Summer comings and goings

Jaggernaut

Looks like hopefully some incoming players soon according to Kris at bottom of article on official site:

“I can assure fans I have been working around the clock over the past two weeks on securing deals with players who want to play for Partick Thistle next season and we will be able to begin announcing some of those this week. The response from Jags fans over the past fortnight or so has been nothing short of remarkable, in particular season ticket sales, which is a huge boost and makes me even more proud to be Partick Thistle manager.”

• Like 1

The loss of these particular players and others already departed is not surprising.

However, I am far more concerned by the depletion of our songbook. Doc and Tiff each had their own song, plus both being mentioned in a joint song. Holt laid claim to "Gold" and was certainly better value than Alex Jones. Turner, Mullen and the sensational Daz Brownlie also had their own songs.

Do we have sufficient able composers in our ranks to come up with new songs for the incomers?

Can’t say I am too sad about doc leaving. Last 6 months I thought he was awful. Gave the ball away too many times, looks to have lost some pace and his penalty summed it all up, weak. 

note: not saying he was a bad player for us over his whole spell it’s just to me he looks off the pace and I would be surprised if he is still a Dundee utd player next off season even though he’s on a two year deal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Can’t say I am too sad about doc leaving. Last 6 months I thought he was awful. Gave the ball away too many times, looks to have lost some pace and his penalty summed it all up, weak. 

note: not saying he was a bad player for us over his whole spell it’s just to me he looks off the pace and I would be surprised if he is still a Dundee utd player next off season even though he’s on a two year deal.

Out of the 3, Docherty is the one I am meh about.

2 hours ago, dpj said:

Looks like hopefully some incoming players soon according to Kris at bottom of article on official site:

“I can assure fans I have been working around the clock over the past two weeks on securing deals with players who want to play for Partick Thistle next season and we will be able to begin announcing some of those this week. The response from Jags fans over the past fortnight or so has been nothing short of remarkable, in particular season ticket sales, which is a huge boost and makes me even more proud to be Partick Thistle manager.”

Difficult to attract players with all the negativity regarding Finances at the club,Somehow we need to generate positivity,dont know how but how are we going to attract anyone?.

My view is that all three were very good players for us. Plenty of people thought the docherty/bannigan axis didn't work, so that conundrum now sorted. As always no player is irreplaceable so hopefully some new faces to come that will make us a decent team next year. For morale purposes important we get some new signings in ASAP. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, falklandal1 said:

Difficult to attract players with all the negativity regarding Finances at the club,Somehow we need to generate positivity,dont know how but how are we going to attract anyone?.

Season tickets are well ahead of schedule, plus the TJF inputs a pretty good story I'd say. Whether it's enough to balance the mess left by the previous board is unknown, but I hope so. 

Of the three, Docherty may well be the hardest to replace.

No coincidence either that results fell off a cliff after he got crocked at Aberdeen. His reading of the game and his work off the ball has been a major reason why we were able to mount the end of season challenge. Not a flashy player, but the work he does will never be underestimated by his fellow players. Banzo may well find that out next season depending on who comes in.

Turner's potential only brought regular fruit (dead balls apart) once Doolan came in and started playing him regularly in a position that best suited his skills, unlike McCall who in 18 months singularly failed to build a midfield around him. Bizarrely, Turner improved the team even further when Banzo's injury v Queens Park required him into a deeper role from which Tiffoney and Fitzpatrick benefitted.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, falklandal1 said:

Whilst we should not underestimate the financial situation we should not allow it to become more of an issue than it needs to be. We will still be paying a reasonable wage for kicking a ball about. What I think, without any inside knowledge I should add, is that we will be going with a group of younger players who will be happy to play for what could be considered a smaller wage knowing that if they play well they will move on to bigger things. This will need to be supplemented with some good experienced pros and we already have Graham signed up. I hope he will be joined by Muirhead and Bannigan.

20 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

My view is that all three were very good players for us. Plenty of people thought the docherty/bannigan axis didn't work, so that conundrum now sorted. As always no player is irreplaceable so hopefully some new faces to come that will make us a decent team next year. For morale purposes important we get some new signings in ASAP. 

Think it’s important to remember we didn’t get promotion with that team and it was time for a rebuild.

Would have loved to have kept Kevin Holt as a centre half .

Big chance for Aidan after Tiff has left 

Chance for young Zander to establish himself in Docs place .

Kyle Turner might be harder to replace, as he seemed to take every free kick and corner kick but at times lacked physicality when the going got tough .

Might take a couple of years to rebuild but in Dools we trust .

3 hours ago, dpj said:

Are the players he is referring too not just out of contract players signing new deals eg Sneddon, Bannigan etc rather than completely new signings?

Imo the 4 players who have left will be a big loss. But we all know we couldn't afford them on their previous wages. Again as others have said thanks to the previous board. We shall just need to wait and see who we get in and get right behind them. I am not saying wages are not important, because they are, but i am sure the way our fans have responded to the news of our financial problems will make players realise we are a team worth playing for. 

2 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Imo the 4 players who have left will be a big loss. But we all know we couldn't afford them on their previous wages. Again as others have said thanks to the previous board. We shall just need to wait and see who we get in and get right behind them. I am not saying wages are not important, because they are, but i am sure the way our fans have responded to the news of our financial problems will make players realise we are a team worth playing for. 

Agree with your post , we’ll be fine , lots of good players have been freed and looking for Clubs 

• Like 1

Replacing Doc is probably the most difficult of the 3. Beyond the fact that he's a very decent top end of the championship level DFM he's only a very good captain. 

Graham is the obvious candidate to replace him as captain but a forward player as a captain tends not to work so well and at his age there are likely to be periods where he is not on the pitch. Bannigan (if he stays) has been tried and really isn't the answer so that leaves probably McMillan or Muirhead (if he stays)

Really looking forward to who Doolan brings in. Hoping to see a different approach to recruitment.

Very disappointed to see all three go and will be hard to replace, but completely understandable. All three (plus Tiff) have been excellent servants to the club. I wish them all the best, with the usual refrain of except against us

Doc in particular signed presumably in anticipation of a promotion push to the top league but ended up playing in League 1. He could have walked away from that pre-contract but didn’t. 

Like everyone else, I think we may have a period of steadying the ship. However, being positive, we have the two best full backs and two best wingers in the league and Graham will still cause teams problems. 

There are also some echoes of the 12/13 team. McCall left, McNamara had done little but we finished his first full season very strongly after a mediocre campaign. If I remember correctly, our main man Paul Cairney left and we were hesitant about the year ahead. Let’s be honest - who had heard of of Aarons Muirhead and Sinclair, James Craigen, Lawless or SoD. Jackie did though build a brilliant team around those players, some experienced heads like Archie and the emerging Banzo and Welsh. It’s not all about money all the time, as much as it helps. 

Dools has had us playing some brilliant stuff - next test is now his eye for a player.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, laukat said:

Replacing Doc is probably the most difficult of the 3. Beyond the fact that he's a very decent top end of the championship level DFM he's only a very good captain. 

Graham is the obvious candidate to replace him as captain but a forward player as a captain tends not to work so well and at his age there are likely to be periods where he is not on the pitch. Bannigan (if he stays) has been tried and really isn't the answer so that leaves probably McMillan or Muirhead (if he stays)

Really looking forward to who Doolan brings in. Hoping to see a different approach to recruitment.

Disagree, Turners 14 Assists in one season is something I don’t think we will see again soon from a midfielder, he’s really matured this season and I’m pretty gutted we won’t have him in his prime.