Accies v Thistle

Albert's Ghost

Sneddon was rather insecure at set pieces. However, to be fair, Hamilton really crowded the 6 yard box and put in some good deliveries, so it would have been difficult for any keeper. There was more kicking from hand and less rolling to a defender than would have been the case for Mitchell.

His two main saves were top quality. First was a clear through one on one, He spread himself very well. The second was stunning, very reminiscent of his save on the last day of the season at Palmerston in 2019. Header going back across goal, and he showed tremendous reflexes to stick out a hand.

4 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Up until last week, I don’t think McKinnon had really recovered from his illness, Tiffoney isn’t fully fit, Fitzpatrick’s form hasn’t been great. It leaves plenty of room for Smith unfortunately.

Fitzpatrick has still contributed more than smith has despite playing less games including more goals 

Strange and frustrating  game,could  have easily finished 3 or 4 ahead or fumbled points at the end by sitting too deep .At the end of the day it’s these hard fought away day wins that’ll make the difference in topping the league come season end .

Great to see the fans turn up in good numbers today , certainly played a part in getting the team over the line .

1 hour ago, ChiThistle said:

How was Sneddon in goals today?  Is this a different outcome with Mitchell in?

Had a couple of really good saves but looked dodgy for their goal. Frustrating as hell with his lethargic attitude to recycling the ball. An opposition fan would be convinced he was time wasting from the KO. I don't think he's doing himself a lot of favour in terms of getting first choice keeper spot back. I still prefer Jaimie to Mitchell as I believe Sneddon can make saves Mitchell would struggle to match. Jaimie should be able to improve on the speed of his recycling and better his distribution in general. Long aimlessly thumped balls out of defence were too prevalent today. 

Re the game itself I felt we were a tad lucky to get all three points. Our 2nd goal came against the run of play. But after that we were the dominant side even if we didn't exactly see the game out that comfortably. I'll take any win, any which way on that surface.  

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 2

Reading the comments about how we didn't play well or move the ball around etc made me wonder if there was a reason for this other than we were just off form. It didn't seem to be because Hamilton were better.

I noticed from the games statistics Hamilton committed 21 fouls. The highest of any team in the championship by far! Perhaps this was a deliberate tactic to fragment the flow of the game and stop us playing the free-flowing attacking football demonstrated in the 6-1 hammering we gave them last season.

If this was the case then some Hamilton players must have been repeat offenders so would have expected more than 2 yellow cards for Hamilton players. However such a tactic would be to subtle  for  Barry Cook as he  doesn't know a goal when he sees one even when the ball hits the back of the  net (ghost goal v Morton)!

10 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Reading the comments about how we didn't play well or move the ball around etc made me wonder if there was a reason for this other than we were just off form. It didn't seem to be because Hamilton were better.

I noticed from the games statistics Hamilton committed 21 fouls. The highest of any team in the championship by far! Perhaps this was a deliberate tactic to fragment the flow of the game and stop us playing the free-flowing attacking football demonstrated in the 6-1 hammering we gave them last season.

If this was the case then some Hamilton players must have been repeat offenders so would have expected more than 2 yellow cards for Hamilton players. However such a tactic would be to subtle  for  Barry Cook as he  doesn't know a goal when he sees one even when the ball hits the back of the  net (ghost goal v Morton)!

There was a little inconsistency in the refereeing but no more than normal. The fouling was almost all rather innocuous. I'd put it down to the amount of time the ball was in the air. The resultant crazy bounce off that surface too often wrong footed players, forcing them into petty fouling. Had of course the same effect you mention with regards to fragmenting the flow of play. I'd suggest Accies are more used to dealing with that sort of game. In performance terms I'd give Mr Cook a 6 out of 10 plus and a couple of doggy chews for his guide dog.

Fortunately we got all 3pts. Trying not to sound too arrogant but it looked a case of the opposition bringing us down to their level, and nearly succeeding. It's a nagging worry with me that not being able to deal with adverse playing conditions away from home (eg QP at Stenny) could be our downfall. 

16 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Had a couple of really good saves but looked dodgy for their goal. Frustrating as hell with his lethargic attitude to recycling the ball. An opposition fan would be convinced he was time wasting from the KO. I don't think he's doing himself a lot of favour in terms of getting first choice keeper spot back. I still prefer Jaimie to Mitchell as I believe Sneddon can make saves Mitchell would struggle to match. Jaimie should be able to improve on the speed of his recycling and better his distribution in general. Long aimlessly thumped balls out of defence were too prevalent today. 

Re the game itself I felt we were a tad lucky to get all three points. Our 2nd goal came against the run of play. But after that we were the dominant side even if we didn't exactly see the game out that comfortably. I'll take any win, any which way on that surface.  

With Kenny "The Snail" Arthur as coach? :huh:

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

There was a little inconsistency in the refereeing but no more than normal. The fouling was almost all rather innocuous. I'd put it down to the amount of time the ball was in the air. The resultant crazy bounce off that surface too often wrong footed players, forcing them into petty fouling. Had of course the same effect you mention with regards to fragmenting the flow of play. I'd suggest Accies are more used to dealing with that sort of game. In performance terms I'd give Mr Cook a 6 out of 10 plus and a couple of doggy chews for his guide dog.

Fortunately we got all 3pts. Trying not to sound too arrogant but it looked a case of the opposition bringing us down to their level, and nearly succeeding. It's a nagging worry with me that not being able to deal with adverse playing conditions away from home (eg QP at Stenny) could be our downfall. 

6 out of 10 for the ref seems overly generous LIB. Andy Ryan  constantly jumped at jags' players & never even received a yellow. At times it bordered on assault. Re your other point, I'm always nervous when we're on an artificial pitch.