Peterhead Vs Partick Thistle - Viaplay Cup group B

jagfox

Won 10-9 - like the BBC Bot stating the obvious -

• 90'+14'

Post update

Penalty missed! Bad penalty by Andrew McCarthy (Peterhead) right footed shot is high and wide to the right. Andrew McCarthy should be disappointed.

• 90'+14'

Post update

Goal! Peterhead 1(9), Partick Thistle 1(10). Steven Lawless (Partick Thistle) converts the penalty with a left footed shot to the bottom left corner.

• 90'+13'

Post update

Goal! Peterhead 1(9), Partick Thistle 1(9). Joe McKee (Peterhead) converts the penalty with a right footed shot to the bottom right corner.

• 90'+13'

Post update

Goal! Peterhead 1(8), Partick Thistle 1(9). Ben Stanway (Partick Thistle) converts the penalty with a right footed shot to the bottom right corner.

• 90'+12'

Post update

Penalty missed! Bad penalty by Stuart McKenzie (Peterhead) right footed shot is high and wide to the right. Stuart McKenzie should be disappointed.

• 90'+10'

Post update

Penalty missed! Bad penalty by Jamie Sneddon (Partick Thistle) left footed shot is close, but misses to the left. Jamie Sneddon should be disappointed.

Some contrast to the last time we won a penalty shoot out at Balmoor. No fan segregation, no intense bag searching. Made welcome in their stadium bar, good bit of banter. 

Ok, obviously lot less at stake but after all those pressure games of only a few weeks ago it was nice to watch a match without the fingernail biting. Cracking surface as well. 

I know we're worried about recruitment but got a feeling Mssrs McKenzie, Stanway & Lyon will be more than just "bit players" this season.

9 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I know we're worried about recruitment but got a feeling Mssrs McKenzie, Stanway & Lyon will be more than just "bit players" this season.

Agree, I though stanway in particular was pretty good today, always looking for the ball and tried to make a difference, tracked back a lot too and won quite a few tackles.

The manager and player(Milne)seem quite happy with the draw at Peterhead. "Its a hard place to go", blah blah blah.  Thank **** I didn't go if that's our aim for the season.  I've still got a Dingwall hangover if most as seems, haven't.  2/9 at the bookies today and happy with a draw.  Hopefully better on Tuesday.  

• Like 1

Using the SPFL website and taking no account of experience levels or positions played, only 12 teams out of 32 filled their 9 substitute places yesterday. Clyde managed only 3, Stenhousemuir and Stranraer managed 4 and 5 teams including Thistle filled 5. The other 4 were Bonnyrigg Rose, Cowdenbeath, Forfar and Morton. We know in Thistle's case only 3 were outfielders. Even allowing for McMillan and Robinson being injured the squad looks worryingly lacking in numbers. A lot of faith may have to be put in the youngsters.

17 minutes ago, The Legend Blows said:

We need players. Simple as that. I know Doolan knows it. Just got a feeling the budget means we won't get enough and they won't be of good enough quality. 

Can't disagree. Also got no reason to disagree with the assumption we were offering last season's out of contract players reduced terms. Likewise Graham being offered a better deal elsewhere. With that in mind even if funding the player budget improved it would be difficult (maybe even disruptive) to change the wage structure upwardly. 

Positives? As I mentioned earlier I'm hopeful a few of the youngsters will step up. Also I'm sure we've got a more tactically astute manager. Clearly there's more togetherness between fans and those running our Club and that is I believe set to improve further. The latter point is of course more medium to long term except we are seeing longer contracts being issued. That is in itself a bargaining tool Doolan may be able to employ earlier. 

1 hour ago, The Legend Blows said:

We need players. Simple as that. I know Doolan knows it. Just got a feeling the budget means we won't get enough and they won't be of good enough quality. 

Easiest way us as fans can help that is to buy a ST, join centenary fund and join The Jags Foundation 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Can't disagree. Also got no reason to disagree with the assumption we were offering last season's out of contract players reduced terms. Likewise Graham being offered a better deal elsewhere. With that in mind even if funding the player budget improved it would be difficult (maybe even disruptive) to change the wage structure upwardly. 

Positives? As I mentioned earlier I'm hopeful a few of the youngsters will step up. Also I'm sure we've got a more tactically astute manager. Clearly there's more togetherness between fans and those running our Club and that is I believe set to improve further. The latter point is of course more medium to long term except we are seeing longer contracts being issued. That is in itself a bargaining tool Doolan may be able to employ earlier. 

I think in one of the interviews I read or heard the budget increase came too late for Docherty,Holt,Tiffoney and Turner. Whether it would have been enough to keep them is another matter. But, I think the other players re-signing came after that increased budget, so maybe their terms weren’t decreased?

44 minutes ago, jaggy said:

It’s devalued with the teams playing in Europe not even playing in the groups. 

imho it’s better than friendlies though

This. For the clubs it is all about money and they make more from league cup games than they do from friendlies.

I suspect that the fans would prefer friendlies against clubs we wouldn’t normally play against