January Transfer Window

JAG1970

For opinions, speculation, and eventually facts..

Presumably Doolan’s priority is adding some bite to the midfield but perhaps some more experience to the defence and another wide attacker.

On the assumption he has a tight budget then probably one in for one out. Who may go out?

With Williamson an occasional used sub and McGinley unused (although he was injured but was signed it seems only to boost numbers when other defenders were injured), both their loan spells are up at the end of this month. 

Ayr will presumably want to keep Dowds permanently and McDonald has been near anonymous for us. Maybe a deal can be made to release him. Think we rely too much on Fitzpatrick and Lawless to be good for 90 mins week in week out. Given how much Adams seems to dislike his team, maybe getting Turner back is not too far fetched, although we’d be overloaded on the bench with attacking midfielders.

Don’t need Turner. We are already overloaded with attack minded midfielders. McAvoy and Alston are doing a good enough job, with Stanway, Banzo and McKenzie able to challenge for starts. Bringing him back would be a waste of a wage.

What we need is a dirty *******. A hard man to win the ball in midfield and win not just the 50/50s, but also the 40/60s

Doolan has said he wants a defensive midfielder and I imagine that would be his priority. If unavailable/unsuitable the alternative would be to bring in a left sided central defender with the intention of moving Neilson into midfield. I've a feeling that's mainly why McGuinley's here on loan. Obviously hasn't worked out but it would've given us the option of playing him alongside Muirhead with Neilson pushed forward.

Kinda agree that tho' we've missed the creativity of Turner, bringing him back would present a positional overload. Plus if defensive mid is filled a regular starting midfielder will be benched. Probably got to accept that McDonald and MacKenzie will offer the cover for Fitzy and Lawless, with the option of changing formation if either is out for a spell. 

I doubt the January window will be that busy and that of course means less opportunities for us to bolster the squad. Realistically we should be happy with one quality signing (def mid or left centreback). Finding one could prove hard enough.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I would have thought McGinley and McDonald would be heading out. Can't see what value there is in keeping either. Depending on the length of Ngwenya's injury he may also return to his parent club. Dowds surely will sign for Ayr.

There have been rumours that Williamson signed a a pre-contract which I find hard to believe unless there is some weird terms on his loan thats stopped him from playing. I think Williamson could be the CDM we require but there must be a reason he's not getting played. Most likely he will return to Ibrox.

Also think James Lyon needs to go out on loan, perhaps McCall will want him?

Part of me wonders if Mitchell will be allowed to go on loan as his contract is due up in the Summer and Doolan seems happy with Sneddon.

So minimum 3 out (McGinley, Williamson, Dowds) with perhaps another 3 on top of that (McDonald, Lyon, Mitchell)

If we are letting 6 leave then hopefully that budget allows for 3 quality additions. I think we our squad is a bit too large as we have a pool of 25 so getting nearer to 22 would make sense

Potentially the best business we could do would be to extend McMillan and get McInroy on a pre-contract.

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Doolan has said he wants a defensive midfielder and I imagine that would be his priority. If unavailable/unsuitable the alternative would be to bring in a left sided central defender with the intention of moving Neilson into midfield. I've a feeling that's mainly why McGuinley's here on loan. Obviously hasn't worked out but it would've given us the option of playing him alongside Muirhead with Neilson pushed forward.

Kinda agree that tho' we've missed the creativity of Turner, bringing him back would present a positional overload. Plus if defensive mid is filled a regular starting midfielder will be benched. Probably got to accept that McDonald and MacKenzie will offer the cover for Fitzy and Lawless, with the option of changing formation if either is out for a spell. 

I doubt the January window will be that busy and that of course means less opportunities for us to bolster the squad. Realistically we should be happy with one quality signing (def mid or left centreback). Finding one could prove hard enough.

Agree with this and others who note our need for a defensive midfielder. 

However, as folk have said, Neilson could play there, and Muirhead has in the past. Williams may also be a shout as mentioned in another thread.

The issue is that all three are CBs, and right-sided ones at that. So imo bringing in a first choice left-sided CB frees us up to try out other options in the midfield, therefore if we prioritise that position first, it gives us breathing space and shores up the defence anyway.

