Motherwell Game.

Auld Jag

With Lindsay suspended I noticed we didn't have a single back four player on the bench. Seaborne played over an hour on a yellow. Of the younger players only Whiteside looks like he could provide emergency cover (McMullen loaned out and the full backs still a good bit away from being squad ready). Hopefully we don't get too many injuries or suspensions in that area.

On the plus side we know Christie could've covered full back and I believe Miller can play centreback so it may not be too much a problem. On the subject of Miller that's three times at least he's come back into the side and looked like he had been playing every week. That's a mark of a good professional. I'd be happy to see him here next season tho' can fully understand why he may want to move on.

Looked at the highlights on Motherwell youtube and STV, looks like a more exciting game than I remember it! Introduction of Pogba was game changer for me. He puts that little bit of danger into the mix and that flows into the other team members. Probably still not a full 90 minute player but coming on in 2nd half at a slightly earlier time might be when he can make the greatest impact.

Lawless put in a superb shift last night tireless he must have covered some distance on that pitch, which won't have been easy. As someone else stated earlier we would have lost that game last season, or at least let in an equaliser.

In our league winning season Wee Stevie rarely lasted 90 mins. Goes the full 90 plus with ease these days.

Ian Mac is correct, in our first season up or even last season we would have lost that game, and the management team should take a lot of credit for changing how we play and being a bit less gung-ho at times, without being less attractive to watch.

I don't think there is any need for another CB in the squad, Lindsay is available for Saturday and fortunately for us we do have Elliott and Miller who can adapt to a number of positions.

Therefore we should be doing our best to get GM signed up for next season, we don't have the luxury of being able to have 2 players for every position and players like him who can fill in for several position are a necessity for teams like us.

• Like 2

I seem to be alone in thinking that was an enjoyable game of football! It was never going to be a night for silky skills and it played out more like a cup tie than a league game, but there were a few flashes of skilful play from both teams. It was all about effort, though, and the Thistle players put in a real shift. The problems that have been identified previously are still there - a lack of attacking edge from midfield and insufficient goal threat from the attackers - but given the two guys signed to do something about that were sitting in the stand, we shouldn't be too concerned. What a result. Could be the turning point for the whole season.

You're not alone pal! ... Even now, after calming down a bit from the elation of a last minute winner and thinking back on the whole game, I enjoyed last night.

It was unlikely to be a classic given the pitch and weather conditions, and neither team were likely to overcome their opponents with skill or class.

Two fairly even matched teams in a crucial league match desperate for points, yeah I think you are right , it did play out like a bit of a cup tie.

With a few of our players coming back from injury and the addition of the two window signings, I think the growing competition for starting places really showed last night. The team spirit and togetherness was clear to see too, a real credit to Archie and Shaggy.

This squad really want to succeed, and it's interesting, when they're all available, to critique and analyse how they might best fit together to achieve that. Last night emphasised at the very least we are strong and competitive contenders to stave off relegation again, and possibly improve our league placing again.

I don't want to start an old debate here, but to make a pertinent point, I'm of the opinion that we should have a section of the ground available for entry at less than 20 quid for adults. Last night, I left feeling that I'd got my money's worth from the team (and the whole club for that matter, considering the extra graft ground staff must've had to get the game on).

I fail to see how anyone could have left last night feeling short changed. A cold Scottish winter's Tuesday night, live competitive sporting entertainment. Thistle (and Motherwell to be fair) delivered the goods. The last minute winner was first class customer service! 22 quid? .... "product delivered in good order, would buy from this seller again" would be my ebay feedback response.

Firhill for Thrills? ... Yeah .... I still think it rings true.

:fan:

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz
  • Like 2

Motherwell's away strip shouldn't be allowed to clash. Isn't that the point of away strips? You look at the teams that your home kit clashes with and use something that doesn't. SPFL are supposed to approve.

Surely our home strip wouldnt clash with their away

Edited by Gingerjag

Enjoyed that last night, and good to be back in the North Stand and catch up with the guys.

Cerny barely had a save to make but commanded the area, defense although keeping clean sheets are still prone to some wierd mistakes and big Dan seems to switch off from time to time. Welsh was poor not at the game at all, Miller was solid and very reliable, Dools worked his socks off even tackling defenders but had very little support, Elliot's a game or 2 away but as always gave 110%, lawless was lawless great at times missing others but a great strike.

Biggest credit goes to Archie, most managers would have settled for a draw but he pushed more and more attacking options on, Pogba really mixed it up but can't see him as fit or mobile enough to start.

Real spirit from the team not only to snatch the win but not throw it away.

Also well done to Wee Manpreet and his young jags crew, continual singing the whole game, this has the potential to grow and grow. This young man has done so much to try and grow the support and atmosphere over the years he should be commended

• Like 2

Gj. According to the guys doing the live commentary last night, Motherwell had 3 different strips available, but ref said they all clashed with our home top, and made us change.

Aw right, I thought they only had 2 kits. What's their 3rd kit? Their away is modelled with white shorts surely thats not a kit clash.

Aw right, I thought they only had 2 kits. What's their 3rd kit? Their away is modelled with white shorts surely thats not a kit clash.

When I was a lad it used to be the rule that in the event of a clash the home team had to change strips as Thistle did yesterday. Was just wondering off the top of my head when this actually changed,: from memory I'd say the early eighties and why? Again at a guess I'd say financial considerations played a significant part i.e. in terms of additional revenue from so-called .'Away' tops?

When I was a lad it used to be the rule that in the event of a clash the home team had to change strips as Thistle did yesterday. Was just wondering off the top of my head when this actually changed,: from memory I'd say the early eighties and why? Again at a guess I'd say financial considerations played a significant part i.e. in terms of additional revenue from so-called .'Away' tops?

This is still the case in rugby I believe. A team would travel with one kit and if it clashed the home team would have another available.

Can't say it really bothers me either way.

Morton v St Mirren

St mirren had to wear a luminous Morton away top I think.

It was Clydebank v St Mirren. When Clydebank ground shared with Morton, St Mirren turned up with red away strip which clashed with Clydebanks so they had to wear Mortons away.

http://www.stmirren.info/id49.html

Edited by Gingerjag