolan can extend the contracts of Fitzpatrick, McMillan, Milne and Lawless then things start to look a bit more promising.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, laukat said:

Had wondered if both might have extended on reduced terms with the promise of taking on a coaching role as well? Perhaps Graham as assistant manager with Bannigan taking over the Women's team?

Keeping Graham for the next 2 seasons makes sense. Pace has never been something he had so he can't really lose that. Even when he's not scoring he still is a massively positive influence and leader. We would struggle to replace him and I reckon every team in the league would want him for 23/24 with most of the teams in league keen to have in 24/25. If can avoid injuries there is no reason to believe this he can't cope with the Championship.

If Doolan can extend the contracts of Fitzpatrick, McMillan, Milne and Lawless then things start to look a bit more promising.

It's getting the balance right. they are maybe happy with their current terms? 

I'd want to see 3 or 4 new signings in. Especially a couple of central defenders.

20 minutes ago, jagfox said:

It's getting the balance right. they are maybe happy with their current terms? 

I'd want to see 3 or 4 new signings in. Especially a couple of central defenders.

Agree it is about balance.

I would also want 2 or 3 signings in that are competing for first team staring spots but also expect another 3 or 4 as either cover or with potential to be starters for 24/25.

So I do expect another 7 or so new signings. We are a long way away from having a complete squad. 

Everything I’ve seen so far speaks to stability being the battle plan.  I’d expect the goal for this season to be sneaking into the playoffs with reliance on Dools being able to unearth some young talent somewhere.

I imagine some difficult questions could be had mid season about moving Fitzy and Milne to get some kind of fee before they leave on a free.

One question - do we attempt to break tradition and lock up Dools on a multi-year?  If he keeps us top 4 this season, other clubs will certainly come calling.

I suspect at least half (if not more) of any signings will be loans - inevitably done very close to the start of the new season - so it might be difficult to assess how things are going to develop until after the transfer window - by which time it will either be too late, at least until the January window, or we will have struck a winning formula and be walking away with the league by early December (I fear I know which scenario might be the more likely).

Another two years of Brian Graham infuriatingly backing into defenders while falling down on his erse with his hands up and him shouting at the ref for a foul, which usually doesn't get given, then missing a couple of sitters.

Then........ either a brilliant one-touch assist for somebody else to score, or scoring himself!

If that's to be the pattern in every match, bring it on!

• Like 1

From the Daily Record so make of it what you will:

Thistle closing in on new defender

Partick Thistle are closing in on a deal for Swansea City’s Wasiri Williams.

The Jags have offered a two-year deal to the central defender.

Williams spent last season on-loan at Irish side Dundalk.

The centre half had joined the Swans after impressing for non-league Braintree.

Kris Doolan is looking to seal a move for Williams to strengthen his backline options.

The Jags boss has signed Aaron Muirhead, Brian Graham and Stuart Bannigan on new deals but has lost Ross Docherty, Kyle Turner and Kevin Holt.

2 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

From the Daily Record so make of it what you will:

Thistle closing in on new defender

Partick Thistle are closing in on a deal for Swansea City’s Wasiri Williams.

The Jags have offered a two-year deal to the central defender.

Williams spent last season on-loan at Irish side Dundalk.

The centre half had joined the Swans after impressing for non-league Braintree.

Kris Doolan is looking to seal a move for Williams to strengthen his backline options.

The Jags boss has signed Aaron Muirhead, Brian Graham and Stuart Bannigan on new deals but has lost Ross Docherty, Kyle Turner and Kevin Holt.

He's naturally right footed but looks like he played mostly at left centreback for Dundalk.

4 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Scott Burns of the DR saying we are set to sign Scott Robinson from Kilmarnock. 

Faith in Doolan. Certainly need an attacking midfielder, a position I assume Robinson now plays in. The age thingy (he's 31) goes against the grain somewhat but he's got loads of experience at our and higher level. I know he had a bad injury but he's not been much of a 90 min player in any case. 

As long as we get the average age down with other signings could be an important player.