Partick Thistle 🔴 🟡 Vs Livingston 🟡⚫️ - up for the cup

jagfox

1 hour ago, JeanieD said:

CJ

Given our, frankly, appalling Scottish Cup record over the past 40 odd years the "magic" (such as it ever was) has totally evaporated - from Dumbarton at home, Cowdenbeath at home, Meadowbank (LIVI !!!) at their place, the results and performances have been dire. Also the Cup has lost a bit of sparkle - I'm old enough to remember back to back games against Dunfermline in the late 60s - both draws, both at Firhill. The League attendance was c6,000, the Cup attendance a week later was almost triple that - such was the allure of the Cup back then - nowadays Cup attendances are, by comparison, very poor - not helped by season tickets not being valid as well!

The main interest for me nowadays as regard the Cup is to gaze in amazement at the manufacturing of the draws for each round. 

I was at both these games as well.

Alex Ferguson was Dunfermline's centre forward. The league game was a very exciting 0 -0 draw. Both teams missed good chances. But I recall we were fortunate to get away with a draw.

According to the Jags Official History Book the attendance was 7000.

The following week the Jags, after failing to score the previous week, scored the opening goal in the first or second minute. The Official History credits Billy Cunningham with the goal but I thought Tommy Rae was the goal scorer. However Dunfermline grew into the game and I think Ferguson equalised half way through the second half.  The attendance is recorded as 19,104.

I think these attendance figures prove your point about the magic of the Cup.

The replay at East End Park is best forgotten 5-1 Dunfermline.. Arthur Duncan scored a consolation goal and the attendance was recorded as 16500.

At least we got some dosh!

That season 1966/67 we finished 12th in the League with 30 points. Hearts were 11th also with 30 points but with a superior goal difference.

Dunfermline finished 8th with 38 points.

Celtic wom the League. St Mirren and Atr were relegated.

Hopefully nobody will again call for Adeloye to start in place of Graham.

Walsh I believe disallowed their goal in the first half as he realised he’d boobed by awarding a corner when it should have been a throw in. His ending of the game was a disgrace. Livi wasted at least 2 mins after scoring, we should at least have been allowed to take the corner we won

2 hours ago, jagfox said:

The ref wasn't the problem. Conspiracy theories just cloud the actual issues.

You're probably correct and he  certainly isn't responsible for our obsession with protecting a lead very badly. We were so much in control in the first half hour it was criminal not to press home our advantage. If I'm honest our 2nd goal was so much against the run of play, I didn't feel we were secure when it was scored.

It doesn't change the fact that their 1st goal came from an absolute joke of corner. It so blatantly deflected off the Livi player it beggered belief. He is a liability of a referee, never seen him give anything other than a car crash of a performance. Think my favourite today was when  Muirhead got halfed in two right in front of him and he still didn't detect a foul.

Having said that Livi kept going when we were in cruise control, for that alone they deserved to win. 

• Like 1

Couldn't make the game today and gutted we lost. Will watch highlights imminently. Bit of context. We've just lost to a team who have been in the SPL for quite a few years. Their players and budget likely to be far superior to us. So is it really surprising we got beat? 

1 minute ago, dl1971 said:

Couldn't make the game today and gutted we lost. Will watch highlights imminently. Bit of context. We've just lost to a team who have been in the SPL for quite a few years. Their players and budget likely to be far superior to us. So is it really surprising we got beat? 

How can this mob survive at all.. they bring 300. Fans today to the 5th round of the Scottish cup,  We would take more than that Vs anyone..

23 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

How can this mob survive at all.. they bring 300. Fans today to the 5th round of the Scottish cup,  We would take more than that Vs anyone..

Get that. They live off being in the SPL and the revenue that comes from that. 

2 hours ago, Muscat Jag said:

You're probably correct and he  certainly isn't responsible for our obsession with protecting a lead very badly. We were so much in control in the first half hour it was criminal not to press home our advantage. If I'm honest our 2nd goal was so much against the run of play, I didn't feel we were secure when it was scored.

It doesn't change the fact that their 1st goal came from an absolute joke of corner. It so blatantly deflected off the Livi player it beggered belief. He is a liability of a referee, never seen him give anything other than a car crash of a performance. Think my favourite today was when  Muirhead got halfed in two right in front of him and he still didn't detect a foul.

Having said that Livi kept going when we were in cruise control, for that alone they deserved to win. 

I can confirm as regards the ridiculous award of the corner as I was standing a few feet away. I did explain to Mr Walsh that he should have awarded a goal kick, but he blanked me.

I thought that Milne, Bannigan and Williams (when he came on) played well. Neilson was a Rolls Royce in the first half, but a Rover in the second.

Fair enough to Doolan for holding his hands up but it’s pretty basic management that you give things five minutes to settle down after scoring before making subs.

They couldn’t cope with Lawless, to replace him with Diack was daft. He’s a good prospect but he’s not a winger, looked well out his depth.

Graham made the defenders work, Adeloye does absolutely nothing in comparison. Our subs were woeful, Alston especially looked like he’d played 100+ mins. 

Just very frustrating, a chance to get to a QF and make some money and chucked it away against a very poor team. 

30 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

I can confirm as regards the ridiculous award of the corner as I was standing a few feet away. I did explain to Mr Walsh that he should have awarded a goal kick, but he blanked me.

I never saw it being a goal kick from my seat in the JH but having just seen the Sportscene highlights how in ****s name can a supposed top ref get that wrong? Shocking decision! Just to even it up the hand ball by Milne should have been a penalty and he got that wrong too, but if he doesn’t get the first decision so wrong there might not have been extra time. Abysmal ref but we already knew that.

