Jump to content

Squad For 24/25 Season (And Signing Rumours)


Recommended Posts

As we now know that we will be in the Championship next season work will be starting on shaping the squad. I make it we have 15 players signed up (14 if you think that Lawless won't be available for a good chunk of the season).

McCready

Milne

Muirhead (confirmed by himself at a sponsors event a few weeks ago)

O'Reilly

Williams

 

Bannigan

Fitzpatrick

Lawless

Lyon

MacKenzie

McBeth

Robinson

Stanway

 

Diack

Graham

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Crawford seems a likely signing in midfield from Morton.

I'd like a number one goalie.

A right back is a priority now as McMillan is likely away.

Defence otherwise is sorted if you have McBeth in there or possibly as the defensive screen in midfield.

I'd like two attacking wide players and a forward to back up Graham, preferably with a bit of pace.

Diack is a good understudy to Graham and is already better than Dowds was in so.e aspects of his play.

Once it pans out we may need another midfielder (unless the likes of Lyon or MacKenzie can make the stepup).

Bottom line though we go into the off season with a good core of players. If we can add some quality in the positions mentioned we can have a right go challenging for the title. I've had enough of playoffs for now haha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hoping that A. Muirhead is signed as a backup only (if that). Doolan needs to learn from this season and start building a defence around O'Reilly who was signed as a "star man." Can't take another season of a slow and immobile CB pairing. Aero was signed up as a backup by Ian McCall three seasons ago and we are still running him at over 40 games a season. 

Defence is not even close to being sorted and is the weakest link. The 54 league goals conceded is proof of that. Would like us to get rid of Williams and Muirhead, and then start to reconstruct. 

Massive issue is the age of the team and lack of pace. Muirhead is an unimaginative signing and I hope it's not the type of player Doolan is targeting. Another slow player who doesn't score. We don't need another one of them in midfield. 

We also need to add someone to challenge Graham. I remember when Mark Robert's got old overnight and the goals dried up. That could happen and I don't think Diack can step up yet. Oakley is also the same mold of striker. Wouldn't mind seeing Tomi back as he offers something totally different. 

Also would be a big no for McInroy. 

Edited by Yellow & Redneck
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our 'star' of the last 2 games Blair Alston's contract is up soon. If you would have asked me last week should we extend his contract it would have been an emphatic no, but after his last 2 performances is he worth another year. I suppose what i am asking is where was the Blair Alston we seen on Tuesday and last night for the vast majority of the season and is it worth taking a chance on another year on him ? I think i would still say no.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alston is worth another season, but possibly not as a regular every week.

Thoughts about Nelson if he were to be available. I think a core midfield of Nelson and McBeth might be interesting. Both are ball winners, can move forward and are not afraid to have a pop from distance. Add that both can give cover (in emergency) in defence.

No way he is good enough for Hearts, so maybe an option ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d rather have McInroy than Alston to be honest. He’s offered a little more this season (I largely discount games he’s been played as a winger, as he’s not one and shouldn’t really be judged on playing there). I’m not fussed either way if either sign, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm quite hopeful that Doolan is improving as a manager. It makes sense; you throw anyone into a first job and they're going to have a lot to learn.

Good signs for me are that he's flexible, willing to change things that aren't working, and a fairly calm yet very positive presence. If he has indeed learned from the past season and a half, and if he recruits well, I reckon we could have a decent run at it next season.

No one coming into the league is giving me too much fear (though they'll all be competitive).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s really difficult to speak realistically as we don’t know how what the financial position is exactly and that’ll be the dominant determinant of who we can bring in.

Unlike last season, I think we’re starting a better base. However, it’s no secret that we’ve  got deficiencies at the centre of defence, midfield, up front and certainly a competent goalkeeper. Listing  them like that makes us sound awful, but I’m just listing areas we need, or perhaps more accurately what, if we can afford it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Neilson is highly rated by Hearts, who see him primarily as a centreback. If so, or even if they now have doubts, they'll want to loan him to a club above our level, maybe down south. Or they may think he's ok as a squad player at Tynecastle.

Random thoughts....

GK First team goalie needed. Someone who can recycle the ball efficiently. .Don't see much wrong with Mitchell as a back up keeper but have no knowledge what level McCready has reached.

