Thistle v Arbroath 6.1.24

elevenone

I have 100% win strike rate when starting threads this year so here we go.

Unless I have missed any injury news I expect Dools will go with same starting 11 as midweek.  Another tough game despite their similar caning to us from Dundee Utd as they got decent draw vs Raith prior to that.  Attack, attack, attack I think they way here as our defence do not look at sorts to keep a clean sheet at present and also lets hope Arbroath do not bring on their sub keeper up front again.  Big 3 points for grabs as we look to cement that 3rd place.

Gonna say another 3-2.

You would think that he would need to give McBeth some decent amount of game time tomorrow either from the start or from the bench. Either way, I guess Stanway would be the one to give way.Graham usually struggles at this time of year, so maybe he could do with a rest too.

Think it would be fair to say McBeth will be reasonably match fit. Level of fitness from juniors to our division will be a big jump but he's been training with us for a few weeks now. Would reckon he'll play alongside Bannigan till he can be fully assessed. Whether he'll then be able to solo as defensive mid is of course a big ask.

Graham will not be dropped. He is the captain. When fit, Sneddon, McMillan, Milne, Aero, Neilson, Fitz, Lawless and Graham are guaranteed to start.

That just leaves 3 in midfield from Banzo, Stanway,McInroy, Alston and McBeth. Historicaly Dools doesn’t make unforced changes

58 minutes ago, westertonjagfan said:

I would like to see Mitchell starting tomorrow.

Fair enough, but the guy is just returning from injury, if indeed fit to play. What I wonder is if Sneddon has an average game tomorrow (no daft mistakes, no match saving saves) will he retain his position when Mitchell is 100% ready to return?  Asking a similar question to whether Doolan will drop Graham or how poor Big Brian will have to reach to get dropped. I don't believe it's so much a loyalty issue with Doolan as more his value of continuity. So that said holding that value AND dropping his captain would be a major decision.

My guess is Kris for another week at least will stick to his guns and pick, injuries aside, an unaltered starting XI  

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

25 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Fair enough, but the guy is just returning from injury, if indeed fit to play. What I wonder is if Sneddon has an average game tomorrow (no daft mistakes, no match saving saves) will he retain his position when Mitchell is 100% ready to return?  Asking a similar question to whether Doolan will drop Graham or how poor Big Brian will have to reach to get dropped. I don't believe it's so much a loyalty issue with Doolan as more his value of continuity. So that said holding that value AND dropping his captain would be a major decision.

My guess is Kris for another week at least will stick to his guns and pick, injuries aside, an unaltered starting XI  

I think you are right, but having said we needed a defensive midfielder, signing one and not playing him would be a bit baffling.

Although Arbroath are not on a great run, apart from the 3-0 defeat to Dundee Utd their recent defeats have all been by 1 goal so I expect them to be tricky opponents tomorrow. They have been struck with a lot of injuries which has meant several players playing with knocks and others having to play the full 90 minutes at a time of year when the games come thick and fast on sometimes heavy pitches.

I think we have enough going forward to win but am not expecting it to be a rout (hope to be proved wrong).

Agree with those that say we will start with the same as Tuesday. Depending how the game is going i think McBeth will get some game time tomorrow.

As others have said although Arbroath are second bottom of the league this will not be an easy game. Would be good to see us start on the front foot. Tuesday night it took us about 10 minutes to get into the game, which is quicker than some other games. Also cut out the mistakes Thistle.

Passed Jamie Sneddon while halfway round Victoria Park parkrun this morning (he was spectating, not running). Managed to gasp “Jamie Sneddon” and give him a thumbs up. He smiled and waved back.

Hoping this is a good omen. Was there not a goalkeeper (forget who) called “the Cat”?

• Downvote 1

19 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Graham will not be dropped. He is the captain. When fit, Sneddon, McMillan, Milne, Aero, Neilson, Fitz, Lawless and Graham are guaranteed to start.

That just leaves 3 in midfield from Banzo, Stanway,McInroy, Alston and McBeth. Historicaly Dools doesn’t make unforced changes

And therein lies part of his problem …we are averaging c 1.8 goals conceded per game but let’s not change much 

2 hours ago, dl1971 said:

New keeper signed. Looks like a change coming. Offensively we are averaging 1 94 goals scored per game, so not much wrong there. 

Ross Stewart from Hearts ……. We don’t actually have a very good record with keepers who have a surname of Stewart, do we? 😖

I'm wondering what the transfer strategy is. I know that Stewart's confirmation hasn't come in, but have Stewart and McBeth been signed to come straight into the side? It's not just the depth of the squad that has been the issue, but rather the starting XI. Would like to see guys coming in who can go straight into the team and improve us rather than just filling a place on the bench. 

Edited by Yellow & Redneck