Attendances

Lenziejag2

Clearly some of my fellow Jags fans have not grasped the point I have been driving at over recent weeks. I have never criticised good attendances achieved by SPL clubs or anyone else, nor would I couch observations in terms which might seem to emanate from somewhere near Cessnock. I have got my 1971 PTFC shirt, so that lets everyone know my affiliation! The point I have been driving at is one of relativity. We should not accept as "big" clubs outfits which can only draw diddy crowds, when there are patently BIGGER clubs in Scotland - and, yes, that does of course include the Jags! Many fellow Jags fans will recall that even when we were in SFL2 we consistently drew bigger crowds than anyone else in the division and were routinely the biggest travelling support. I disapprove of PTFC being dubbed a "sleeping giant", but I equally disapprove of diddy SPL clubs being given - unwarrantedly - more coverage, attention and financial backing than SFL clubs who are achieving relatively so much more with very restricted resources. Trust that makes things clearer! I also hope Jags fans would concur with my approach! C'mon the Jags!

Great points lenzie and it just proves we are too big for this diddy league. The top league should be determined by crowd size, travelling crowd size and stadium size.

Until you have 10000 seats you shouldn't be in the SPL, and if you have a small travelling support forget about promotion.

If however you once had good crowds, but over the last decade have struggled to average 3000 a season. Then you are welcome. That's us by the way.

And yes, coverage, the press and investors should ignore the fact that teams play in the top league so get more tv space and press coverage. Thistle are bigger than them,

Oh and the fact that you won the first division, or avoided relegation from the SPL means jack. We want our rightful place at the top table.

Do we really want "more coverage" of our team?

More coverage means more people are aware of our players, which means their head's may be turned by offers they may not have if we weren't covered "as well".

Plus with the gloryhunters going back into the pubs this week i'll get my usual seat back :thumbsup2:

Do we really want "more coverage" of our team?

More coverage means more people are aware of our players, which means their head's may be turned by offers they may not have if we weren't covered "as well".

Plus with the gloryhunters going back into the pubs this week i'll get my usual seat back :thumbsup2:

Don't know if your takin the pish but I will play along....Do we want more "coverage" of our team???

Of course we do...we want in the papers daily..raises our profile....more visibilty the better.

There's was a piece in the Sun yesterday about us again..this time regarding these recording sunglasses.

People are talking about PTFC again.....and its about fckn time!!!

I don't think it is that simple. I think there is (1) a hard core of regulars - season ticket holders and people who will go to 80% of games. Then you have (2) the people who might go from 5/6 games a season to once a month. Then you have (3) the once/twice a season give it a go and get pissed off.

So for a big game you get all of (1) and (2) and some of (3).

That might seem obvious but the point is that getting increased attendances means getting the (2) to go more often which is why the 3/5/7/9 game packages are very useful as well as getting more of the (3)s to become (2)s. The (3)s aren't going to be persuaded by a 9-game package, although the 3 or 5 game packages might work. They will be persuaded by good home performances.

Nail Hit Firmly on the head Chris ,100% accurate - have you ever thought of becoming an Accountant :thumbsup2:

Hope you like our work in Ghana

Todays Attendance was 2508.

Attendances of over 3000 were probably a bit unrealistic considering Livi have a crap away support.

I am sorry but that is total rubbish. Even if Livingston brought 1 fan we could still have had a crowd of over 4,000 if the people who came out for the Dunfermline game 2 weeks ago had come back today. We have won every single home game in all competitions (including friendlies), played some of the best stuff many of us have seen in a number of years and are top of the table - what more do people want?

I am sorry but that is total rubbish. Even if Livingston brought 1 fan we could still have had a crowd of over 4,000 if the people who came out for the Dunfermline game 2 weeks ago had come back today. We have won every single home game in all competitions (including friendlies), played some of the best stuff many of us have seen in a number of years and are top of the table - what more do people want?

At the end of the day you can't drag people there. Dunfermline was a one off. A big game which got people interested and wanting to come along. Facing facts we are not a big team really and I reckon that the Dunfermline game will be one of the biggest attendances of the season. The only way we will get more is if we actually have a shot of winning the league at home.

£17 to go to a game you are only half interested in is too much when Christmas is not too far away. People may even choose to save a fiver and go next week when it is only £12.

Apparently 1,000 kids at Dunf match. Good point arising is that club now have most of the kids details and will be sent u 16 season tickets for next season. It is a hard slog but with so many other interests competing for leisure time, fans will be selective and pick the bigger games to attend. Also as said elsewhere money is tight and Christmas is only just over 3 weeks away.

