Partick Thistle Vs Ict Saturday 6 August

jagfox

A dogged rather than inspired performance but a good victory. Erskine's perfectly placed shot at the end of a slick passing move was one of the few moments of real quality but we stuck in and did a lot of the unglamorous tasks well - tracking back, stopping crosses and defending corners.

Big Osman looked understandably a bit off the pace but it was a great leap to set up the second goal - a typical Amoo sclaffed goal from 2 yards out.

I was a bit apprehensive about Inverness as they seem to have started the season strongly but they never really threatened - Devine & Lindsay looked the part and it was good to see Doolan & Erskine linking up again.

Thistle fans, myself included, can be a bit over-critical but I felt like the President of the Happy Clappers Club today - after almost continuous moaning thoughout, Stadler behind me shouted "For God sake Archibald, change it". We were 2 up at the time and in control of the game with 10 minutes to go.

I was pleased to see Alan "Wild Thing" Archibald carrying on from savaging Pat Bonner by getting a telling off from the ref for a touchline tantrum...quite right as the ref didn't know what he was doing.

Never looked like conceding. Defence was superb and Devine had easily his best game.

Caley are a disgusting team. The no 20 was diving all day and all their players went down looking for a foul and/or booking. I don't think Yogi would have allowed that. That wee nerd of a ref was conned every time.

And they have the biggest 3 donkeys in the league in Raven, Warren and Draper. These players cannot be described as footballers. They could pass for Craigmark Burntonians.

Thought big Liam was excellent. Looked like a red card for donkey 3 and could be looked at by 'compliance'. Let's hope neither he nor Cerny seriously injured.

What a great goal by the Bridge.

Very , very good performance. I thought the effort and commitment levels were excellent today. Not one failure today but Erskine's first half performance and goal were special.

I think we were all worried about the back four but that was as solid as Ive seen us since we came up, very organised and very vocal too. Ziggy looks a real competitor and I thought that Liam was having his best game for us up until his injury . I think TC only made two easy saves in the 90.

We were good off the ball too ,real desire and effort to get the ball back, great to see Abdul back, he's a huge presence for us.

Good day to be a Jag topped off by seeing Fritz trying to sell Liam Lindsay a S.I.T.B as he limped past the Northy.( Think he gave him it free)

• Like 1

Great win, thought we showed good tactical awareness and discipline, would have been wasy to get frustrated early when they had a lot of the ball playing it out from the back, we could have list our shape going chasing the ball, but archie has them well drilled and organised, and we ended up winning comfortably

Cerny had nothing to do, pass matks for everyone, thought ozzy started rusty but came on to a game.

Great start, i love alan archibald

By the way, what was the thing about archie n bonner?

Great win, thought we showed good tactical awareness and discipline, would have been wasy to get frustrated early when they had a lot of the ball playing it out from the back, we could have list our shape going chasing the ball, but archie has them well drilled and organised, and we ended up winning comfortably

Cerny had nothing to do, pass matks for everyone, thought ozzy started rusty but came on to a game.

Great start, i love alan archibald

By the way, what was the thing about archie n bonner?

Bonner tipped Thistle or Hamilton to go down, Archie was asked about it at press conference and said tongue in cheek he probably doesn't even know where Partick is.

thought devine really upped his game second half

booth still not match fit but gave 100%

good to see osman back in the team but of course still not match fit

must admit i'm not a lindsay fan but he did really well today

was right in line for the first goal erskine actually turned round to celelebrate before the ball hit the net superb

doolan erskine and lawless up front great days are back at firhill

once again the ref was really out of his depth

roll on tuesday at dungdee utd erskine to show them how to play the game :thumbsup2:

good performance with no faults at all, will imagine lyndsay will miss the Utd game and Cerny will also sit that one out as he seemed to be struggling with his ankle again :( really would not like Scully between the posts against Hearts and Aberdeen yikes!!!

after Tuesday night the first team don't play for a week and a half and its vital we get a good cup run so really hoping Cerny is fit I thought he seemed to recover okay.

Liam's was obviously a right sore one and I think he will unfortunately miss the game

Liam's was obviously a right sore one and I think he will unfortunately miss the game

Hopefully just a dead leg. I don't think he'd have gone the long round if there was any obvious injury. And maybe we just want to continue a tradition of giving Sean Welsh a wee run out at right back on opening day?