Not an excuse for our capitulations in 2 games, but his incompetent decisions had a major bearing in both of them

1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

Get that. They live off being in the SPL and the revenue that comes from that. 

It’s the same mob who beat us when we were in the spl and the same mob who the season before that were in league one.  We would have therefore had several years of big revenue over them back then.  I guess it doesn’t always make a difference.  Might not have either if we hadn’t thought the game was won by 62 minutes 

We were the better team in the first half and deserved to be ahead thru a very good McInroy goal. Second half Livingston came out in the front foot and we scored our second against the run of play. From where i was standing in the front of the Lambie stand the ball quite clearly hit of the arm/hand of the Livingston player after coming off Neilson. Apart from Adeloye's shot off the woodwork can't remember us creating much in the last 20 minutes or so. A good chance passed up to get into the 1/4 finals at least.

Livi were bigger, faster, stronger, and more creative. We had no answer to Nouble, and on the right side on the second half we succumbed to exactly the same kinds of moves that we enjoy between Lawless and McMillan.

If we get them again in the playoffs (a big "if"?), I wouldn't expect us to come out on top over two matches.

And our subs added nothing positive. Adeloye was unluckly with his one shot, but that kind of summed us up.... just not quite good enough. 

Wouldn't disagree with any of that. The worry is surely that this was against a team that is demonstrably the worst in the Premiership by a mile and only 3 positions ahead of us in the mythical 42-club league. They've won twice in 25 matches, shipping 42 goals in that time. We are often told there's nothing much between the lower part of the premiership and the upper part of the Championship and "league expansion" gets an airing. Are they that much worse than the other 11? There must be some reason they are so easy to beat but Thistle never really looked like finding it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, a f kincaid said:

Wouldn't disagree with any of that. The worry is surely that this was against a team that is demonstrably the worst in the Premiership by a mile and only 3 positions ahead of us in the mythical 42-club league. They've won twice in 25 matches, shipping 42 goals in that time. We are often told there's nothing much between the lower part of the premiership and the upper part of the Championship and "league expansion" gets an airing. Are they that much worse than the other 11? There must be some reason they are so easy to beat but Thistle never really looked like finding it.

I think we can compete with them quite easily. The problem is that we can be a very shaky team when it comes to protecting a lead, and regardless of league form etc they were the team with all the confidence and momentum after they scored a goal.

Came on to have a rant about the 60th odd minute substitutions but see that Doolan has held his hand up to that one. 

Threw the game away.  Graham and Lawless were still bursting with cup tie energy. Being later in their careers that meant a whole lot more to them and barring an injury both would have done the 90 easy. 

Martindale couldn't have believed his luck when Doolan ran up the flag and signalled our intensions to defend a lead from the 65th minute.

Feel sorry for some of those players who put a shift in for that 2-0 lead. As well as Graham and Lawless, Bannigan had one of his best games and well I could list a few others who didn't deserve to be on the end of that poor managerial decision.

I am a great believer that mangers should be sitting in the stands and radioing down their instructions to the dugout as being above the play gives you a better perspective. Maybe if he could have seen it like we can see it he would not have done that.

Just watched Camailians video of McInroys goal and what can can you see in the Jackie. Nobody sitting in the first five or six rows at the bottom because the view of the game is crap. Get upstairs Dools

Edited by topcat
Add content

9 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Sneddon made at least three excellent saves to stop Livi winning the game much earlier than they did. The failures were the defensive midfield and the defenders failing to do their jobs properly, repeatedly.

He did make some good saves but he also missed three crosses one of which literally went through his hands and flapped at a couple more.

he is physically too slight and small. He looked like a child against their forwards.

he doesn’t come off his line even when crosses land in the six yard box, doesn’t deal with cross balls and doesn’t dominate.

1 hour ago, allyo said:

I just looked it up. Three of their starting outfield players were 6'4" and one was 6'5". I don't think I've ever seen a teams with so many really tall players.

If we get to the premiership,that’s what we will have to deal with……

half our team should be in the gym working on their upper body strength.

1 hour ago, allyo said:

I just looked it up. Three of their starting outfield players were 6'4" and one was 6'5". I don't think I've ever seen a teams with so many really tall players.

Yet with all of these giant players they are still sitting bottom of the league miles behind everyone else and will be on the championship next season.  Also these giants could not stop us going 2 nil up and cruising before our manager inexplicably made the most farcical of changes

20 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Yet with all of these giant players they are still sitting bottom of the league miles behind everyone else and will be on the championship next season.  Also these giants could not stop us going 2 nil up and cruising before our manager inexplicably made the most farcical of changes

Maybe they grew in to the game!

• Haha 3

Felt yesterday was a kinda Dingwall Revisited Lite. Also showed up our major frailties so evident this season. I never felt that confident at 2-0. Once again we were forced onto the back foot (ten outfield players behind the ball) with next to no defence in midfield. Find it hard to blame the players for not being able to do something they're not equipped to do.

Even so there is fault. Only Bannigan appeared to win some of the second balls and the players further up the pitch gave the ball away too cheaply. Trying to see a game out for 30 minutes with a two goal lead shouldn't be beyond us. Where it becomes a difficult task is when you cede possession too easily, spending maybe 80% of that half hour without the ball. Even at relatively simple things like throw ins we constantly lose possession within a couple of touches.

On a positive we may just be over our late capitulation woes. Our two cup tied players could well see to that. McBeth has looked capable of both ball winning and distribution from deep midfield. O'Reilly could add extra insurance, both in strengthening the defence and allowing another defender (probably Neilson) to step into midfield if McBeth not up to it or unavailable. Fingers truly crossed on that. In my mind it's not so much us being in the play offs. More being able to compete in the physicality side of things to win thru. Yesterday sadly highlighted that deficiency but hopefully we've got the cure.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1