Rangers Fc- A Nation Mourns?

Milo

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the defences stated in last night's programme seemed to be about being aware of 'a' Ticketus deal, but not 'the' Ticketus deal. This was never returned to, and I wonder whether that may be the grounds that D&P are claiming defamation.

It's not without credibility that Whyte negotiated one deal with Grier in attendance, then went on to negotiate the final deal in his absence.

D&P are in a dangerous position either way. However much he knew of the details one of the partners was involved in dealings with the club prior to them being involved as administrators. I think that needed, at the very least, disclosure at the outset that this was the case. That would be the situation even if what Grier says is correct about the extent of his knowledge and involvement.

What I didn't understand was that if these EBTs were the bestest tax avoidance scheme ever and totally legal and above board (unless accompanied by a side letter guaranteeing their return), why were only 40% of the players on them? Who decided whether to offer an EBT or not? And how come both Sally and Sir Wally managed to avoid being embroilled in them too?

My suspicion is that their own personal accountants or FAs told them to avoid them like the plague.

Didn't Sally get quoted as receiving an amount when he was a player - sure he was shown in the "data room".

EBT's, of course, are legal provided that they are not replacements for salary (which they were - and commented as such in docmentation) and that they are genuine loans (so we might expect Murray to send out letters recalling the amounts "loaned" any day now :-)) Once you put that to one side, I haven't a clue what use they might be!

Edited by Allan Heron

The farce that is Rangers rumbles on regardless of how reality impinges upon it. We have D+P's insisting on presenting a CVA, which in all likelihood even they know is unlikely to be accepted. They, D+P's themselves are in a sticky position themselves and it would be a surprise to no one if a significant creditor e.g. HMRC moved to have them removed as administrators. HMRC, even if they don't move to remove D+P from their role, will at some point apply the coup de grace to the present company by not allowing the appeal from Rangers over the EBT's etc. The football authorities whilst no doubt anxious to ingratiate themselves with UEFA by hammering the h*ns for their breach of sporting ethics are no doubt bricking themselves over the prospect of their product losing a substantial amount of its revenue from that well known philanthropic body owned by good ol'e Rupe' Murdoch. The admixture is completed by a supporting cast of characters, a script writer for festive entertainment would baulk as being too far fetched to add as pantomime villains. Confused, you will be after the next episode of Rangers!

It's not D&P that will be presenting the CVA, but Charles Green and his partners. Green seems to be shady enough character in his own right not to be put off by the stench emanating from D&P

Edited by Allan Heron

D+F's have really surpassed themselves now, by taking cout action against the SFA, as the de jure management of Rangers they will find themselves in breach of UEFA( and FIFA) regulations. Ipso facto leaving the SFA little alternative, to at the very least suspension of their membership. On the other hand, the realists will tell us that football has never been equitable when finances are concerned. However, it does strike me as supremely ill advised of a member club to take action against its parent association, when the consequences are all but inevitable. Are D+F's to be seen as incompetent or something else, I must confess that personally I'm beginning to suspect along the lines of the latter.

Edited by stillresigned

. Are D+F's to be seen as incompetent or something else, I must confess that personally I'm beginning to suspect along the lines of the latter.

Thought that had been obvious all along. Recent events have only confirmed what was already strongly suspected by many people.

D+F's have really surpassed themselves now, by taking cout action against the SFA, as the de jure management of Rangers they will find themselves in breach of UEFA( and FIFA) regulations. Ipso facto leaving the SFA little alternative, to at the very least suspension of their membership. On the other hand, the realists will tell us that football has never been equitable when finances are concerned. However, it does strike me as supremely ill advised of a member club to take action against its parent association, when the consequences are all but inevitable. Are D+F's to be seen as incompetent or something else, I must confess that personally I'm beginning to suspect along the lines of the latter.

I think you mean D&P...

The whole idea is to force the SFA/UEFA/FIFA to put the beast out its misery instead of them having to do it, seeing as HMRC are dragging their heels

D+F's have really surpassed themselves now, by taking cout action against the SFA, as the de jure management of Rangers they will find themselves in breach of UEFA( and FIFA) regulations.

Quality Latin verbiage there.

I expect this costly appeal is being paid for from the money raised by supporters and given to the fighting fund. That'll sit well - oodles of cash to fatcat lawyers while the big hoose burns.

I'm hoping this appeal gets the same kind of slapping that Sion's got last year after its little strop and appeal to Swiss law. Grown ups don't have a sense of humour.

If the Mankies lose their case they can either swallow the SFA ruling or quit the SFA altogether. Fun times.

Did Thistle take the SFA to court in 2004 over the second vote that allowed caley in??

No, it would be the SPL we went to court over this (and a waste of money we'd have been better spending in January that season to help us stay up IMO). So I guess that didn't count because it wasn't the national FA we went against.

I believe we did appeal to the SFA before we went to court but they just said it wasn't their business (I'm not too sure about the latter but they knocked us back anyway).

Edited by Mr Bunny

No, it would be the SPL we went to court over this (and a waste of money we'd have been better spending in January that season to help us stay up IMO). So I guess that didn't count because it wasn't the national FA we went against.

I believe we did appeal to the SFA before we went to court but they just said it wasn't their business (I'm not too sure about the latter but they knocked us back anyway).

Iirc we were going to take SPL to court but backed off at the cost. I never got my donation returned btw.

Have heard we had a very good chance of winning in court but if you can't risk the dosh that's academic.

Iirc we were going to take SPL to court but backed off at the cost. I never got my donation returned btw.

Have heard we had a very good chance of winning in court but if you can't risk the dosh that's academic.

I've seen it being quoted in a couple of papers that we went to court about this (and the suggestion I suppose is why shouldn't the currants). This bothered me enough to make me search for the facts - not easy but I managed to find (partick thistle spl legal case 2004 -[minus] rangers) enough to show that we threatened but got no further than trying to get a judgement to stop the 2nd SPL meeting which failed. (The first let us stay up but it was obvious the only reason to have a 2nd was to relegate us). We then appealed to the SFA (no use) and after that gave up due to probable expense.

So it was a bit more complicated than I remembered. However key points are:

1) we never took the SFA to court

2) we never took the SPL to court to overturn a decision, just tried to stop them overturning their own (1st decision).

3) At the time we went to court we were staying up so weren't avoiding a punishment, just anticipating being shafted by the SPL at the 2nd meeting.

I doubt whether EUFA/FIFA give damn about the SPL so long as they comply with their rules .. our little spat with them wouldn't bother them. If we'd taken the SFA to court though I'm sure it would have been a differnet matter.

The Rangers situation key points:

1) a punishment has been meted out (ban on signing and small fine) which is pretty unexceptional. This has been by the SFA not the SPL.

2) Ranger didn't deny the wrong doing that led to this punishment.

3) Taking the local FA (i.e. the SFA) to court over this is against EUFA rules

Edited by Mr Bunny

Just to show that HMRC take a hard line - Neath FC have been wound up in the High Court. Different scale, but I imagine they didn't owe as much as the buns.

According to what I read online they paid their tax bill £65,000 but Barclays then called in a loan the next day & that resulted in them being wound up.