Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

Stephane Zubar on trial next week.

Noticed there's no trialists in today's team at Fleetwood , Barr missing too. McMillan seems to be in at LB . Really need to strengthen that defense before the start of the season. Dont know much about Zubar but we could do with something working out soon.

Noticed there's no trialists in today's team at Fleetwood , Barr missing too. McMillan seems to be in at LB . Really need to strengthen that defense before the start of the season. Dont know much about Zubar but we could do with something working out soon.

According to Wikipedia he can play right back or CB.

Totally agree with you , I would be a bit concerned going into the season with that team, when you look at the bench there's not a lot of options, unless we get signings IMO it's going to be a long hard season.

Stephane Zubar on trial next week.

This year's Piccolo then?

10 days to go before the start of the season & 2 out of the 6 signings that were mooted. Can't leave them all to the last week & end up with none so I'm guessing so long as he isn't a bombscare during Sunderland game he'll get a deal!!

Whatever way you look at it- manager, scouting or board level- we have made a mess of this window!!

Trialists in & out for the positions we're looking for over the past 5/6 weeks but none fitted the bill except for Osman.

At least we haven't panicked & signed Barr or either of the left backs but I'll say again, we should have had targets in place & if we did have 3/4 for each position someone at the football is culpable for missing out on all those players.

The window might not end until the end of the month but if folk think we'll get 4 in during last week or so after failing to get goodness knows how many already, then they're kidding themselves!!

I'm all for giving youth its chance but we're asking a lot of them with today's squad showing how thin we are if we get a couple more long term injuries!!

People need to calm down. Deals can be held up because other teams are involved in deals/waiting to hear on players. It's like being in a chain when selling a house. I'm confident we'll see some fresh faces soon.

That is a very good point and Higgy is an example of that - he was in Huddersfield's plans at the start if last pre season so we could not get him then but things changed and we eventually got him.

Interesting to see that Barr turned out for Motherwell today in their friendly.

That's interesting. Don't know what the team was today but with no trialists I think we must assume Barr and Mustoe have been told to look elsewhere

The team was

Fox

O'Donnell

Muirhead

Balatoni

McMillan

Osman

Fraser

Stevenson

Lawless

Doolan

Higginbotham

Subs

Gallacher, Elliott, Keenan, Craigen, McDaid, Wilson, Duggan

Barr and Mustoe may have wanted more money than was on offer.

Edited by kni

That is a very good point and Higgy is an example of that - he was in Huddersfield's plans at the start if last pre season so we could not get him then but things changed and we eventually got him.

Interesting to see that Barr turned out for Motherwell today in their friendly.

Yeah. Not doubting we'll get one, maybe two, but think we could be pushing it on four!!

As for Barr, the Motherwell fans less impressed than the jags fans that he's seen as the answer to their central defensive woes!!

Knicker wetters out in force tonight!

We will still bring in 5 or 6 players, Archie is waiting till the right players become available.

I'm not a knicker wetter.

By the manager's own admission it seems we've missed out on a number of players already.

We may well bring in 5 or 6 players but they're really needed by the end of August not January!!

It seems the manager is now saying 1 or 2.

I'd say minimum 3 in a LB, CH & CF but think we also need cover in wide areas for Higgy. Lawless not the answer for me & as for Elliot...

Edited by Trotter

This year's Piccolo then?

10 days to go before the start of the season & 2 out of the 6 signings that were mooted. Can't leave them all to the last week & end up with none so I'm guessing so long as he isn't a bombscare during Sunderland game he'll get a deal!!

Whatever way you look at it- manager, scouting or board level- we have made a mess of this window!!

Trialists in & out for the positions we're looking for over the past 5/6 weeks but none fitted the bill except for Osman.

At least we haven't panicked & signed Barr or either of the left backs but I'll say again, we should have had targets in place & if we did have 3/4 for each position someone at the football is culpable for missing out on all those players.

The window might not end until the end of the month but if folk think we'll get 4 in during last week or so after failing to get goodness knows how many already, then they're kidding themselves!!

I'm all for giving youth its chance but we're asking a lot of them with today's squad showing how thin we are if we get a couple more long term injuries!!

You may be right that a mess has been made of it, but you can't judge until well into the season.

Also there is no point in signing players if they aren't better than what we have already.

That's interesting. Don't know what the team was today but with no trialists I think we must assume Barr and Mustoe have been told to look elsewhere

Haha. Shouldn't laugh but it's nervous laughter. We're f**ked this season. Canny wait til the window closes and we have either no more new players or 3 panic frees. Interesting to see the comments come Christmas when we're rooted 10 points clear at the bottom.

You may be right that a mess has been made of it, but you can't judge until well into the season.

Also there is no point in signing players if they aren't better than what we have already.

We shouldn't be in the position in the first place of maybe having to sign players that are no better. We are a professional football team in the top flight of Scottish football, not Maryhill Juniors. Not buying into the BS that we've been unlucky or are waiting for right players to become available. Archie should be judged on results and league positions but equally on his ability to assemble a decent squad. Maxi also at fault here too. Not good enough imo.
  • Like 1

Knicker wetters out in force tonight!

You are mistaking knicker wetters for supporters that are genuinely concerned about the lack of transfer activity at the club. We will get some players in, because if we don't, we are going to be serious relegation candidates.....there's no Hearts this season and I don't think any of us want to be in the bottom two this season. Wish people would stop mentioning Higgy and Ozzy as examples of players being signed late last season. That counts for sod all this season. The club don't seem to have recovered from missing out on Lyle Taylor. Let's just hope we see something positive in the transfer market next week.

• Like 3

So why aren't we able to sign players that are better than what we have already?

We've had the BoD tell us that the wages on offer will be more than last season so that should attract a better player for starters.

We knew the defence wasn't good enough last season come Christmas so bring in Lee Mair, who was just about an ever present to end of season. We release him so must have better lined up... No? Stands to reason for me.

ATS difficult to replace but knew a year ago he wasn't staying so should have had targets in mind to be brought in early rather than trialists.

Taylor. The longer it went with him not signing the less likely I thought he would. I'm not privvy to behind the scenes discussions but again we should have this position/ players identified & on more wages this season should be able to attract.

Erskine brought in on loan as a better option than Lawless/Elliot. Erskine's back at DU, we're left with Lawless & Elliot again.

We may still do so but if the manager is saying he wants 6 in & had 3/4 players identified for the positions required. Then the BoD are telling us there are more wages available for this season then surely we should be able to attract better?

If not, why not?

Edited by Trotter

Haha. Shouldn't laugh but it's nervous laughter. We're f**ked this season. Canny wait til the window closes and we have either no more new players or 3 panic frees. Interesting to see the comments come Christmas when we're rooted 10 points clear at the bottom.

And all the time you'll be in front of your computer with one hand on the keyboard and the other tugging yourself off.

The team was

Fox

O'Donnell

Muirhead

Balatoni

McMillan

Osman

Fraser

Stevenson

Lawless

Doolan

Higginbotham

Subs

Gallacher, Elliott, Keenan, Craigen, McDaid, Wilson, Duggan

Barr and Mustoe may have wanted more money than was on offer.

Very much approve.. team looks good to me, even the subs

Good to go

mon the jags