2016-17 Pre Season Thread!

Lindau

I like how he says FF wasn't given a pay cut but was offered less in his new deal :lol:

What's done is done though and we move on...

Of the players who have left, only Stuart Brannigan was a certain starter, and the only one of those players who improved during their stay with us.

I think if you look at the players we try to keep, they generally have developed whilst at the club.

I lost count of the times Miller gave the ball away in the last game of the season with forward passes, he was an experienced defender, but a poor footballer. But he did well as a squad player.

It appears the club have been selective with the players they wanted to stay. I'm not a football professional and am happy for these decisions to be made by people who have a good record with recruitment and team building. I don't think we have ever been in a stronger position pre season.

Maxi obviously is aware of the disquiet in our ranks, the supporters I mean, and his response in the paper addresses all the hand wringing going on. It is amazing how I find myself reacting when a competitor makes a signing. Just like everybody else on here.

We have to remember that Archie has learned a few lessons in recent seasons about the competitiveness of the market and how a sniff of what you are trying to do alerts other sides and suddenly we lose out on our target.

Cliche but in Archie we trust...... and there is still a while to go before we swing into competitive action!

I'm quite satisfied with Maxi's take on the Frans situation:

http://www.eveningti..._and_Gallacher/

I see Maxi is sporting a nice enough handbag tho' I feel an off the shoulder black patent number would be more his style. I'm confident that this won't impact too much on any potential signing talks but first impressions are important

Must admit a bit surprised, to say the least, at this especially as he is saying he was offered a contract from a Premiership club as well as his all time love, Ayr United!

http://www.heraldsco...Ryan_Stevenson/

From what I hear McCall was doing something similar with Stevenson as Archie was doing with Frans. Offering more realistic terms to a player in relation to what he offered. The difference is where it was the level of ability with Frans it was fitness issues with Stevenson.

At the time leading up to Ryan's injury at NDP he was playing well for us, certainly like a player who wasn't out of place in the top league. I reckon that injury (on a non watered synthetic pitch) more or less finished Stevenson. I also think Dumbarton are taking a huge gamble offering more than McCall.

From what I hear McCall was doing something similar with Stevenson as Archie was doing with Frans. Offering more realistic terms to a player in relation to what he offered. The difference is where it was the level of ability with Frans it was fitness issues with Stevenson.

At the time leading up to Ryan's injury at NDP he was playing well for us, certainly like a player who wasn't out of place in the top league. I reckon that injury (on a non watered synthetic pitch) more or less finished Stevenson. I also think Dumbarton are taking a huge gamble offering more than McCall.

No matter what, it's one helluva drop from where he was this time last season. Thought if had got over his injury that he was gonna be a vital player for us last season. Now a year later, he is part time at Dumbarton!

I can't let the Stevo love in pass without comment. I thought the discussion was complete months ago.

He was our gun signing, probably the highest paid, a very good player at hearts.

But he was fat, slow, lazy and a useless player for us. He let Archie and the fans down badly. He had more ability than craigen but jimmy was a far better asset. Right from the start he gave the impression he didn't want to play for us.

Don't care about other teams but suspect he will be a liability at sons.

• Like 1

I can't let the Stevo love in pass without comment. I thought the discussion was complete months ago.

He was our gun signing, probably the highest paid, a very good player at hearts.

But he was fat, slow, lazy and a useless player for us. He let Archie and the fans down badly. He had more ability than craigen but jimmy was a far better asset. Right from the start he gave the impression he didn't want to play for us.

Don't care about other teams but suspect he will be a liability at sons.

No he wasn't. He didn't play as well for us as he has done other teams, but to say he was useless is absolutely laughable.

Edited by oneteaminglasgow
  • Like 4

No he wasn't. He didn't play as well for us as he has done other teams, but to say he was useless is absolutely laughable.

Agree. I find it rather amusing if you make what you believe to be constructive criticism (or just a plain observation) about a player you immediately find yourself in either the love in or hate fest camp.

If Stevenson was such a useless player it doesn't say much for Archie who played him relentlessly in the matches leading up to his injury. Perhaps our manager was simply being superstitious and didn't want drop the fat, slow, lazy, useless player from a team that won FIVE of the previous seven games (the other games being a draw away to Aberdeen & a loss at Parkhead)? In fact that superstitious he dared only sub him once (and that was during the defeat).

There's no denying Stevenson had fitness issues well before his injury at NDP. They were however not continual and he had many good performances. Alas he probably didn't turn in enough good performances (pre NDP), especially for a player that was reportedly on a relatively decent wage, and that's the point where he should be judged.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

I am at a total loss to pinpoint where the Stevo love in is, in this thread! As others have said, certainly from the Inverness away game in his first season, he played many very good games for the club. Last season he was a nonentity

Edited by Lindau

At 31, he is a bit outside our age profile when making signings

Nothing wrong with an older head in the team and 31 is hardly past it! Half decent player, obviously rated by Archie, scores goals and based on what Pogba showed last season, would be a better alternative. We deffo need another striker in, unless Pogba starts bagging far more goals, as Dools does hit periods where he doesn't score. Maxi has said we are trying to get a bit more quality in this season, I think he would be a half decent addition.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with an older head in the team and 31 is hardly past it! Half decent player, obviously rated by Archie, scores goals and based on what Pogba showed last season, would be a better alternative. We deffo need another striker in, unless Pogba starts bagging far more goals, as Dools does hit periods where he doesn't score. Maxi has said we are trying to get a bit more quality in this season, I think he would be a half decent addition.

is Shiels not more of an midfielder rather than a striker?

is Shiels not more of an midfielder rather than a striker?

An attacking midfielder.

Not sure about him as I wouldn't be too sure of any guys who've played for a lengthy spell for sevco. I don't necessarily mean they're all Billy Big Boots just they've not exactly been a roaring success playing in the lower divisions. Put another way Shiels hasn't done anything meaningful in the game for over 4 years. I don't think you can just turn the switch back on and expect a 31 year old to carry on where he left it with Kilmarnock.