(An Abdul Osman type would still be gratefully received too, of course.)

7 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

A bit of news, or rather non news. Anton Dowds will NOT be getting recalled in January. We held an option to do so. 

At least we did have the option to recall him but with Diack's recent form I think we are okay without him.

37 minutes ago, dpj said:

At least we did have the option to recall him but with Diack's recent form I think we are okay without him.

Diack has scored one goal and Tommy has not played enough to be certain he is a strong replacement for Graham.

Dowds is only a few goals behind Graham in the goalscoring charts who could have bad spell simillar to the second half of the 2021 season. Not convinced we are as strong as you suggest in this area.

I think Doolans lack of squad rotation and late substitutions, may put a few people off from signing for us.

On 12/19/2023 at 1:13 AM, thornwoodjag said:

Should we be expecting any bids for players ? McMillan, Milne or Fitzpatrick? Even Brian Graham ?

Milne & McMillan to Hearts

Fitzpatrick to lazy/unfit/underlying injured (never sure which it is) for league above. 

Brian Graham. No chance he'll leave. 37yr old hothead just about right in mid table championship. Not good enough for league up. To old for DUFC or RR to pay money for.

The rest are journeymen with Lawless being the exception 

Surprised he extended contract as he looked primed to be a DUFC pre contract for their Premier Premiership return next season.

Happy he's staying but gonna be a tighter budget and tougher season in 24/25

Edited by The Legend Blows

5 hours ago, The Legend Blows said:

Did Harry not recently sign a new extended contract ? If so, I'm not sure that Hearts could afford him.

Jack's contract will be up in the summer, so I suspect that he will be off then, and if we could get anything for him now we might well take it.

12 hours ago, The Legend Blows said:

Fitzpatrick to lazy/unfit/underlying injured (never sure which it is) for league above. 

Brian Graham. No chance he'll leave. 37yr old hothead just about right in mid table championship. Not good enough for league up. To old for DUFC or RR to pay money for.

The rest are journeymen with Lawless being the exception 

Surprised he extended contract as he looked primed to be a DUFC pre contract for their Premier Premiership return next season.

Happy he's staying but gonna be a tighter budget and tougher season in 24/25

Are you Derek Adams? 

• Haha 1

The Legand Blows states (extract): "Happy he's staying but gonna be a tighter budget and tougher season in 24/25"

Why would our budget be tighter next season? I thought the financial position of the club had improved with new investment, 3000+ season ticket holders and ongoing efforts to bring in further new/increased investment.

The above might not put us into the DUFC or RRFC 'league' but should it mean a reduced budget?

As far as McMillan and Milne are concerned  if any club attempts to buy either

It will be on last seasons form. This season, due mainly to injuries, they have made a minimal contribution to the team.

I can see Both Raith and the Arabs going up so we will be joined in the Championship by two from Livingston, Motherwell, Ross County or St Johnstone. On what I have seen so far I don't think any of these sides are significantly better than Raith or the Arabs. 

In conclusion I see next seasons Championship being just as difficult as this season but not more difficult. To be promoted we need to win 4/5 games more than the current two leaders and lose or draw fewer games than them as well. A tall order I would suggest.

8 hours ago, exiledjag said:

The Legand Blows states (extract): "Happy he's staying but gonna be a tighter budget and tougher season in 24/25"

Why would our budget be tighter next season? I thought the financial position of the club had improved with new investment, 3000+ season ticket holders and ongoing efforts to bring in further new/increased investment.

The above might not put us into the DUFC or RRFC 'league' but should it mean a reduced budget?

It will be on last seasons form. This season, due mainly to injuries, they have made a minimal contribution to the team.

I can see Both Raith and the Arabs going up so we will be joined in the Championship by two from Livingston, Motherwell, Ross County or St Johnstone. On what I have seen so far I don't think any of these sides are significantly better than Raith or the Arabs. 

In conclusion I see next seasons Championship being just as difficult as this season but not more difficult. To be promoted we need to win 4/5 games more than the current two leaders and lose or draw fewer games than them as well. A tall order I would suggest.

9 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I've always been under the impression that Motherwell can't get relegated. Has there been a rule change?

• Haha 3