January Transfer Window

javeajag

35 minutes ago, sandy said:

Another OF loanee. Pfft. This is not the way forward for the Jags. 

If McIver can improve from his loan to Alloa then bringing in a loanee who can facilitate that should be welcome, regardless of who is his parent club. Besides it's very difficult to see how we can be worse off after today's business

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

McIvers contract up in the summer. At 23 playing 10 minutes or so of a game is not good for his career, best he goes of to Alloa and see if he can get more game time.

I would have kept McIvor for his heading ability alone , if the best we can get after the transfer window has been open to us for the last 2 months is a Rangers youth team player who has been playing in the fifth tier of Scottish Football then the McCall/Britton partnership has a lot of to answer for . Makes the Zak Rudden deal all the more ridiculous.

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

I would have kept McIvor for his heading ability alone , if the best we can get after the transfer window has been open to us for the last 2 months is a Rangers youth team player who has been playing in the fifth tier of Scottish Football then the McCall/Britton partnership has a lot of to answer for . Makes the Zak Rudden deal all the more ridiculous.

I was really surprised that we signed McIvor for this season as i thought that he struggled to make any impact in league 1 last season. I can only think that McCall thought he could improve him,unfortunately he couldn't. Yes he was involved in a couple of goals but he also missed an absolute sitter against Arbroath at Firhill, this was when the score was 1-0 for Arbroath if we equalised like we should have we may have got something out of that game. I think that he never usually gets more than 10 minutes in a game tells us that McCall realises that he made a mistake. I feel his time at Firhill will be his last as a full time player, he may get a team in league 1 or 2 but that is his limit for me. As for the Rangers youth player i know nothing about him, i just hope he helps to get us a play off place.

2 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Kept for his heading ability? Really. He's just not good enough.  I agree a bad signing by mccall but sometimes you just have to say enough is enough. Tbh not convinced by jabubiak either. Nb we probably are skint but not really a surprise. 

McCall says in an interview that the normal worry of loan signing a youngster is usually a lack of physicality. That's evidently not a problem with Alegria. McIver is far too easily knocked off the ball. When he came on as sub and Graham (or to a degree, Rudden) was no longer on the pitch we were basically left impotent in attack. Another cause to  make Tiffoney's job that much harder. Assuming McCall is correct about the physicality issue we have to be better off with Alegria. Even if he and Jakubiak for that matter don't score goals we'll at least be able to play a "nuisance" type for 90 mins. Anything that takes our over reliance on Graham away and can help free up our lightweight attacking mid (Tiff, Smith, Turner & Crawford) has got to be welcome. 

We'll find out in due course whether Alegria in for McIver is of great, reasonable or just marginal benefit.  Whatever I imagine we're somehow improved as a squad.

32 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Just read what McCall says. " With so many games coming up signing Alegria adds more attacking options". And he let's McIver ( a striker) go out on loan????

Pretty sure McCall was hoping to get more than one striker in  so when McIver was away i assumed a second loan was incoming, hopefully there is a free agent planned as well as it does not make sense to let McIver go on loan otherwise.

14 hours ago, dl1971 said:

Kept for his heading ability? Really. He's just not good enough.  I agree a bad signing by mccall but sometimes you just have to say enough is enough. Tbh not convinced by jabubiak either. Nb we probably are skint but not really a surprise. 

He’s not good enough, but we actually need more players in , McIvor going out on loan makes no sense .

We’ve got 1 creative player in the team ( Tiff) and 1 goal scorer in the team (Brian Graham)the lack of squad depth that we’ve got is frightening.

You’re probably right we are skint .

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Just read what McCall says. " With so many games coming up signing Alegria adds more attacking options". And he let's McIver ( a striker) go out on loan????

Was McIver really an attacking option? In the league he has not scored and has 1 assist to his name.

If Alegria is replacing MacIver he has to get more than 1 assist by the end of the season to add to our attacking options.

Unfortunately for us we need someone who can replace Rudden's 8 goals and 2 assists. Jakubiak so far has nothing in 3 appearances.

20 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Do you generally think McCall is happy with the transfer window? I personally don’t think he will have been.

My gut feeling is he has been told we are skint and to make do with buttons unfortunately 

2 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Do you generally think McCall is happy with the transfer window? I personally don’t think he will have been.

My gut feeling is he has been told we are skint and to make do with buttons unfortunately 

Not wanting to take this off topic, but how will be realistically manage any more purchases under fan control? 

13 minutes ago, sandy said:

Not wanting to take this off topic, but how will be realistically manage any more purchases under fan control? 

There will be still be the "normal" sources of income - sponsorships, season tickets, prize money, etc. There could be money from TJF if the members want it spent on the playing budget. It would be up to the club board to maximise income but TJF could provide advice on that as well.