Queens Park vs Thistle

A little over 24 hours to kick off. Assuming no injuries from last week, I guess Doolan will go with the same team as last week. Hopefully the additional week working this set up improves our attacking options as well. QP are a different proposition under Davidson so we will need to be at the top of our game. Time for us to get back on winning ways.

The defence definitely looked more solid last week, so I hope that Doolan makes no unnecessary changes for tomorrow. I also hope that if Diack gets brought on he won't be stranded out on the wing the way he has been of late. I remember when Doolan was playing he sometimes was told to do that, and he was pretty ineffective out there. You'd think he should be able to see that Diack is an out and out striker, as he proved not so long ago. Stranding him out on the wing is a waste of his potential.

Anyway. 2-0 win for Thistle!

Edited by Jaggernaut

What we don't really know is how the attack will fare under the dual defensive mids set up. Hopefully it means less tracking back for Lawless and Fitzpatrick who anyway aren't exactly the greatest defenders. Robinson I feel is key to the formation working. He should avoid being dragged too deep and can stay closer to  Graham.

Take Jagger's point about Diack but it's likely Lawless and to a lesser degree, Fitzpatrick, will run out of steam. We don't have ready made replacements so we have to make do with either a forced change of formation or play Ricco or Zander out wide. Of course that's not to say Diack shouldn't be a straight sub for Big Brian but Adeloye appears at the moment to be first choice.

A wee mention from Neilson in his 60 second interview. He says "Get the ball wide". Don't disagree. I think our best scoring options come from cross balls. Just slightly off kilter with a strengthened central midfield. Just hope he and McBeth can supply the ammo.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

7 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

A wee mention from Neilson in his 60 second interview. He says "Get the ball wide". Don't disagree. I think our best scoring options come from cross balls. Just slightly off kilter with a strengthened central midfield. Just hope he and McBeth can supply the ammo.

I agree that good wing play especially by Fitzy and Lawless is a frequent source of our most promising attacks.

However, I think that we often play the ball wide unnecessarily as though we feel we have to do it. If the possibility is there to drive direct towards goal we should not be afraid to do so.. I would also like to see players having more pops at goal from round about the D rather than play the standard wide pass. As McInroy and Bannigan have proved on all too rare occasions, you might just score or at least provoke a ricochet off defender or keeper giving someone else the opportunity to do so.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, partickthedog said:

I agree that good wing play especially by Fitzy and Lawless is a frequent source of our most promising attacks.

However, I think that we often play the ball wide unnecessarily as though we feel we have to do it. If the possibility is there to drive direct towards goal we should not be afraid to do so.. I would also like to see players having more pops at goal from round about the D rather than play the standard wide pass. As McInroy and Bannigan have proved on all too rare occasions, you might just score or at least provoke a ricochet off defender or keeper giving someone else the opportunity to do so.

Could have not put it better myself,  what I have been for a while....................................

8 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Worth adding that not all wing play is created equal. At the tail end of last season, the pacy, driven ball across the six yard line was hugely productive for us. Teams hated it. It's very hard to defend, particularly when compared to 'bread and butter' crosses at head-height, where any defensive glance is usually enough to nullify danger. If we can get back to that driven cross with well-timed runs, we'll get the rewards.

Agree that we should be looking to win this game and in fact every game until the end of the season - including play off games if we get that far.

Draws are absolutely no use to us now!

Having said the above I have to admit I have no idea about the level of performance this Thistle team will produce!

Fingers crossed for a win.

1 hour ago, jaggy said:

Just feed Big Brian in the box and he’ll deliver :D

Given the straightforward chances that he seems to fluff, does anyone know his conversion rate? (No striker is perfect, after all.)

Edited by Fearchar
typo