Thistle v Dunfermline 23rd Feb 2024

CotterJag

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

Sorry if I am going to spoil anyone's weekend more, but we have got Dungdee Utd rolling up to Firhill next Saturday,,,Don't have nightmares comes to mind.....................

Get the thread started...

2 hours ago, allyo said:

You'll never convince me that Var is needed. Certainly not with one blatantly wrong decision. Mistakes happen, but if they take away the ability to celebrate a goal when it is scored, I don't see the point in football.

Agree with this. Further to that if VAR was in place for games like last night's they'd be finishing up at a ridiculous time. Don't the SPFL realise we've got pubs to go to?

As for the game itself who knows how it could've panned out if correct decisions were made. Yes, with the momentum in our favour we just could have gone on to win or draw the game. But it would have been papering over the cracks. For us to win a game we appear to need to be on the front foot for much too long. So even if we were 2-0 up we'd still have had to keep on that front foot for much of the game. And that's asking too much. When we're not doing so our game management is woeful. We lose the ball too easily. We struggle to regain it with great difficulty. Whatever the opposite of "killing a game" is, it applies to us. Dunfermline on the other hand protected their lead well by having the bulk of possession and thus limiting our chances of getting anything out of the game. 

Absolutely appalling referee performance last night-the worst I've ever seen ( in many years of watching shite referees). Our defence is the issue, quite clearly. However, I'm also not sure as a unit they would have felt confident with the young guy between the sticks. Can't be easy being thrown in to a game like that but his lack of confidence must have been an influence on the 4 in front of him. 

1 minute ago, westertonjagfan said:

In other news, Luke McBeth was very good..

Agreed - he looks a real find.

I didn't think Stewart was as bad as all that.  A bit skittish early in the game, and at fault for the 1st goal (but not the only one), but came on to a game.  And his distribution is SO much better than Sneddon's

39 minutes ago, westertonjagfan said:

Absolutely appalling referee performance last night-the worst I've ever seen ( in many years of watching shite referees). Our defence is the issue, quite clearly. However, I'm also not sure as a unit they would have felt confident with the young guy between the sticks. Can't be easy being thrown in to a game like that but his lack of confidence must have been an influence on the 4 in front of him. 

He's 28, 29 in April.

3 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Whilst I am as scunnered as everyone else after last night - we did not play well in the second half which we can't blame the officials for we will still be 3rd after today's game with 12 games remaining. I would still rather be in our position than Morton's, Airdrie's or Ayr's.

We will see how the scores go today. It wasn't all that long ago we looked a stick on for 3rd, if we don't sort out our defending we could struggle for top 4. Morton are the form team, we were the last to beat them when we won 2-1 at Firhill. Unlike us they seem to have had the refs decision's go for them,seems Dundee Utd should have got a penalty when Morton beat them 3-2 and we should have also got a last minute penalty against them at Cappielow that ended 1-1. They say these things even them themselves out over a season, we will see.

Agree with @lady-isobel-barnett our game management is very poor, if it was better we would be a premier league team this season and also in the next round of the Scottish cup are 2 examples that come to mind.

4 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

We will see how the scores go today. It wasn't all that long ago we looked a stick on for 3rd, if we don't sort out our defending we could struggle for top 4. Morton are the form team, we were the last to beat them when we won 2-1 at Firhill. Unlike us they seem to have had the refs decision's go for them,seems Dundee Utd should have got a penalty when Morton beat them 3-2 and we should have also got a last minute penalty against them at Cappielow that ended 1-1. They say these things even them themselves out over a season, we will see.

Agree with @lady-isobel-barnett our game management is very poor, if it was better we would be a premier league team this season and also in the next round of the Scottish cup are 2 examples that come to mind.

With 3 games left of this quarter then the final quarter teams are going to take points off one another, eg Airdrie playing Morton today. I reckon, unless we really do slump, we will be 3rd or 4th.

4 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

With 3 games left of this quarter then the final quarter teams are going to take points off one another, eg Airdrie playing Morton today. I reckon, unless we really do slump, we will be 3rd or 4th.

If we keep defending the way we have the last few games we could struggle to pick up many points.

5 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

Sorry if I am going to spoil anyone's weekend more, but we have got Dungdee Utd rolling up to Firhill next Saturday,,,Don't have nightmares comes to mind.....................

as someone else mentioned, 4 very tough fixtures coming up, which could define the rest of the season

1 hour ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

Morton 2-0 up early - there is a real danger we could be caught by them soon.

I think we are sleepwalking to 4th spot. We’ve been in a safe playoff spot for so long with no real chance of catching 2nd, I kind of expected our form to dip.

• Like 1

Notwithstanding the goalie issue, three of the back four I would argue are as good as we are going to get…. Milne is as good a left back in league, think most folk would be very keen to extend McMillans deal, Nelson seems to be very highly rated by hearts and is a Scotland u21 player. Muirhead whilst not everyone’s cup of tea I would say is a reasonable championship player…. So having said all that, why do we have one of the worst defences in league??

Edited by Grubber8468

For those that think there was anything dodgy about last night's result as opposed to pure incompetent officiating, they need to have a wee look in the direction of Ochilview. Stenny 1 - 6 Clyde!!! Now there's a result that in horse racing terms would involve the Jockey Club and a suspension of pay out at the bookies.

Reminds me of a good few seasons ago and certain results involving an unnamed club from the Tail o'the Bank.

52 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

For those that think there was anything dodgy about last night's result as opposed to pure incompetent officiating, they need to have a wee look in the direction of Ochilview. Stenny 1 - 6 Clyde!!! Now there's a result that in horse racing terms would involve the Jockey Club and a suspension of pay out at the bookies.

Reminds me of a good few seasons ago and certain results involving an unnamed club from the Tail o'the Bank.

In fairness Clyde have had a few draws and they won last week so they have been slowly improving