Dundee Utd

javeajag

All ready been said but we were lucky to still be in the game at half-time, despite nearly taking the lead just before HT. The defence was cut open at will by aimless punts forward with Frans & Miller particularly poor.

2nd half a different story, Miller was outstanding. Booth & Welsh great again, excellent having Dumbuya back also, his pace is frightening.

Was surprised that Pogba came on for Fraser, Elliott or Edwards were the obvious choices. I'd say it worked though, Pogba ran himself into the ground, won some headers & had good footwork on occasions. Still not fully convinced by him but as Lambie would have said, just give us a shift, which he did.

Great finish by Doolan & dummy from Amoo, who is fast turning into one of our most important players. Fair play to him, he's turned the corner & has been a different player in recent weeks.

Was it not Gerry Collins who said ' just gie us a shift' mibby Lambie aswell

That was Scottish football's equivalent of rope a dope tonight. United punched themselves out so to speak. On one big yellow spongy hand we can count ourselves lucky surviving the first half but on the other we deserved a bit of good fortune when we were playing a midweek game and had to make two forced substitutions,

Also thought it was most pleasurable hearing our vocal appreciation of James Craigen and Paul Paton.

• Like 1

The approach by the management team made this game fantastic, even if it ended 0-0.

A complete change from Saturday when they lost their bottle, today they were brave in the face of a 1st half going over. Tam was superb.why is he not in the international team at the moment?

Today Archie committed The Pog when everyone else would have brought on Edwards. I would have taken him back off again at ht as I certainly lost my nerve but Archie kept cool, assessed where we were going wrong and sent out the same players but a different team! Interesting that he knew Arabs would be 'narrow' . We scored from a wide area and nearly did again with Welsh later on. Excellent management and he certainly conned fat paat.

It's great to see Welsh playing so well and Miller great at CB. Welcome back wee Muzzy who has now altered the course of our last 2 wins.

Does Archie sometimes wake up in negative frame of mind? If he could get rid of his occasional negative aberrations we could be world beaters.

Proverbial game of two half's. But for Tam Cerny could easily have been 0-4 at half time, the save he tipped round the post/over the bar was magnificent. Defence were all over the place. Second half was like night and day. Best thing that happened was Fred getting injured and Gary Miller moving to centre half, where he was simply majestic. The icing on the cake was Muzzy coming on. The game turned completely. We have some real pace in the team when Booth, Muzzy, Ryan and David are on the pitch. The goal was fantastic. Brilliant run by Muzzy, fantastic dummy by Amoo and a quality finish by Dools. Bloody fantastic. Cerny for me was easily MOTM so was a bit surprised when it was announced Calum was. Still who cares....what a great night and fair dues, what a crowd Und brought down on a Tuesday night!

I was wondering since Muzzy was warming up early whether Frans started while carrying a bit of an injury and that might have had a bit of an effect on those round him since we seemed nervous and gave the ball away too easily in the first half. Miller was a bit flaky at RB but looked solid when moved to CH and of course Muzzy injected lots of energy and pace into the team.

I found myself, again, bemoaning Welsh at half time. Different player after the break. Change in performance from him was as crucial as Dumbaya's introduction.

I just hope Mustapha is completely fit. The team ticks when he is on the park. Quite extraordinary that he is playing for us and and not some far more famous club.

He is only one example of Alan Archibald's true ability as a manager. He can find us players that are totally underrated and support them and turn them into stars. Mr Amoo looked poor when we started playing him, now? With management support he is a changed person. His name is probably early on the team sheet. Our team captain, Abdul Osman, is the player I would most hate to lose. But Abdul's previous career woudn't have you jumping through hoops.

It is his recognition of ability and the willingness to persevere with it that makes Alan Archibald an outstanding manager.

I didn't make the match today.

Two comments.

The commentary on the PTFC web site, the official one, made up for that.

I really wish I had made it. A top four finish is a tad more than a dream now..

When I think of Dundee Utd the 1st thing that comes to mind is the hand ball in the cup game.

A cheat. This heinous act typifies that club.

Sometimes I think of '96 too. And Paton. And Davie Wilson's goal. Although I seem to remember he was in tears after?

Yes. Credit to him for that.

A big Thumbs Up for a good night's entertainment at Firhill.

Our back four were rattled and indecisive and only some outstanding goalkeeping from Cerny kept us in the game up to half-time - an amazing save to get that thumping close range shot over the bar.

The strange substitution didn't help the balance of the side when Fraser went off. Moving Doolan back doesn't work and he had one of his poorer games and United had loads of space to play in midfield. Pogba? In my view, he is the most inept player we have had since Big Gabriel Piccolo...and he is even slower than Stephen Craig at getting back onside.

We were much better in the Second Half particularly after Dumbuya came on. Miller was poor at right back but did well at centre back. Welsh & Osman began to influence the game, Lawless & Amoo looked threatening and Booth made some good runs but then took wrong options. It was a great run & cross by Muzzy and a cracking strike by Dools. We might well have increased our lead with some good attacks.

I think I have posted after every game I have been to this season that there is not much between the bottom nine sides. We are now able to win games without looking markedly better than the opposition. United may still stay up but it was satisfying to hear the shouts of "Going Down" at the end of the game to ease the pain of Blind Les Mottram and that night at Tannadice.

Mr Dallas seemed to find it easier to book Thistle than United Players tonight...and it did look albeit from a distance that Doolan was pulled back by the defender in the box in the first half though we have already had our annual quota of penalties.

I think you are being a bit harsh on Pogba.Admittedly in the 1st half he was poor, but so were most of the team. However, in the 2nd he was winning headers, getting in about the Utd defenders and holding the ball up well.

