Conrad

Lindau

It's all very well saying sack the agent but realistically how many options does a guy at conrad's level actually have for an agent?

Maybe it's a case of the player thinking he's better than he actually is? That opinion may well have been influenced by an agent right enough.

I think he was at the stage where he just had to take whatever deal he could get - he was on trial at dunfermline as well.

Just to clarify, I don't consider Balatoni a muppet because he signed for Killie; as RM said above, a man needs to earn.

He's a muppet because he allowed himself to believe that he was better than he was (which is hardly the greatest crime of the century) and expressed ambition to travel and play abroad...and then proceeded to go as far as Bradford before hooring himself out to teams around our level and below. Balatoni left of his own accord to better himself and has ended up on a short-term contract at a club no better than the one he left; a club who would have happily kept him on, don't forget.

That's why he's a muppet.

Edited by Armand2

I dunno .... Archie had brought in Seabourne and Frans, With lindsay and Hendry coming thru, and his former wing man Aero having left the building .... I say fair play to big conrad for airing his baws to the world and saying come and get me.

sad to see him go, gutted he's ended up at killie, reckon he might regret it.... time, will only tell.

"haw conrad ya big pr1ck!" will stick in the throat a wee bit... f**kin killie........ ..... sh1te pie munchin squirrel tampering c**ts.

According to Conrad, jags offered him a contract to come back after Jack left for Wigan!

CONRAD BALATONI feared he would end up BALD after a summer of stress and strain.

The Kilmarnock new boy opened up on a hellish few months after quitting Partick Thistle in May.

Balatoni saw a proposed move to Bradford City fall through as he searched for a new club.

conrad

Balatoni admits stress over finding a club after Jags had him fearing he would go bald

The big stopper began to fear the worst — with no income to pay his mortgage and other bills.

But, after penning a short-term deal with Killie, he insists he has no regrets about leaving the Jags.

Balatoni, 24, said: “It was frustrating. I’ve never been in that position before, I think I’ve lost more hair than I ever have!

“It is stressful because you’re not getting an income, I’ve been out of a job since May.

“You’re looking and wondering what’s going to happen and see all these players out of contract.

“You think ‘am I going to get anything?’ or will I maybe drop down a couple of leagues and go part-time.

“It was the most unsettling part of my career, without a shadow of a doubt. I’d never want to be in this situation again but sometimes that happens and you’ve just got to wait and see what’s around the corner.

“Something could happen a day after your contract finishes or two months later. That’s part and parcel of football.

“Luckily for me I’m quite good with my money and I’ve saved some because I knew the situation I could find myself in.

“I wasn’t panicking and didn’t jump at the first opportunity that came. I wanted to right one.

“Did I regret leaving Thistle? I made my decision probably in January that I’d be going.

“I‘d had five great years there and they also offered me a contract just before I signed here.

“But I didn’t want to sign it because I’d left and in my mind it wasn’t right to go back. I wanted a new challenge.

“Once they sold Jack Hendry to Wigan they came back and offered me a contract but I felt it’d be best to sever all ties with them.

“It’s part and parcel of being a footballer, sometimes you’ve got to take the risks. I took the risk to leave Partick looking for a new challenge and it didn’t work out the way I was expecting it. But you’ve got to make these choices and I think I’ve made the right one.”

From the outside, the life of a footballer appears to be all glitz and glamour to the average fan.

But for an unemployed player, long lie-ins are the only comfort as they wait patiently for the phone to ring.

Balatoni said: “The public look at footballers and think they get paid good money.

“But the reality in Scotland is there’s not much money apart from at the Old Firm and maybe a couple of other teams.

“At Partick they don’t have the biggest budget and have got to use their money wisely. So you’re not always on good wages.

“The situation I found myself in was liveable but it wasn’t what people have been on in the past.

“I’m 24 and I’ve got a mortgage and bills to pay, so you worry about what’s going to happen.

“I was having a nice lie-in and going to the gym, doing a lot of interval training on the treadmill and doing weights.

“I was a bit wary about going into places just for training in case I got injured, plus I don’t have a car so it was difficult to get around. I had to stay mentally focused and stay as fit as a could in case an opportunity came, luckily I’m naturally quite a fit guy.”

Balatoni knew Killie boss Gary Locke briefly from his days at Hearts — but never really got the chance to work under him.

He admits he was partly relieved to miss out on one of his famous pre-seasons — but is keen to get up to speed as soon as possible.

He said: “I knew the gaffer when he was at Hearts with Jim Jefferies as a coach but I was on loan back then.

“I went to Italy with them for one pre-season. It was hard going!

“It’s been good to get back into football and you don’t realise how much you miss it.

“I could have waited for a bit longer but I wanted to get back playing again.

“Kilmarnock came in and the opportunity to get back in the Premiership was one I couldn’t turn down.

“It’s a short-term deal until January and we’ll see what happens after that.

“I’ve still got plenty more years to have new experiences. Hopefully I do well and then I’ll re-evaluate and see what the situation is.

“I’m just looking to get back playing first-team football and hopefully take Kilmarnock further up the league than they are now.”

• 2 weeks later...

Feel for Conrad. A nice guy and good player for Thistle.

He fancied something different but it never happened either in England or abroad. Thistle don't pay big wages so every month his bank account would be decreasing.

Killie puts him in the shop window and hopefully he gets something that he really wants.

I'll clap him like Muirhead on his return.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...