Fake Thistle v Real Thistle

Albert's Ghost

Not a great performance from us but perhaps some mitigation with players carrying illnesses and a couple getting injured. Its perhaps a measure of how far we have come that even with 10 men I thought we might have taken all 3 points.

McMillan had a difficult first half from McKay but I thought in the second half he took had him in his pocket. Didn't see Inverness scoring until McMillan had to go off. Thought Docherty was excellent particularly second half.

Might sound weird to say but after tonight I feel more confident that we will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season. ICT will be in the top 4 but they look considerably poorer than last season and if they can only just beat us when we're not playing well, down to 10 men for 50 minutes and having to play players out of position then I find it hard to believe they will finish ahead of us.

We have now played everyone bar Ayr.  Always possible that a run of injuries effects a team or someone strengthens in January but right now I'm not seeing anything better than us.

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Sadly you're a windmill.

That was a red all month.

Similar in many respects to Devlin's v the Tribute Act last weekend. No malice intended but studs landed in the wrong place. Referee left with no choice.

Clearly you don’t understand or appreciate the laws of the game, for it to be a clear red card would require it to be for serious foul play. This would require it to be for “excessive” force, when contact was made his foot was still in the air whilst his foot had to land even although it was on the other players foot to suggest excessively is stretching the imagination somewhat. Whilst I struggle to see a penalty for Docherty I am pretty sure the point Mcall is trying to make is if you make one marginal call how can you not see the other. Neither are stonewall and certainly not the most obvious in a “month”. The ref ruined a pretty even game, the score may well have ended up the same however as another poster has already referenced it amazes me how this sites posts become more active when we lose.

If they are ultimately our nearest challengers after the first quarter I am more hopeful we are title contenders than I was before the match commenced.

Edited by Metz
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Metz said:

Clearly you don’t understand or appreciate the laws of the game, for it to be a clear red card would require it to be for serious foul play. This would require it to be for “excessive” force, when contact was made his foot was still in the air whilst his foot had to land even although it was on the other players foot to suggest excessively is stretching the imagination somewhat. Whilst I struggle to see a penalty for Docherty I am pretty sure the point Mcall is trying to make is if you make one marginal call how can you not see the other. Neither are stonewall and certainly not the most obvious in a “month”. The ref ruined a pretty even game, the score may well have ended up the same however as another poster has already referenced it amazes me how this sites posts become more active when we lose.

If they are ultimately our nearest challengers after the first quarter I am more hopeful we are title contenders than I was before the match commenced.

I understand the laws of the game plenty.

Was it serious foul play under the letter of the law? No.

Was it a mistimed tackle that could have injured an opponent? Yes.

Was that what influenced the referee's decision? Very likely.

If that tackle had been Mackay on Docherty would we have been wanting a red card? Damn right we would have.

Sometimes you just have to suck it up.

I thought last season Kilmarnock would have won the league by a lot more than they ended up doing. I thought that Dundee would win it this season again by a fair margin. But so far no team looks like running away with the title.

Imo every team will have a bad spell at some point this season, the team that wins the league will be the one that recovers quickest from a defeat.

We now have 4 league games to play this month, lets see how quickly we bounce back from tonight's loss.

The sending off for me is never a red card. The touch from Turner was abysmal, he goes after the ball, the inverness player misses the ball by a mile and theres a coming together. You could argue that it was a free kick to us. Turners foot is off the ground as hes trying to win the ball back. The inverness player causes the collision making Turner's effort for the ball look worse than it was. In saying all that, prior to that, we looked like we were playing with ankle weights on. The pace was slow and our second touch was a tackle as summed up perfectly by the dismissal.  We created our own problems and put ourselves under needless pressure countless times. Disappointing night, and a game where at the very least shouldnt be getting beat. 

• Like 2

Thought it was a penalty & thought red was soft, but can see why ref gave it. 
Commentary was brutal - stuck on 6 Music after about 20 mins.

Shame we didn’t get the breaks, but was a pretty uninspired performance & we need to do better. 
Still, to only lose 1-0 when playing one of our potential challengers away, down to 10 for so long and generally having an off day isn’t the worst. Onwards & upwards.

Not got much of an opinion re the red card. Any stills or slow motion will undoubtedly favour the ref. Just thought the pace of the misplaced tackle perhaps didn't warrant a red card. Turner tho' was very lucky not to have been sent off in a previous match at Firhill (can't mind the game).

