Silencing the Hampden Roar

partickthedog

Having started the match thread for a game against a team we had failed to beat in all previous league games this season, ie Cove Rangers, I think that I have kept the baton for the similar fixture against Queens Park tomorrow night.

This would be an ideal occasion for a Big Wull team-talk, ie get in among them early doors, take the initiative and score when you are in the ascendancy.

All these things we have failed to do in the first 3 league games, and our defence has been unpicked by some neat and clinical, but eminently preventable moves, topped up by the elementary mistake of not marking the tallest player on the pitch at a corner.

If we can get ahead in the first half I will be reasonably confident, but the longer we fail to score, the more likely it is that Owen Coyle's trademark grin will be haunting us yet again.

I really hope that Banzo continues the proactive front-foot form that he belatedly rediscovered at Cove, and that at least one (preferably both) of Scott Tiffoney and Stevie Lawless is in electric mood. We can do this!

Can't see too many changes from the team against Cove. Only question would be if Hodson is fit to start does he come back and Brownlie drop to the bench or do we keep Holt at leftback?

Wee question - Does anyone know if the Aitken suite if open before and after the game? If so any idea what the opening and closing times are?

7 hours ago, laukat said:

Can't see too many changes from the team against Cove. Only question would be if Hodson is fit to start does he come back and Brownlie drop to the bench or do we keep Holt at leftback?

Wee question - Does anyone know if the Aitken suite if open before and after the game? If so any idea what the opening and closing times are?

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/queens-park-matchday-at-the-aitken-suite-2/

• Thanks 1

I don't think we can take too much from the Cove game. I recognise that we played some good stuff and I was especially impressed with our running off the ball. However I thought this Cove team were the poorest I have seen since we first met them in League 1.

The result was certainly a confidence booster but I think Queens will ask a lot more questions of our midfield and defence. I do agree though that if we get at them from the off,  stay on the front foot and show belief that we can win the game then we have a chance.

When the Jags play well I believe we can beat any team in this league however we will have to be firing on all cylinders to win this game. Pity we won't have Milne marauding down the left.

7 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I don't think we can take too much from the Cove game. I recognise that we played some good stuff and I was especially impressed with our running off the ball. However I thought this Cove team were the poorest I have seen since we first met them in League 1.

The result was certainly a confidence booster but I think Queens will ask a lot more questions of our midfield and defence. I do agree though that if we get at them from the off,  stay on the front foot and show belief that we can win the game then we have a chance.

When the Jags play well I believe we can beat any team in this league however we will have to be firing on all cylinders to win this game. Pity we won't have Milne marauding down the left.

With Milne out that should be an opportunity for the youth players to make their mark i.e Zander MacKenzie. 

11 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Read on P&B that he is missing tonight too ?

Yes. Kris Doolan mentioned that Zander would miss out. I forget the precise issue, but I think that he had pulled something, but his absence should be a week or two at most. Pity for him, as despite being only 17 he seems to be the young player most likely to “jump the divide” and become a regular starter or at least a relied on substitute rather than simply a bench filler. The assist at Cove was significant in that respect.

Beyond Milne’s absence, the only other concern was Hodson’s health (unspecified illness), so I suspect that the indestructible Kevin Holt will continue at left back leaving Big Mad Mental Aaron Muirhead to partner the much serenaded Darren Brownlie in central defence.

Heading home this weekend and won't be back till after the Irish Cup final. If we come first or fifth it's my last game. I've seen us done twice by Queens this season, so hoping for a considerable change. I'm giving a Queens fan a lift up tonight so let's hope I'm the one smiling on the way home.  I know it's not over yet but it's been a real up and down season. Between cracking home wins over Inverness and dire  losses to Cove and Accies. Sublime to ridiculous as they say. (and that's only on the pitch)

6 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Yes. Kris Doolan mentioned that Zander would miss out. I forget the precise issue, but I think that he had pulled something, but his absence should be a week or two at most. Pity for him, as despite being only 17 he seems to be the young player most likely to “jump the divide” and become a regular starter or at least a relied on substitute rather than simply a bench filler. The assist at Cove was significant in that respect.

Beyond Milne’s absence, the only other concern was Hodson’s health (unspecified illness), so I suspect that the indestructible Kevin Holt will continue at left back leaving Big Mad Mental Aaron Muirhead to partner the much serenaded Darren Brownlie in central defence.

Hope you haven't jinxed Holt.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, belfastjag said:

Heading home this weekend and won't be back till after the Irish Cup final. If we come first or fifth it's my last game. I've seen us done twice by Queens this season, so hoping for a considerable change. I'm giving a Queens fan a lift up tonight so let's hope I'm the one smiling on the way home.  I know it's not over yet but it's been a real up and down season. Between cracking home wins over Inverness and dire  losses to Cove and Accies. Sublime to ridiculous as they say. (and that's only on the pitch)

Enjoy your game BelfastJag.

A big ask, but 5 wins and I think we will top the League.

One at a time though, so let's take care of QP tonight.

Up The Jags.

40 minutes ago, belfastjag said:

Hope you can sign off with a win and are the happiest in car on way back.

As an aside I’m in Belfast nxt week so if you run into a Jags fan will get you a pint.