Away to Airdrie

Jaggernaut

15 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I wasn’t making a scapegoat out of Aidan for yesterday ….just pointing out that overall he doesn’t consistently work hard enough ….it’s not that he can’t or doesn’t do it simply  he doesn’t do it often enough.

OK, I can accept that to a point. Just pointing out that yesterday was definitely not the case. 

34 minutes ago, avie-man said:

Not like us to throw a lead away. 

Doolan's teams look and play the exact same way as McCall's and Archie's, total deja vu watching that. They aren't going to sack him so Doolan needs an experienced head to help him, and we all knew the risks giving him the job so it's up to them to help him. Brian Graham, the finger pointing world champion will be the next manager anyway so no rush from me to get him out. The fans have made it clear they don't want anyone who doesn't know the club in positions of power on or off the park, yet it's that clear minded, lack of sentiment that's sorely needed to put an end to the gravy train and gut the place. No more cushy deals for passengers like Bannigan just coz they're "legends". Its too cosy up at Firhill.

Airdrie wanted that more yesterday which is totally unacceptable. They've a 30 year old manager and much smaller budget. Absolutely no excuses for what we saw.

Not sure about Doolan’s team playing the same was as Archie’s snd MCCalls 

2 games into the season and people are forgetting how Doolan transformed the Club last season on and off the park

Probably lost 4 of our best players since then partly because of the overspend from the previous manager/Board 

Unlikely that these 4 players were ever going to replaced with better players on a lesser budget., the template should be which I hope is happening is to coach and progress guys like Zander McKenzie, Stanway and Lyon.

Always going to be a transition season, some of our supporters need a reality check .

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

OK, I can accept that to a point. Just pointing out that yesterday was definitely not the case. 

Aiden played well yesterday apart from that .

Dools mantra should be as was Alex Ferguson’s , stop the cross into the box 

I just wish we would start putting more balls into the box, quicker and more often..we work the ball up to 30/ 25 yards from goal and then we start the sideways passing, and more than often we get nowhere , does my head in,  Ball into the box and who knows, penalty from a handball O.G. ..mite even fall to one of our guys, simple tap in .. After all the object is to get the ball in the opposition goal.,.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Not sure about Doolan’s team playing the same was as Archie’s snd MCCalls 

2 games into the season and people are forgetting how Doolan transformed the Club last season on and off the park

Probably lost 4 of our best players since then partly because of the overspend from the previous manager/Board 

Unlikely that these 4 players were ever going to replaced with better players on a lesser budget., the template should be which I hope is happening is to coach and progress guys like Zander McKenzie, Stanway and Lyon.

Always going to be a transition season, some of our supporters need a reality check .

We are not the only club in the division to have lost players - in fact every club in the division has.

If we are a club on transition in many ways so are other clubs having to bring in new players- including our opponents yesterday Airdrieonians lost one of their best strikers during the summer.

I agree our budget has been reduced but no way do I think it’s anywhere near as low as Airdries or others.

We actually brought in more new players last summer than this.  It is a fact I agree we have brought in new players and our budget is reduced.  But it is a fact plenty of other clubs in the championship have lost key players and had to bring in new ones. Also I still wouldn’t be surprised if we are the third or fourth highest budget in the division 

Just now, Third Lanark said:

We are not the only club in the division to have lost players - in fact every club in the division has.

If we are a club on transition in many ways so are other clubs having to bring in new players- including our opponents yesterday Airdrieonians lost one of their best strikers during the summer.

I agree our budget has been reduced but no way do I think it’s anywhere near as low as Airdries or others.

We actually brought in more new players last summer than this.  It is a fact I agree we have brought in new players and our budget is reduced.  But it is a fact plenty of other clubs in the championship have lost key players and had to bring in new ones. Also I still wouldn’t be surprised if we are the third or fourth highest budget in the division 

All 4 of our players that left all could have played Premier League football , definitely can’t replace them with the money on offer

Dundee Utd , Raith Rovers , Dunfermline, Queens Park are all above us budget wise.

We’re probably 5th or 6th alongside Morton

I’m not sure how relevant budgets are if you look at how close Arbroath got to the Premier League a couple of seasons ago

49 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

All 4 of our players that left all could have played Premier League football , definitely can’t replace them with the money on offer

Dundee Utd , Raith Rovers , Dunfermline, Queens Park are all above us budget wise.

We’re probably 5th or 6th alongside Morton

I’m not sure how relevant budgets are if you look at how close Arbroath got to the Premier League a couple of seasons ago

Don’t know if Raith Rovers are or not on a higher budget-their manager has definitely signed players we should have been looking at

Watched the highlights and the second goal is genuinely horrific.

Fitzpatrick makes no attempt to even pressure the cross.  Airdrie attackers in our penalty box as the cross comes in and 4 defenders and none of the Airdrie players are marked. The gap between Neilson and the back 4 as Airdrie start the move means Neilson has no chance to intervene and with the back 4 dropping so deep it allowed the Airdrie attack to be in the box and attack the cross. If they hold a higher line and close the space that goal can't be scored.