I reckon ICT of all teams are the most difficult to play entertaining football against. Allowing for that I thought the game was both enjoyable and played most professionally by us. The referee went out of his way to try and make the game less enjoyable. Thankfully he failed miserably.

First half was scrappy, both teams looking a bit rusty with lots of misplaced passes.

As mentioned previously the goal was the first real moment of quality, the first time we put a move together, as soon as it left Erskine's foot it was only heading to one place.

Lots of positives though, thought Lindsay and Devine played well together for the most part and Ziggy was excellent. He won't give much going forward but he's a soild defender. Welsh was getting the usual pelters from the folk around me but I actually thought he played pretty well.

Osman looked off the pace which was understandable but came on to a game in the 2nd half. 90 mins under his belt is a big bonus.

The collective groan when Cerny pulled up was understandable but thankfully looked like he shook it off.

Lindsay and Draper's 50/50 made a hell of a noise but from my angle looked like a fair enough challenge from Draper. Haven't read otherwise but looks like it was a dead leg (hopefully nothing worse).

Booth looked about 80% but still played well and more match time will do him no harm.

Lawless was quiet first half but was really good in the 2nd and unlucky with a great effort.

Doolan led the line well with some good movement and excellent control. Could barely believe what I was hearing when the guy behind me claimed "Doolan brings nothing to this team, get him off". I genuinely think some folk hate seeing Thistle do well.

MoTM was Erskine, he worked tirelessly going forward and back (similar to Amoo) but carried our biggest threat. Tremendous finish for the goal as well, great to see him back.

All in all, great 3 points and plenty to work on.

thought devine really upped his game second half

booth still not match fit but gave 100%

good to see osman back in the team but of course still not match fit

must admit i'm not a lindsay fan but he did really well today

was right in line for the first goal erskine actually turned round to celelebrate before the ball hit the net superb

doolan erskine and lawless up front great days are back at firhill

once again the ref was really out of his depth

roll on tuesday at dungdee utd erskine to show them how to play the game :thumbsup2:

I think most of the jags fans were getting ready to celebrate the goal before he even hit it, he was in such a good position. And you are right about the ref too - Blew for offside against Doolan and then allowed the free kick to be taken inside the Jags half !

The refereeing was just dire. Every time one of their players fell down he gave them a free kick. And it would appear that a push in the back is now legal. How many of those did he miss?

Chic Young, like most of us thought the ref had dropped a clanger when he gave them the Dools offside kick in our half. THEN it seems that the new rule is that the free kick is taken wherever the player makes contact with the ball. I'm fairly sure that he ran back from an offside position in their half to make contact with the ball where they took the kick from. So he might have been right !! But it was one of the few correct decisions he made. What a plonker!

Only 2 disappointments for me today - the PA system returning to the bad old days and the attendance. 2,700 home fans on the opening day when there is such a positive feeling around the club. I know some people might still be on holiday but we really do need to be hitting nearer 3,000 on a regular basis to give Archie more to work with in the transfer windows.

The refereeing was just dire. Every time one of their players fell down he gave them a free kick. And it would appear that a push in the back is now legal. How many of those did he miss?

Chic Young, like most of us thought the ref had dropped a clanger when he gave them the Dools offside kick in our half. THEN it seems that the new rule is that the free kick is taken wherever the player makes contact with the ball. I'm fairly sure that he ran back from an offside position in their half to make contact with the ball where they took the kick from. So he might have been right !! But it was one of the few correct decisions he made. What a plonker!

Correct, The free kick is taken from where he played the ball.

Thanks Jagfaelivi - everyday is a school day. I feel like a plonker.

The re-signing of Erskine was the greatest piece of business Archie has ever done. Ive said it before and ill say it again, if it wasnt for erskine, we wouldnt have won promotion 3 years ago. On his day he is probably the best players weve had. He is key to everything we will do this season and what we have missed since he left for his brief stint in dundee. I didnt make the game today but listening to the excellent audio commentary it sounds as though lawless had a good game also. With them two on consistent form we will have a very decent season

• Like 1

The re-signing of Erskine was the greatest piece of business Archie has ever done.

I like the message it sends too. Do us a turn and you'll always be welcomed back. It's that environment that gets guys like Lyle Taylor to help convince free agents that this is a good place to be.