Summer comings and goings

Jaggernaut

22 minutes ago, jaggymct said:

With Mulgrew announcing his retirement from football does that mean someone else might be brought in assuming we were thinking of signing him that is ? maybe there is room in the budget for 1 more player hopefully a defensive player ?

Doolan has said on a number of occasions that he's fussy who he signs. Whether Mulgrew was on the radar or not doesn't necessarily mean he'll now go sign someone else. I think he said something along the lines of only bringing in players that will genuinely challenge for a start*. Even if there is funding available it'll be increasingly difficult now to get such a player. Also I wouldn't then be that surprised if we do have one final signing the incoming player wasn't a central defender, even if that's an area of weakness.

Also regarding budget it was perhaps dependent on Dowds going out on loan?

*looking thru his signings McDonald appears to be the only exception to that rule. Even at that Lawless and Fitzpatrick are almost stonewall starters. Thus putting any other wide player on the bench.

Mulgrew was training with us apparently, my nephew also got his photo taken with Ben Williamson after training and there was another player in the car with him who said he couldn't be in photo as he hadn't signed yet, i assumed that would have been Mulgrew, my nephew didn't know who Mulgrew was though as he is too young so cant confirm !

Might just have been a player not wanting his pic taken though 🙂

9 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Doolan has said on a number of occasions that he's fussy who he signs. Whether Mulgrew was on the radar or not doesn't necessarily mean he'll now go sign someone else. I think he said something along the lines of only bringing in players that will genuinely challenge for a start*. Even if there is funding available it'll be increasingly difficult now to get such a player. Also I wouldn't then be that surprised if we do have one final signing the incoming player wasn't a central defender, even if that's an area of weakness.

Also regarding budget it was perhaps dependent on Dowds going out on loan?

*looking thru his signings McDonald appears to be the only exception to that rule. Even at that Lawless and Fitzpatrick are almost stonewall starters. Thus putting any other wide player on the bench.

I think we have 5 stonewall starters when available - Milne, McMillan, Fitzpatrick, Lawless and Graham. It would also be a surprise to not have Bannigan and Muirhead in a starting 11 and we certainly don't need another keeper. That effectively leaves 1 defender and 2 midfielders not virtually guaranteed a start. I think we have more than enough midfielders, so if the next addition is not a defender, I will be surprised.

54 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I think we have 5 stonewall starters when available - Milne, McMillan, Fitzpatrick, Lawless and Graham. It would also be a surprise to not have Bannigan and Muirhead in a starting 11 and we certainly don't need another keeper. That effectively leaves 1 defender and 2 midfielders not virtually guaranteed a start. I think we have more than enough midfielders, so if the next addition is not a defender, I will be surprised.

I think Mcinroy has also made himself a starter in the last few weeks. 

3 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I agree with about all of that plus I'd add McInroy as an almost cert starter. I just won't be that surprised if any further addition turns out to not be a central defender. I agree tho' that's where we most need cover. 

10 minutes ago, Grubber8468 said:

No doubt!! Him and nouble tore us apart couple of years ago when playing for Arbroath! Thought he would be great for us but hasn’t really worked out for him. 

Wish we had got Nouble instead of Dowds. Like you I thought we had pulled a scoop when we signed him but it just hasn’t worked 

Dowds looked a bit like a super sub when he came on as a sub and scored on a few occasions, had a really good goals to minutes on the park ratio at one point. I think it was at the start of this year he got a head knock and never did anything since. Good luck to him as long as it doesn't affect us in any way.

8 hours ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

Strange one, going to the same league…

If you assume that Dowds didn't want to drop a division but at the same time we wanted him out on loan, then nothing strange. If he'd dropped a division it's likely that we would be financing the move to a higher degree. If we can now afford to bring in a player that's potentially going to get more game time than Dowds would have, then we're quids in.

If nothing else happens (transfer wise) we're still gonna be, even if only marginally, in a better place (financially). Injuries aside I doubt Dowds was gonna see much bench time never mind game time.

9 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

If you assume that Dowds didn't want to drop a division but at the same time we wanted him out on loan, then nothing strange. If he'd dropped a division it's likely that we would be financing the move to a higher degree. If we can now afford to bring in a player that's potentially going to get more game time than Dowds would have, then we're quids in.

If nothing else happens (transfer wise) we're still gonna be, even if only marginally, in a better place (financially). Injuries aside I doubt Dowds was gonna see much bench time never mind game time.

I don't have a problem with him going to a team in the same league. If he plays well he'll help Ayr take point off everyone except us, and if he doesn't we've still saved a wage.

The kicker would be if Ayr finished above us thanks to his contributions, of course, but I don't see that happening (famous last words...)