Away to Airdrie

Jaggernaut

17 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Sandy you could say the same if every team in this division- we are not the only team with lots of new players.

personally while we have less of a budget our recruitment has not been good enough for a large part

Fair point TL. But we lost some good players like Turner/Docherty. It will take time for our new signings to click. 

9 minutes ago, sandy said:

Fair point TL. But we lost some good players like Turner/Docherty. It will take time for our new signings to click. 

I agree we have lost some very good players but regarding new signings clicking- this is the same for all teams including our opposition today.

As I say I don’t think a lot of the new signings are good enough.

can’t believe Bannigan was given a new 2 year deal- we really are the cuddly toy

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I just imagine you if this was McCall’s start …but it isn’t it’s doolans  do far not good

Putting it into context, McCall assembled an expensive squad that should have performed better. And only did when Doolan came in. We are now paying for the previous board's proliferation and McCall making a rit arse of it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Everything will be okay though we have an injury prone 37 year old coming in - everything will be fine (not)

After today’s performance a defensive midfielder should be the priority. Although Doolan brought on Neilson today to replace Williamson that for me underlined the fact he doesn’t yet trust Stanway (maybe he will send him out on loan again?).

My guess is Neilson will start as a CB in the next league game and with Ngwenya signed we have enough cover at CB although whether the quality is good enough time will tell.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I agree we have lost some very good players but regarding new signings clicking- this is the same for all teams including our opposition today.

can’t believe Bannigan was given a new 2 year deal- we really are the cuddly toy

Don’t think you can judge any of the new players after 2 games, if you were at the game today our most experienced players were poor, Muirhead , Lawless , Bannigan and Graham.

Wasiri was our best player by a mile today, Doolan needs to play some of the new signings from the start to get them up and running.

No idea why Danny Mullen wasn’t kept , knew the League, had a work ethic and could nick a goal from the bench 

Not sure where that’s coming from now .

This was always going to be a team in transition this season, it’s going to take time .

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Don’t think you can judge any of the new players after 2 games, if you were at the game today our most experienced players were poor, Muirhead , Lawless , Bannigan and Graham.

Wasiri was our best player by a mile today, Doolan needs to play some of the new signings from the start to get them up and running.

No idea why Danny Mullen wasn’t kept , knew the League, had a work ethic and could nick a goal from the bench 

This was always going to be a team in transition this season, it’s going to take time .

Probably would have kept Mullen if both he and Dowds were out of contract. Unfortunately a previous manager gave Dowds a 2 year deal. Was also signed on a pre contract so no even a stop gap desperation signing. 🤣

Edited by The Legend Blows

41 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

So far, Doolan's recruitment looks poor.

We only had 2 new signings in the team today, Williams and Williamson who were our best players until Williamson went off injured .

It’s the more experienced players that are letting us down at the moment.

It would be good to find out if the new signings can cut it at this level 

Worrying that, despite all of the central midfielders we have, we had to put a centre half in midfield to supposedly shore things up. 

Banzo and Alston are good players but they are far too slow and poor in the tackle to play together .

Our pressing today was also a shambles. Airdrie were knocking it about at the back and rather than collectively pressuring the ball, individual players were closing down and no one cut off the outball. 

Hard league spell coming up with QP at home and then trips to Greenock and Ayr.

Not sure why the recruitment is being highlighted. The two new lads that started were OK today. Lawless, Bannigan and Graham all had poor games. The lack of movement further up the park, especially in the first half, was alarming. Fitzpatrick saw so much of the ball, and tho' he played well he suffered from nobody busting a gut to get close to assist him.

Neilson coming into defensive mid appeared to plug the glaring gap in midfield. But soon after he came on we were chasing the game, so it's hard to see just how effective he'd be in midfield. And as luck would have it we can't try him out there next Sunday.

Fairly impressed with Airdrie today. Seemed to have so much more time on the ball than we did. How much they were helped by our lack of movement is another matter.

16 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

I’ve questioned Bannigan being given a 2 year deal numerous times 

9 of the players are here from last season- there’s plenty of other teams in transition in the championship as well 

Theres not really any excuses for a professional and as experienced a footballer as Alston to be looking so unfit 

Edited by Third Lanark
  • Like 1

Really poor all over pitch today… midfield was overrun by Airdrie today who looked miles better faster and more cohesive than we did. Players from last season are struggling and why we come out for the second half and play as if game is won is beyond me! Really need to get defence sorted as no clean sheets after 6 games is a worry. Could have let in 4 or 5 today. 

7 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I’ve questioned Bannigan being given a 2 year deal numerous times 

9 of the players are here from last season- there’s plenty of other teams in transition in the championship as well 

Theres not really any excuses for a professional and as experienced a footballer as Alston to be looking so unfit 

Got to agree re Alston , no idea why he was signed , plenty of experience in the team already and also plenty midfield players competing for places

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

When I saw the Bannigan deal it pretty much signalled we are not serious about being a Club that competes 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Putting it into context, McCall assembled an expensive squad that should have performed better. And only did when Doolan came in. We are now paying for the previous board's proliferation and McCall making a rit arse of it.

I think our financial issues were caused by a lot more than McCall signing players ? 

The £600K black hole cant be  blamed on McCall Playing Budget - there is a lot more to it than that 

The lauding of doolans recruitment strategy needs to be drawn back in ……we will know probably during October whether the new signings have been good and if the team is playing well. It’s clearly a poor start and the ‘ team are gelling down ‘ excuse applies to every team in the league.

we have lost 2 goals in both games clue ….

Edited by javeajag

Our start to the league has been concerning. After being ahead in both games and only getting 1 point is not good enough, but for me we should wait and see where we are after the first quarter of the league is finished.

As i said last week Doolan has only been a manager for less than 6 months. 

I have noticed in the past some teams who just miss out on promotion, seem to carry some sort of hangover into the next season, it happened with Morton the season after we won the league and Arbroath struggled last season after missing out on winning promotion the previous season. 

For what it's worth I'd hang fire with the doom and gloom squad slating. I'm Thistle's No.1 depressed pessimist but as Auld Jag says let's get quarter one out the way and see how we're shaping up. League can easily be won with a honkin start then a mad mental unbeaten run. Seen it happen loads over the years.

Getting hammered at Tyncastle next week may set us back mind you.

Edited by The Legend Blows