Where Have All The Fans Gone

Lenziejag

• 2 months later...

Poorly supported on the day before the schools go back after everyone is rooked because of the festive period?

St. Johnstone looked to have a good few hundred more home fans than we did today.

Falkirk had 3500 yesterday, even Dunfermline had a couple of hundred more yesterday and they are murder two divisions below.

The numbers have been disappointing this season, I always think back to when we played Morton at the end of 2012/13 season and we had almost 9000. I know it was a big game, but people are obviously following the teams results and progress. Would just be good if they turned up more often.

Remember in season 2001-2002 when we were in the first division we played ICT in the cup at firhill and there was over 8000 there - incredible attendance bearing in mind both teams were in the same division.

Again both teams are in the same league and drawn each other in the cup but I'd be surprised if we got much more than a quarter if that attendance

Remember in season 2001-2002 when we were in the first division we played ICT in the cup at firhill and there was over 8000 there - incredible attendance bearing in mind both teams were in the same division.

Again both teams are in the same league and drawn each other in the cup but I'd be surprised if we got much more than a quarter if that attendance

I recall being there as well, believe standing in the terrace and it was rammed. Although I think at that time it was only about £5 for me to get in... Maybe ticket prices has a lot to do with attendance these days.

I honestly don't think there were 1300 Dundee United fans there yesterday, I reckon that was a mistake, half the main stand was closed off.

Regardless of that it was still a poor crowd and very sad to see. A lot of people just aren't prepared to come and watch any more, they simply feel that what is on show is not worth the money.

Facts are £22 is a lot of money for what is on display and the conditions you have to watch it in. The product is grossly overpriced in this country. I could take my wife and myself to the cinema, be entertained for two hours, in comfortable seats and in the warmth and probably have a few quid left over for what is costs me alone to sit in bird shit covered seats in the freezing cold. These are facts. Cutting the prices to say £15 would get us fans back, but whether it would be enough to justify the drop is dubious. No easy answer to this sadly.

Good point, although I suppose that was a quarter final where two first division sides had a rare opportunity to get to Hampden (which of course we did after the replay :fan: ). Remember that game well for the cracking atmosphere, think it finished 2-2.

Were we not also top of the league at the time as well? If so, it maybe suggests, as with the big attendance against Morton, that folk turn up more often when they expect to see a winning side? Maybe that is overly cynical, but I doubt many occasional Jags attendees would have expected to see a win yesterday.

Still think expense is the biggest factor though, and it certainly puts me off going to away games at the moment.

In the last year I have taken two friends from Germany, one from Isle of Wight, and a couple from London, and others from various other places in Scotland to games. They all love it when they are in the North Stand...they like the atmosphere, the banter, and the experience (for some reason). They all adopt us as a second team. These are people who go to a lot of football in a variety of settings.They feel engaged with the beating heart of the club.

Some things about the matchday experience must be good. And perhaps we are all too close to really evaluate it - although the dirty seats drive me wild too.

I firmly believe that to make a success you need to align the aspirations and attitudes of club employees,directors, volunteers, even players, and fans. And of those the badge 'being a partick thistle fan' is the most important. So we can all help....but someone needs to show some vision and passion about what we could become!

• Like 1

Once Buddhism takes off as a mass religion in Scotland we will be fine .....

There is no one answer to this its all the points being raised....we have a distorted football market in Scotland due to sectarianism that squeezes clubs like us

It still amazes and disappoints me that such a large proportion of Scottish football fans choose to support sectarian clubs.

I think a way to regain interest of folk who have fallen by the way side would be to reintroduce the player interaction on social media.

During the first division campaign there was a real togetherness between fans and players, I think if the players were to regularly get back on the likes of twitter, having them appear on folks timelines might encourage fans to return.

During the first division campaign there was a real togetherness between fans and players, I think if the players were to regularly get back on the likes of twitter, having them appear on folks timelines might encourage fans to return.

I remember reading something after we had been promoted that Archie and the Board had told the players to reign it in a bit with regards to social media. I do remember a few less than advisable comments being posted.

No I'd much rather sit and freeze my bollocks off, or failing that get absolutely soaked. Or if you're really lucky both, what's not to like about summer football. Particularly, for those of us who are not as sprightly as we once were.

Not a panacea but there is no way crowds would be worse.

It's the general malaise of the Scottish game. The brainwashing of Sky and the English Premiership. Who would have thought the late Ernie Walker and Jim Farry in the SFA were correct in ensuring all tv games were banned when a Scottish match was played to avoid clashing. Now we have blanket tv coverage and loads of pub punters watching but not going to games.

In terms of product we put a decent team on the pitch. Players like Higgy, Stevenson and Lawless have great skill. Bannigan, Fraser are young guys who will probably move on to bigger things. All our team are professional and to be honest likeable guys. The atmosphere in the stadium is pretty good especially when compared with other stadiums and fans are allowed to stand at the North Stand. Pricing is comparable with other clubs and we have the excellent Under 16's free initiative. I love the cinema especially some arty documentaries and the occassional foreign film at the GFT. I went to see "Birdman" at Cineworld on Saturday but I enjoyed the game on Sunday far more. Low expectation to begin with. 4 goals. Great performance. Cracking 90 minutes.

I do think all clubs need to make games more of an event. Get people in earlier with entertainment and better food and drink offers and also have them stay after. It would hopefully encourage more people and also get more money.