PTFC v The Loch Inverness Monster

A brutal victory. Weird how our legs seemed to go immediately after they went down to 10 men, couldn’t string two passes together and retain possession. Fitzy taking the ball to the corner flag with 20 mins to go summed up our energy levels. The subs didn’t help.
But we defended well despite giving away too many cheap fouls. And it’s 3 points and another clean sheet. Winning ugly is something we haven’t done for a long time.,

Why does every team in the league look so much sharper and fitter than us?

Too many miles off it today. Im like a broken record with Fitzpatrick but he’s going to waste his talent with his attitude, shocking today. 

Stanway breaks up play now and again but his passing and ball retention needs some serious improvement.

Would like to hear Doolan’s thoughts about going to a back 5 against 10 men and as mentioned, running the ball to the corner with twenty minutes to go.

A win and clean sheet are the positives but a dreadful performance. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

9 more games just like that and we are promoted.

True, but we got lucky today. I'm generally pretty positive about PTFC, but it really was a joyless performance, bar the defence. 

Mcbeth, Muirhead, Mitchell, Milne, Graham were all decent. MOTM for me was Robinson.

Thought Stanway was poor first half but played well in the second. Thought it strange we took him off and not Fitzpatrick.

Fitzpatrick just wasn't at the races today. McMillan and Lawless were also not great. I wonder how much of that is down to having to play in the mud as our pitch on the JHS side is just large streaks of mud and on the main stand side its looks very bobbly.

ICT looked poor and I struggle to see them getting enough points to avoid the relegation playoff. 

Thougtnt that today, was two nervy teams.  I’d say that we were a tad fortunate to come away with all three points today.. As usual we sat too deep in the second-half ,particularly, when we had a man advantage. However, at this stage of the season it’s points that matter and you’ve got to take them as they come. ICT were a bit like us over the last few seasons, plenty of possession, but very little actual goal threat. At the end of the day take the points and move on.

At this stage of the season it is simply all about getting the points, would gladly take another 5 performances like today if you could guarantee 5 wins.

Remember to put your clocks 1 hour forward tonight (assuming you are in the UK).

Edited by Fawlty Towers

11 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

At this stage of the season it is simply all about getting the points, would gladly take another 5 performances like today if you could guarantee 5 wins.

Remember to put your clocks 1 hour forward tonight (assuming you are in the UK).

Wish we could have put the clock forward at 3.45 this afternoon..

• Haha 4

I actually thought that was a fairly comfortable win. It wasn’t fun to watch, but if the game was still going on I doubt ICT would’ve scored. We had the best chances (if not that many) while I don’t remember Mitchell making a save of note, nor them missing any decent chances. Suddenly being defensively very solid means we can get away with a lacklustre showing in midfield/attack

Just about worth the win because we had the more clearcut chances. But a disjointed performance and thought we would pay for one of the many free kicks we gave them.

McBeth great in defence but don't think Neilson in midfield works. Game seemed to pass him by.

Oh and wish the bloke who sits somewhere behind a moans about Doolan never being a manager would give it a rest.

Marginally the better side to go 1-0 up but hanging on for the last half hour against 10 men was a bit worrying. We defended quite well and Inverness didn't really make a clear chance - credit to McBeth, Muirhead & Milne. 

Lawless has always been more effective at the beginning and end of the season when the pitch is in better condition....I think that might apply to Fitzpatrick as well. Stanway improved after a poor start and was directly involved in our goal and our best chances in the second half. Ngwenya was poor when he came on...Alston was again awful...I share the reservations about James Lyon but surely he is a better option.

Maybe it was the lack of onfield excitement but there seemed to be constant traffic of punters heading for a pie and a pee during the game....I very nearly missed our goal as a couple stopped on the aisle. There was an announcement at the Frankie Boyle Show this week that you wouldn't get back in once the show started...I would be in favour of that at Firhill☹️

Objective achieved, but on another day we could easily have lost that game.

We were insipid in the first half bar a couple openings before the goal when McBeth blazed over the bar, and Robinson hit the post (?). Great strike from Stanway for the goal and smart reactions from Scott Robinson to react to the rebound from Ridgers.

Disagree that Fake Thistle didn't create a chance - their number 4 should have burst the net with one that he dragged across the goal early in the second half. Dropping so deep when they went to 10 could have caused us headaches, but we got away with it in the end.

Thought Stanway, McBeth, Mitchell and Robinson were best for us. Fitzy had an odd performance punctuated by several poor choices in possession.

After all is said and done, a welcome result and three points!

Dreadful game & poor performance. Very few pass marks today but it’s 3 points and takes us closer to claiming third spot. ICT looked sharper than us but they created not a lot and Mitchell had very little to do. 2 tough away games coming up

Posted (edited)

Others have already commented on how we failed to take advantage of the extra man. One specific question I have is as regards defending corners and also free kicks near our box. Why did we bring everyone back and invite more pressure onto ourselves? Even to have had one player upfield would have forced Inverness most likely to withdraw two of their own players to guard against a potential breakaway.

PS Spandau got there first!

Edited by partickthedog
Someone else posted the same just before me!

First half we shaded it and just deserved our lead second half we struggled and gave the ball away a number of times, Fitzpatrick taking the ball to the corner flag and trying to waste time with about 15 minutes to go summed up or second half performance. McBeth MOTM for me. An important 3 points and another clean sheet. ICT did not look like a second bottom team.

7 minutes ago, spandau said:

Perhaps someone who knows the game could explain to me why the team with the extra man doesn’t leave one man up the field when defending corners and free-kicks?

this

we are a goal in front they go down to 10 men then we go to a back 5 

thought lawless and fitzpatrick were well off the pace today

neilson looked right out of it today really poor

robinson defo looks a good signing for us

lyons scores again today for east fife