Defence. Everyone appears to believe McMillan won't be here. So on that assumption need a right back who's got pace and stamina to double in a wingback role. Possibly Williams will be fine as a back up right back. Muirhead as a back up centreback. Or, assuming McBeth is preferred as a defensive midfielder, will we rely on either Aero/Wasiri at right centreback? I think there's logic in trying to sign Ngwenya or get him back on loan. Not as a starter but at least he's got a bit of pace about him and is relatively versatile. 

Midfield. I think we we need cover for McBeth but in any case could do with a second ball winner in that area of the park. Help us see out games. Btw I know Crawford is a box to box midfielder but not sure how much dig he has. Also unsure what type of central midfielder Zander aspires to be but he does look a strong type.

Further up midfield I feel we need to strengthen in the wide areas. Certainly require a left sided wide player to replace Lawless. Secondly cover for Fitzpatrick. Btw heard we might be interested in Logan Chalmers.

Up front. Wouldn't mind getting Adeloye back tho' ideally we need a wee nifty striker. A different type to Graham & Diack. 

Goes without saying but we have to increase the pace throughout the team. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

The talk of McMillan going to the premiership is beyond belief based on what I have scene for the past few months, the championship is his level...

At one time, I’d have disagreed with you, but as you say his form of late has been disappointing. Still think that like Milne that he’s got bags of potential and that’s what any Premiership side would buying. Personally, I wouldn’t dis any player for trying  to play at a higher level .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I think Neilson is highly rated by Hearts, who see him primarily as a centreback. If so, or even if they now have doubts, they'll want to loan him to a club above our level, maybe down south. Or they may think he's ok as a squad player at Tynecastle.

Random thoughts....

GK First team goalie needed. Someone who can recycle the ball efficiently. .Don't see much wrong with Mitchell as a back up keeper but have no knowledge what level McCready has reached.

Defence. Everyone appears to believe McMillan won't be here. So on that assumption need a right back who's got pace and stamina to double in a wingback role. Possibly Williams will be fine as a back up right back. Muirhead as a back up centreback. Or, assuming McBeth is preferred as a defensive midfielder, will we rely on either Aero/Wasiri at right centreback? I think there's logic in trying to sign Ngwenya or get him back on loan. Not as a starter but at least he's got a bit of pace about him and is relatively versatile. 

Midfield. I think we we need cover for McBeth but in any case could do with a second ball winner in that area of the park. Help us see out games. Btw I know Crawford is a box to box midfielder but not sure how much dig he has. Also unsure what type of central midfielder Zander aspires to be but he does look a strong type.

Further up midfield I feel we need to strengthen in the wide areas. Certainly require a left sided wide player to replace Lawless. Secondly cover for Fitzpatrick. Btw heard we might be interested in Logan Chalmers.

Up front. Wouldn't mind getting Adeloye back tho' ideally we need a wee nifty striker. A different type to Graham & Diack. 

Goes without saying but we have to increase the pace throughout the team. 

 

 

Agree with what you say, but as ever it’ll be determined by just how much money Dools has to spend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For those saying we need to fix the defence… let’s not lose sight of the fact we lost just 6 goals in 10 league matches starting with the 1.1 home draw against DU back on the 2nd March - which was the first game where Doolan actively switched his focus to a slightly more cautious approach. Assisted by the form of McBeth but without OReilly due to injury. The final game at Tannadice was a free hit with most players rested so we can ignore that one and the playoffs are naturally more open games. It was also noticeable that Muirhead’s form improved with McBeth alongside him. 
 

But Doolan will no doubt look to strengthen the defence and add a couple more at least. I’m guessing Muirhead got his extension due to the number of games he started automatically triggering a contract extension, and perhaps the absence / inconsistency of Williams and the absence of OReilly meant Muirhead played more games than intended. 
 

I think Mitchell deserves a new contract offer but the others don’t although I’ve no idea about McCready who seems to had have next to no game time at Spartans. 
 

I’d bite the hands off Hearts for another loan of Neilson but as a midfielder, he again showed last night he has the ability to waltz through the opposition. Not sure about Ngwenya, plenty of pace but…?

Interesting to see if mckenzie and Lyon get a chance at the beginning of the season or if they both go out on loan. Will Diack get an extended run. 
 

As others have pointed out we also need a right back, centre forward and at least one wide attacker as we can’t expect Fitzpatrick to do it every week and Lawless is out long term and another year older.
 