First goal Alston lets his man run off him as he ball watches and from there the rest is chaos.

Both goals needed organisation in the middle of the park. Perhaps the positive to take is that in both the Raith and Airdrie game we haven't conceded when we have Williamson on the park. It would be useful to know why he is being subbed in favour of keeping Bannigan on the park.

19 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Yep agree completely Jim - it’s the cuddly toy all over again.  And by the time his 2 year deal is up he will be either offered a new deal automatically or be offered a coaching post no matter how good or bad he is at it

Thistle 4 QP 0

Thistle 3 Ayr 0

Thistle 5 Ayr 0

I think SB missed all three games...

Just now, Fawlty Towers said:

I wonder how many unsolved crimes there are in the Greater Glasgow area over the last 10 years because if Police Scotland are looking to get their stats up they should just nick Banzo for most of them - he seems to be responsible for most bad things that happen!

I have been a great admirer for many a long year but in my opinion Stuart is just too slow and too negative. It pains me to see him struggle...

24 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I wonder how many unsolved crimes there are in the Greater Glasgow area over the last 10 years because if Police Scotland are looking to get their stats up they should just nick Banzo for most of them - he seems to be responsible for most bad things that happen!

He’s been a long term player for the jags no one would argue with that.

he was set to leave for Aberdeen- completely understandable as it would be far more money and a step up.

he then got badly injured- didn’t play for about a year and a half- club stuck by him.  Even in the following couple of years only played bit parts - club stuck by him.

From demotion to league one league one onwards he has not been plagued thankfully by injuries but he has not in my opinion been absolutely brilliant, good certainly but not brilliant.

Again to reiterate the club has more than stuck by him - however we are not a charity who can afford to keep him here indefinitely because he has been here a long time

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Personally i Blame Sean Welsh.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, falklandal1 said:

Personally i Blame Sean Welsh.

I thought it would be James Craigen!

I do wonder when I see people talking about the club being a charity or "old pals act" if they really believe that a manager, knowing that if results don't go their way they will be sacked, give deals to players for any reason other than they think the player is good enough? Whether they are or not is another debate of course.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Don’t know if Raith Rovers are or not on a higher budget-their manager has definitely signed players we should have been looking at

Raith Rovers canny have a bigger budget than us. Surely not!

With the greatest of respect, where do people on here or any forum get their budget info for other clubs or ours for that matter. Complete pie in the sky guess work and I take any such chat with a sack a salt. 

Raith Rovers were in dire financial straights last season and last game of the season they played us with 2 subs on bench. 

As far as I'm aware they get poorer crowds than us and haven't had a big finance injection.

3 minutes ago, The Legend Blows said:

With the greatest of respect, where do people on here or any forum get their budget info for other clubs or ours for that matter. Complete pie in the sky guess work and I take any such chat with a sack a salt. 

Raith Rovers were in dire financial straights last season and last game of the season they played us with 2 subs on bench. 

As far as I'm aware they get poorer crowds than us and haven't had a big finance injection.

You are correct that there is a lot of "I know a man who knows a man" type of discussion about what goes on at clubs.

With regards to Raith there was a change over the summer with several people previously involved at Kelty coming in. At the time it was stated by the then chairman that whilst there would be some financial investment they were mainly bringing in changes to the infrastructure.

11 minutes ago, The Legend Blows said:

I agree with you regarding our and other teams budgets and those who claim to be ITK, although i would suspect that Dundee Utd will have the biggest budget in our league. Some directors left Kelty Hearts and put money into Raith Rovers IIRC.

Fawlty Towers beat me to it.

Edited by Auld Jag

10 minutes ago, The Legend Blows said:

The guys behind Kelty's rise from Fife Junior league to League 1 moved to take over Raith Rovers at the end of last season. They have a good level of money and resources for our level behind them. I'd be surprised if our budget is the same or more given the deficit we were left with by the old board.

27 minutes ago, The Legend Blows said:

The 2 subs will have had nothing to do with budgets and more to do with injuries. 
We know that our budget was overstated by 600K last year, which is a fairly big chunk of our admin costs.

Before the Raith league game, Matt who hosts the Thistle Draw Lose or Draw podcast (worth a listen!) interviewed his Raith counterpart, whom you would expect to be fairly clued up about his own club. I cannot recall the detail as it is a couple of weeks ago now, but the Raith interviewee clearly thought that there had been significant fresh investment which had "promoted" Raith up the financial resources, and consequently the expectation, "ladder". He was assessing expected finishing positions as 3rd for Raith and 5th for Thistle, and that seemed fairly budget-based.

11 hours ago, javeajag said:

I wasn’t making a scapegoat out of Aidan for yesterday ….just pointing out that overall he doesn’t consistently work hard enough ….it’s not that he can’t or doesn’t do it simply  he doesn’t do it often enough.

I don't get the big Fitzy love in and he usually does very little of the hard work. But, fair play to him, if we were going to score in the second half yesterday it was going to be through him.  And McMillan never stopped, he's good.    AND to the guy with the pink boots,  you ain't no Tiff,  prove yourself then showboat the boots.  Dools get him telt.