AJ

Some will ask "Does it matter?" or "What does it prove?" or something like that! OK, but I still think it's worth keeping tabs on the attendances in SFL1. Today's attendance at Firhill - 2508 - was disappointing, and not helped by the miserable Livi travelling support. Just compare how many we usually take to Almondvale! Elsewhere, Dunfie v Dumbie (3565), Falkirk v Accies (2682), Morton v Cowden (1526), and the paltry Airdrie v Raith (747). The total SFL1 attendance was 11028, which was less than the 12007 who turned up for Hibs v Aberdeen. Any thoughts?

Some will ask "Does it matter?" or "What does it prove?" or something like that! OK, but I still think it's worth keeping tabs on the attendances in SFL1. Today's attendance at Firhill - 2508 - was disappointing, and not helped by the miserable Livi travelling support. Just compare how many we usually take to Almondvale! Elsewhere, Dunfie v Dumbie (3565), Falkirk v Accies (2682), Morton v Cowden (1526), and the paltry Airdrie v Raith (747). The total SFL1 attendance was 11028, which was less than the 12007 who turned up for Hibs v Aberdeen. Any thoughts?

Yes, Dumbarton will have taken less to Dunfy that Livi brought to us. Leaving Dunfy with a core support of over 1,000 more than us. 1,000 fans more equates to a lot of extra income.

Morton's crowd has fallen away badly in recent years.

Falkirk also have a bigger core support than us.

Airdrie are a 2nd div team in every sense.

Hibs and Aberdeen are doing well in the SPL. Hibs if they won and Celtic lost went top but if Aberdeen won they went 2nd. A good game for both sets of fans as there is something to play for and the attendance reflects this.

Falkirk vs Hamilton & Airdrie vs Raith - both sitting mid/bottom of the table, terrible start to the season and season pretty much over by Christmas - why would fans flock in big numbers and pay to see that? The only team with any hope is Raith but even then that would require a big change in form.

Morton vs Cowden - would imagine most of that was Morton as Cowdens away support is not great. Would have expected this to be higher though since Morton are 3rd. Does make you wonder how many Morton will bring to Firhill.

Dunfermline vs Dumbarton - This was meant to be Dunfermline's Sell Out Saturday due to their money troubles - didn't work eh? I imagine most of it was Dunfermline though - Dumbarton's season is over and will be back in the 2nd div next season.

I know Livingston did not bring a lot of away fans but I am thankful to the ones who came and spent their money at Firhill and would rather not be too critical of any of away fans who do come to Firhill. It may be us one day who only bring say 100 fans to an away day - you never know.

I think we need to realise that football isn't that important to many people. I know because I went about 4-5 years where I only went to about 5 matches; it wasn't that I stopped supporting the club, but because I felt I had better things to do. It was only in the past couple of years that I started following with any regularity, leading to a season ticket purchase this season.

The Dunfermline match, and the Ramsdens Cup final, attract people who only go occasionally, but they won't suddenly start going to every match, let alone a somewhat insignificant one like today's. People will come back in time if we keep this up, but not overnight. I think we have to be realistic.

Edging towards above tho' little_miss_jag makes a good enough point. Most of us were more than just surprised about the Dunfermline turnout so maybe using that as a yardstick would result in an over optimistic guestimate of today's attendance. Think tho' the crowd today was still a bit disappointing.

9 games at home this season and attendances read as follows:

Dunfermline: 5268

Falkirk: 3487

Dumbarton: 2944

Hamilton: 2603

Airdrie: 2545

Cowdenbeath: 2527

Livingston: 2508

Cove Rangers: 1957

Raith Rovers: 1807

What do you take from that?

Well, eliminate the Dunfy, Cove, Raith and Falkirk games as they were one off's.

That leaves 5 games. 4 of them range between 2500-2600. With only Dumbarton(second game of the season) well ahead at nearly 3000.

Time would be my answer a decade or so of crap football, board members p#"¤ing off the support etc takes time to get the fans faith back, its like a reputation the hardest thing to build up but the easiest to destroy

The crowd was disappointing today given that we took 1400 fans to Hamilton a week earlier. Think if we had won that game and kept the Dunfermline game momentum going, we might have got close to 3000 today. Still with Xmas just round the corner and Livi's poor away support, dont suppose it was too bad!

The crowd was disappointing today given that we took 1400 fans to Hamilton a week earlier. Think if we had won that game and kept the Dunfermline game momentum going, we might have got close to 3000 today. Still with Xmas just round the corner and Livi's poor away support, dont suppose it was too bad!

I think a win at Hamilton would have added another couple of hundred to yesterday's crowd.

Big games are always going to attract more casual supporters.

I was thinking at the game who the hell was at the Dunfermline game and decided not to go yesterday, everything about that game was perfect, the performance, the result, the atmosphere, the crowd, etc.

But then again Celtic had their best result in recent history the other week yet a quarter of them never bothered going back yesterday.