If Doolan can sign more quality like McBeth and OReilly we’re onto a winner. 
 

Optimistic but not complacent about next season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm hopeful that Williams establishes himself alongside O'Reilly in central defence, with Muirhead and McBeth as backup. Of course McBeth gets to play in midfield alongside Stanway, Bannigan or a new signing.

Neilson was good when he came on yesterday, but I wouldn't have him back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, fenski said:

I'm hopeful that Williams establishes himself alongside O'Reilly in central defence, with Muirhead and McBeth as backup. Of course McBeth gets to play in midfield alongside Stanway, Bannigan or a new signing.

Neilson was good when he came on yesterday, but I wouldn't have him back.

I agree that I am expecting to see a much improved and more consistent version of Wasiri Williams this coming season. Like Luke McBeth I can see him becoming a Thistle legend.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

He worked it into his right foot for the shot that curled past the post last night 

That was my feeling that he predominantly played with his right foot, so maybe it is no surprise that he hasn’t been great at left centre back or left midfield.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We really need to improve our midfield. 

McBeth will be a starter providing we get decent centre halves in. 

It all depends on what sort of budget we have but if we're looking to make a serious challenge next year then we can't be relying heavily on Bannigan/Stanway as our starters. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think before we start talking about what players to sign we need to think more about the formation that we play. Although we scored lots of goals last season we also lost a few. I would like Doolan to change to 2 strikers rather than one. Two from Graham, Diack and Adeloye. I understand Dowds will not be returning to Firhill.

My main Strikers would be Adeloye and Diack with Graham as back up.

I think playing with one striker allows the opposition to play an extra man in midfield whereas with 2 strikers the opposition would need to keep 3 players back as cover. We could also press more effectively with two up front.

A 3-5-2 formation would be my preferred formation with O'Reilly as the main Central Defender and McBeth as the main Defensive Midfielder. Its then a case of adding a bit more quality and steel in the middle of the team and Fitzpatrick, Milne and similar pacy players on the right to balance the team.

I agree that McMillan, on this season's form, is a championship level player and would/should stay with the Jags. If he goes then we need a full back who can defend but also play wing-back.

Looking at next seasons Championship I see no reason why we can't challenge for the title and avoid the play-off nonsense of a system.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see RC are in the play-off final yet again

I suggest a new rule that if an SPL Club finds itself  11th in the SPL League Table on 2(or perhaps 3) consecutive seasons then they should be automatically be relegated on the basis they have proved being unworthy of SPL membership .  The play?-offs for promotion to the SPL would be abandoned for that season and the club that  finishes second in the championships hold be automatically ally promoted.

Anyway back to this season. Who do we want to win - Ross County or Raith Rovers?

I would opt for Ross County on the basis that if relegated  Mcgregor would give them a massive budget to ensure they go straight back up and effectively buy promotion. I am not sure Raith could do this.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I see RC are in the play-off final yet again

I suggest a new rule that if an SPL Club finds itself  11th in the SPL League Table on 2(or perhaps 3) consecutive seasons then they should be automatically be relegated on the basis they have proved being unworthy of SPL membership .  The play?-offs for promotion to the SPL would be abandoned for that season and the club that  finishes second in the championships hold be automatically ally promoted.

Anyway back to this season. Who do we want to win - Ross County or Raith Rovers?

I would opt for Ross County on the basis that if relegated  Mcgregor would give them a massive budget to ensure they go straight back up and effectively buy promotion. I am not sure Raith could do this.

 

By the same token, any team that has been in the promotion play offs 2 or 3 times in a row is too good for the lower division and should just swap places with the unworthy team.

or maybe I'm biased.....

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I see RC are in the play-off final yet again

I suggest a new rule that if an SPL Club finds itself  11th in the SPL League Table on 2(or perhaps 3) consecutive seasons then they should be automatically be relegated on the basis they have proved being unworthy of SPL membership .  The play?-offs for promotion to the SPL would be abandoned for that season and the club that  finishes second in the championships hold be automatically ally promoted.

Anyway back to this season. Who do we want to win - Ross County or Raith Rovers?

I would opt for Ross County on the basis that if relegated  Mcgregor would give them a massive budget to ensure they go straight back up and effectively buy promotion. I am not sure Raith could do this.

 

 

 

I agree.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...