As for the referee, there were so many inconsistencies in his performance. A couple of examples -

Allowing Fraser to lie in a heap in our halfwhile Utd continue to attack. Later on helping a Utd player to his feet after he was hurt.

Another jags player had been fouled, he waited for advantage and when he saw we had it, he stopped play.

A Utd player dives in our box trying to win a pen. Did he get booked - no way

• Like 1

You are spot on Lenzie. Pogba put in a power of work in the second half after a first half in which everyone bar Tomas was very poor. As usual the whipping boys are Pogba and Welsh when things are going wrong. Personally I think Welsh had an excellent game last night. I wish some people on here would realise what horrific injury problems he has had over the last few years. He does a lot of the spade work in the middle of the park and Archie, quite rightly, obviously see's him as a vital cog in the engine room. That's good enough for me! If he could just tidy up the set plays and passing we would all be happy. It would be a dream come true if Sean scored the winner up at Dingwall to take us into the top 6 after all he has endured over the last 2 years!

Edited by Lindau

The difference in our shape and direction with Dumbaya in the team is quite incredible. The fact that Amoo has started to find some form as well will give teams no end of problems. United were all over the place trying to cope with our width on both sides second half last night, Booth had a couple of really good runs linking well with Lawless too. Think we would quite comfortably be looking at 4th just now had Dumbaya not been injured for as long.

Obviously given the start we had in the league this season and with the use of selective statistics it is easy to paint a falsely triumphalist picture of the development of the side since the first 9 games but it is truly remarkable that we have accumulated 38 points from 23 games since then - only 6 points fewer than Aberdeen and 2 points less than Hearts (although they have a game to play yet) - 11 wins, 5 draws and 7 defeats.

It could be argued that the poor start was a consequence of losing players over the summer and the re-construction of the team needed time and this is, unfortunately, a recurring theme for sides at our level. It is almost inevitable that there will be departures this summer and probably some players who we would want to stay will leave - it was ever thus, and the departures of O'Donnell, Taylor-Sinclair, Paton, Erskine, etc. bear witness to this - but I suspect few could ever have predicted the impact of Cerny, Dumbaya, Booth, Amoo, Miller, Lindsay and Seabourne and how they have effectively replaced and enhanced the squad. For this the management of the team and the financial awareness of the board deserves due recognition.

It would be nice to get into the top 6 - although that is not in our hands - but it would be no failure if we did not do so. This season has been a triumph over adversity and should be seen as such - and I hold up my hands as being a "glass half empty" supporter - it has surprised me - indeed I remember my surprisingly ecstatic delight - not to mention shock - when, on October 17th last year, on getting back to the car (I had been on a ferry trip to Rothesay) and turning on the radio finding out they had won 2-1 at Perth - personally I saw that as a turning point (the 3-0 win over a hapless hopeless managerless Dundee United the previous week was more expected even though they were below us at that time).

Onward and upward hopefully!!

Others have covered the football aspect last night very well but I just wanted to give a special mention to the ref as he certainly went out of his way to draw attention to himself. He just looked as if he was way out of his depth, is his surname getting him to a level his ability does not merit?

In my opinion it was the worst display from Dallas since Bobby Ewing stepped out of the shower to tell us the last series had all been a dream!

• Like 1

He did get booked. And Dan, for squaring up to him and (rightfully) calling him a cheating barsteward.

I didn't exactly see what Dan did. So I'm generalising when I say that a ref should show considerable tolerance to players remonstrating over an opponent trying to con the referee. Fans turn up to see their team play with passion if nothing else and if officials expect players to just stand back and watch an opponent blatantly cheat then they really don't understand football. They just might know the rules but that's not enough. Besides it's the players living as well. Akin in my mind to crossing a picket line, when you fully expect emotions to run high.

And again generalising but what was the outcome? A faint possibility a penalty would have been awarded and a booking apiece. One each if you like. In fact the chances that the diving wee shit would have picked up a second yellow later in a game is far less than a last line defender. Arguably the cheating side come away better off. As I say I don't know in this specific and it was late in the game anyway but if you know you're up against a passionate opposition that are likely to react there's not much incentive not to have a wee dive.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

...Akin in my mind to crossing a picket line, when you fully expect emotions to run high....

Straight :red_card: and penalty then? Surely not, when in the opposition's box! :D

Two unusual things happened: Archie gave the team a roasting at half-time, and Doolan put the ball away sweetly with his weaker (right) foot. Two men who keep working at increasing their skillsets. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I didn't exactly see what Dan did. So I'm generalising when I say that a ref should show considerable tolerance to players remonstrating over an opponent trying to con the referee. Fans turn up to see their team play with passion if nothing else and if officials expect players to just stand back and watch an opponent blatantly cheat then they really don't understand football. They just might know the rules but that's not enough. Besides it's the players living as well. Akin in my mind to crossing a picket line, when you fully expect emotions to run high.

And again generalising but what was the outcome? A faint possibility a penalty would have been awarded and a booking apiece. One each if you like. In fact the chances that the diving wee shit would have picked up a second yellow later in a game is far less than a last line defender. Arguably the cheating side come away better off. As I say I don't know in this specific and it was late in the game anyway but if you know you're up against a passionate opposition that are likely to react there's not much incentive not to have a wee dive.

If a player is guilty of simulation then the opposing player should be allowed to give him a kick commensurate in power with that which it would have taken to actually cause the cheat to fall to the ground in such a manner in the first place. Alternatively the victims of the cheat could be awarded the decision they were attempting to win at the opposite end of the park. I prefer the one where Seabourne gets to run up and boot a Dundee Utd player though.

• Like 3

9points, 6goals for 0against thanks Dundee Utd. Game of 2 halves would have been beat by half time if it wasn't for Cerny.Came out second half completly different team.

Not for the 1st time this season have we been pedestrian in 1st half and come out all guns blazing in the 2nd