Home and away part 4, the final countdown

Auld Jag

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

I know that we have got to our current position of being very positive and attacking, but is there a good case to start with Bannigan tomorrow.  With Thistle having a two goal lead i feel that would give us extra protection between midfield and defence.This would mean either Lawless, Tiffoney or Fitzpatrick on the bench. Whoever was benched would be extremely unlucky and might have a part to play in the game later on

Don’t change a winning team. They are going to come at us which will give the likes of Tiffoney, Lawless and Fitzpatrick space to exploit. 

Bring on Bannigan later if things are looking comfortable. Then push Turner further forward to give them something else to think about.

• Like 1

I've seen Thistle promoted to the top division 3 times (91/91, 01/02 and 12/13) I've seen us win league 1 twice (00/01 and 20/21) didn't got Peterhead but I remember it will.  In most of those seasons we had big games to either clinch it or put it in our own hands.

In 91/92 the final game against Forfar we needed a draw to get it done. 01/02 we had to go away to Airdrie and not lose and we did it. In 12/13 the Morton game at home was key and we got a 1-0 win. In all of those games there was an element of nerves but they were very much one offs for that season. 

When we won the playoffs in 05/06 we did it by winning 2 games out of 4 and I had so little faith in Dick Campbell's teams that I never had any nerves so there is comparison between those playoffs and these.

When we one league one in 20/21 we had a series of must wins but I didn't feel as nervous about them as by then our full time training was giving us an advantage over part time teams having to play 3 or 4 games a week.

This season's playoffs are truly extraordinary. Since we played Raith, every game has been do or die, every performance has been better than the previous one and when you consider that in every tie the opposition has got better that's some doing.

So my nerves are jangling just now but its not because I don't believe we can do it. Its partly because every week has been an increasingly important game getting us one step closer to a prize that seemed a million miles away 4 weeks ago. Its also partly because potentially we are on the eve of witnessing something truly remarkable in Scottish football history and in my experience as a Partick Thistle fan with a teams that is playing some amazing football.

No matter what this has been a hell of a ride. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Of the 41 goals in 18 games under Doolan, we have scored 16 in 4 1/2 without Bannigan. Unless anybody is injured or knackered, I think Doolan will go with the same starting 11.

Agree. Might have been different if plastic pitches were involved. Doolan will know who if any is feeling the strain. With extra subs these day the quick turnaround in games should be less problematic fitness wise. It also makes for easier early substitutions if necessary.   

Heading off soon on my motorbike to Dingwall. Hope all Jags fans have a terrific day, win or lose. If we go up, great, if we don't we have a good manager and squad heading into next year, so exciting times ahead. Big well done to Kris and the team for giving us a great end to the season.

C'mon Jags!!!

47 minutes ago, Harrybriscoe said:

Heading off soon on my motorbike to Dingwall. Hope all Jags fans have a terrific day, win or lose. If we go up, great, if we don't we have a good manager and squad heading into next year, so exciting times ahead. Big well done to Kris and the team for giving us a great end to the season.

C'mon Jags!!!

Agree, except for the squad. We only have 7 signed up for next season. Mitchell, McMillan, Milne, Fitzpatrick, Lawless, Graham and Dowds.

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Agree, except for the squad. We only have 7 signed up for next season. Mitchell, McMillan, Milne, Fitzpatrick, Lawless, Graham and Dowds.

A good team if they start the Tennents sixes again.

Safe and enjoyable journey to everyone going.

C'mon the JAGS. :fan:

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Let's hope (and I think) that especially if we finally win promotion today, quite a few of the out-of-contract players will be more than happy to stay on what will surely be improved contracts.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Let's hope (and I think) that especially if we finally win promotion today, quite a few of the out-of-contract players will be more than happy to stay on what will surely be improved contracts.

Both sides can opt out of a pre-contract.  It's not legally binding so it would come down to the contract and ££££ as these guys are not on big money.

• Like 1