Jags v Quuens

sandy

18 minutes ago, Aberdeenjag said:

I think this could be quite tricky...Queens have changed their fortunes in the last few weeks.

But we should have enough to beat them.

Looks like rain forecast.....pitch will be a leveler.

Agree, Queens have won 3 on the bounce keeping clean sheets in all of them so will arguably be tougher than ICT form wise.  I’m with @sandy re Turner on from start.  This may be a classic first goal is the winner type of match so into ‘em from the start.  1-0 Jags.  :fan:

I think the first half performance against ICT was good and it would be hard to say that starting 11 didn't deserve another go. There is perhaps merit in replacing Murray with Turner on the basis that we will probably get more deadball situations against QoS than against ICT and Turner's pace may offer more returns on a pitch that probably isn't going to reward passing.

On paper QoS shouldn't be as strong as ICT particularly because they have to make changes to their starting 11 with Fitzpatrick injured and Gordon not able to play. However having watched their highlights against Morton, they look are far more physical team than what we faced earlier in the season and Soares Junior up front ,whilst not likely to score many, will give our centrehalfs a real physical challenge.

I think Queens will adopt a similar game plan to Morton but hopefully we have now adapted our style to conditions and are in a better place to break a team like that down.

Need to get into what we did right in the 2nd half v Arbroath and the 1st half v ICT. Play like we did in the 1st half at Gayfield and the 2nd half on Friday night and we'll really struggle.

Feeling the starting XI will be strongly dictated by fitness levels. It's rather unlikely that we can just field a side based on performance alone. Think there's bound to be quite a few carrying knocks and may need to be rested.

If fully fit there could be sense in starting Murray. Apart from being up against his old club, he can bring a bit of natural width to the team. He's also not being playing that bad and may have benefitted from his two recent appearances.

There’s some benefit to contracting Covid and bring in isolation…this will be my third live (virtual) match in seven days.

Given the tightrope we’re walking, with no margin for error to top the league, a good start and early goal is imperative. Having said that, credit to the team, players and management, for staying the course on Friday night when it would have been easier to settle for a draw. 

Jacubiak for the Rangersy guy would be the only change I’d make to the starting 11, keep Turner fresh for later in the match if needed. 

Into them Jags. 

2 hours ago, sandy said:

So, a game that should be winnable tonight. Thoughts on selection & formation? 

For me, Turner in the middle from the start.

Me and you are constantly beating the big Turner drum. Yes, I accept he could be more consistent when he does play, BUT,  only if he is not put in a position which is alien to him. There is a football brain in that laddies head and he can see passes that no one else can.  But, it seems that McCall finds it difficult to fit him with two primarily defensive midfielders in Bannigan and Docherty. We live in Hooe.

3 hours ago, sandy said:

So, a game that should be winnable tonight. Thoughts on selection & formation? 

For me, Turner in the middle from the start.

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Me and you are constantly beating the big Turner drum. Yes, I accept he could be more consistent when he does play, BUT,  only if he is not put in a position which is alien to him. There is a football brain in that laddies head and he can see passes that no one else can.  But, it seems that McCall finds it difficult to fit him with two primarily defensive midfielders in Bannigan and Docherty. We live in Hooe.

Hey  I have also been  "banging on about Turner" and doing so since he joined us.

I also support IMC as our manager but agree he seems to have a problem with where to play Turner.

IMO, stated on many occasions, IMC should play Turner as an advanced or attacking central midfielder.  Justification all the points previously stated - his vision, passing, football brain & dead ball skills.

So yes I am a Turner fan and therefore biased.

I have no idea what formation Queens play but I would go for  the Jags playing 4312

Sneddon

McKenna- Holt- Mayo - Foster

Crawford- Docherty-Bannigan

Turner

Graham-Jakubiack

Subs

Firth-Hendrie-Akinola-Bell- Murray-Smith-Alegria-McAllister-Stanway

I think McKenna has done well since covering for Akinola and he deserves to keep his place.

Friday was the best all round performance I have seen from Murray so putting him on the bench is perhaps harsh. I see tonight being more of a battle than the ICT game  and the pitch were factors in moving him to the bench. 

I think this is going to be a hard game tonight and in many ways harder than ICT but won't the league table look greatvif we can win.

Hopefully the strikers will find the net for the first time in 5 games, although I'd take a 1.0 win with anybody scoring. 

Never quite sure about Turner, seems easily brushed aside when playing a physical team although his delivery is usually good...... except his corner against ICT which ironically produced the goal.... don't think he meant to play it to Docherty! 

7 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

Hopefully the strikers will find the net for the first time in 5 games, although I'd take a 1.0 win with anybody scoring. 

Never quite sure about Turner, seems easily brushed aside when playing a physical team although his delivery is usually good...... except his corner against ICT which ironically produced the goal.... don't think he meant to play it to Docherty! 

Interesting how we see it differently.  I thought it was preplanned but Doc simply missed his kick! I remember Liverpool doing something similar from a corner last season (can't remember the game) but Alexander-Arnold played a similar ball to Mane (?) who scored low at the near post.

Edited by fifexile
Typo

30 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

I think he did. I think Docherty fluffed and Holt's anticipation was excellent. 

12 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Turner was garbage v Morton and we improved after he was pulled at half time. I would not be disappointed if he didn’t start again.

Turner didn't start against Morton. Turner came on for Crawford in the last 5 minutes in that game.

However Turner did start away to Arbroath.

I can't remember the last game prior to Arbroath that Turner did start but he didn't exactly make the most of his opportunity at Arbroath so can't really argue about being back on the bench against ICT.

1 hour ago, laukat said:

Turner didn't start against Morton. Turner came on for Crawford in the last 5 minutes in that game.

However Turner did start away to Arbroath.

I can't remember the last game prior to Arbroath that Turner did start but he didn't exactly make the most of his opportunity at Arbroath so can't really argue about being back on the bench against ICT.

Just shows how memorable his performance was.

• Haha 1