McCall's comment re the ref were I feel OTT. Leaving our two incidents aside, he did appear to make an error in booking the ICT sub and strangely blew the final whistle early. But to say he's out of his depth and thus not fit to join the likes of Dallas, Collum, Beaton and the rest of the Merry Men on that one showing is just plain wrong.

• Like 2

Didn’t do enough to win the game. A bit unlucky to lose it. We had a couple of hairy moments in defence. Thought when Akinola came on that Muirhead might have gone to right back ? 
From Jagzone angle it was a definite penalty. Turner was unlucky but it was probably the right decision.

20 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Didn’t do enough to win the game. A bit unlucky to lose it. We had a couple of hairy moments in defence. Thought when Akinola came on that Muirhead might have gone to right back ? 
From Jagzone angle it was a definite penalty. Turner was unlucky but it was probably the right decision.

Muirhead and Holt both have experience at full back.  Can't understand why Akinola wasn't played in the centre and one of the aforementioned moved to cover McMillan.  Seemed a strange decision and ultimately cost us.

Don't have much complaint about the red card, it was a poor challenge.  Ref might have given a yellow but that would have been lenient.  

4 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

Muirhead and Holt both have experience at full back.  Can't understand why Akinola wasn't played in the centre and one of the aforementioned moved to cover McMillan.  Seemed a strange decision and ultimately cost us.

Don't have much complaint about the red card, it was a poor challenge.  Ref might have given a yellow but that would have been lenient.  

I think that Holt and Aero were doing so well in the middle that he didn’t want to split them up.

5 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I had the same thought when Tunji Akinola came on. Daniel McKay (whom I had never heard of before) was by far the best and most threatening player for Inverness and had been giving our regular and pacey fullback Jack McMillan (who has usually been a standout player for us) a very hard time. It was tough to expect Tunji to be immediately up to speed in an unfamiliar position against such an inspired opponent.

Tunji and Kevin Holt combined well at centre back for a good amount of last season. Aaron Muirhead is certainly no faster than Tunji, but with his greater experience and generally being up to the pace of the game, he might have been better able to prevent McKay taking advantage of him.

On a totally different point, Harry Milne was outstanding when we were up against it in the second half. He has generally been credited with being a better attacker than a defender, but he made a number of well-timed tackles, often winning the ball cleanly and being able to go on the counter.

In the first half Inverness pressed very high and very effectively. We were constantly forced to resort to high balls which Brian Graham could not make stick. Stevie Lawless still managed to get on the ball occasionally, but Scott Tiffoney was totally out of the game. Yet, as Kevin Holt said to JagZone, the first 40 minutes were pretty even, but you felt that Inverness were at their peak, and we could still find another gear. If the game had proceeded normally with 11 v 11, I  think Inverness might have tired and we could have taken over.  As it turned out, Inverness did indeed tire and were very poor for the last 15 minutes, so the opportunity would have been there for us.

To be fair to Graham, he was much more effective in retaining possession and bringing others into play in the second half. However, the 3 final subs were made far too late. Dowds especially should have been on much earlier.

Edited by partickthedog
grammar!

37 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

Don’t know if I heard McCall correctly after the game on bbc … did he say Tiffoney caught a knock in the first half or has a recurring problem? I had assumed he was sacrificed for the red card to Turner

Pre match he said Tiffoney hadn't trained much. Post match he said he was taken of because he had an injury.

• Thanks 1

Not a great performance but I think we'd have been good for at least a point if the ref hadn't overreacted to Turners' challenge.

Also, couldn't believe the kit choice of the ref, which for me, clashed with Cally. I'm surprised no-one actually tackled him on one of the numerous occasions he got in the way.

5 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

Don’t know if I heard McCall correctly after the game on bbc … did he say Tiffoney caught a knock in the first half or has a recurring problem? I had assumed he was sacrificed for the red card to Turner

That's a fair assumption. No matter who the manager is he's going to sacrifice an attacking wide player if there's no second striker on the park. Given Lawless has been on great form, Tiffoney was an absolute cert to be replaced regardless of his fitness.  McCall does talk a strange game at times.   

8 hours ago, CotterJag said:

Not a great performance but I think we'd have been good for at least a point if the ref hadn't overreacted to Turners' challenge.

Also, couldn't believe the kit choice of the ref, which for me, clashed with Cally. I'm surprised no-one actually tackled him on one of the numerous occasions he got in the way.

Totally agree. Another WRONG decision. Why not the traditional black?