If you didn't support Thistle in Scotland, who would you support?

Jaggernaut

I don't know if this has already been a topic among the hundreds of others.

I know there are proud and staunch Jags fans who used to be supporters of other clubs. But what if the Jags disappeared? Sure, many of us would just give up and finally start following or participating in another sport, but I guess some would (want to) continue to  "enjoy" watching football. So, would another team be able to capture your devoted support?

For me, it would probably have been Third Lanark, but clearly that ain't gonna happen. I have a soft spot for teams that I have a geographical connection with, which means Stirling Albion and Alloa, but probably, I'd end up pledging allegiance and spending too much money on Arbroath.

As an afterthought: Clydebank.

25 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I used to along to watch Kirkintilloch Rob Roy now and again, but they have been displaced and I am not sure where they play now. So not sure if I would go anywhere.

The "Juniors" are an interesting category, and I'll admit that I don't even know if that term is still used. My grandpa was physio. and chiropodist for Ashfield for many years, so  I have a vague affinity with them. 

I agree with Jaggernaut as regards Clydebank (despite the 7-1!!), but it would be a rather more difficult choice if I were forced to choose a SPFL side.

It's easy to eliminate certain teams on geographical grounds, easier still to eliminate two particular clubs on grounds of religion/bigotry, which leaves a reduced number to choose from. If forced then I would go for Dumbarton or (whisper it) Morton .........................................with Queen's Park getting an honourable mention! 

Edited by JeanieD

I grew up in Kirkcaldy and then Aberdeen so I'd probably have been either a Raith Rovers or an Aberdeen fan. I went to games at Stark's Park and later Pittodrie as a boy before getting back into football in my teens (I retreated into rugby in early secondary school as I was actually able to play it...)

A colleague of my father (and a good family friend to this day) is responsible for steering me the Thistle way.

In the horrible event of Thistle ceasing to exist ( the previous board did, IMHO, make a good attempt at this) I too wouldn't support or even go and see another Scottish  team.

I would still contribute to the Thistle Archive, because club or no club, that would continue to find new material, I'm sure.

I may go and watch local clubs in my area in the Southern Leagues, and Dover Athletic - but very occasionally. 

If the worst happened and Thistle were no more I couldn't see myself going to watch another senior team but would probably go to some of the junior teams locally. Being in Fife there's plenty to choose from.

I've a soft spot for a couple of non league teams in England so could end up having a few weekends away. 

Edited by fifexile

To add that I would watch some football in the guise of Ipswich Town. Been a few times and the experience is so much better than Scottish football. But,Scottish football? I'd be done with it. Even the national team. Although they are doing exceptionally well at the moment, I don't get myself really excited about a win or remotely down over a defeat.

37 minutes ago, Bryza said:

Being in EK my choices would be locally EK, EK Thistle with Accies and Queens Park not too far.
Mind you Albion Rovers isn't a million miles away.

I’m the same but I honestly don’t think I’d bother. It was something I thought about during Save The Jags time and concluded then I probably wouldn’t support another team.

I’ve considered going to see EK a few times, especially when Squiddy was there but I couldn’t get motivated enough. 

i went to Anfield recently and quite enjoyed the day out but couldn’t really get into it, even though I was a bit of a fan when Hansen played for them. 

I might occasionally go to see the odd game, most likely in faraway and rural/Highland parts of Scotland which I would enjoy visiting in their own right, but I could not see myself taking any strong supporter type interest in any other club.

The more challenging question for me is as to what I would do if Thistle were to merge/amalgamate with another club. I cannot answer that one just now. So much would depend on the particular circumstances at that time.

4 hours ago, jaggy said:

I’m the same but I honestly don’t think I’d bother. It was something I thought about during Save The Jags time and concluded then I probably wouldn’t support another team.

I’ve considered going to see EK a few times, especially when Squiddy was there but I couldn’t get motivated enough. 

i went to Anfield recently and quite enjoyed the day out but couldn’t really get into it, even though I was a bit of a fan when Hansen played for them. 

Yeah I know what you mean.
EKFC are a short walk away but last and only time i was there was for the Thistle friendly last season.
I'd be kidding myself on if I went to see Accies or QP.
Thought the same during STJ, just wouldnt bother anymore so i guess my answer to this thread is the same.

I stay in Renfrew about a mile from Braehead so i could go and watch the hockey. I am not far from Renfrew juniors and about 4 miles from St. Mirren. After supporting Thistle for nigh on 60 years i could not have the same passion or enthusiasm to go to any of the aforementioned as i have for supporting Thistle.

So for me i would be an armchair supporter.  

It's really not easy to support any other team.

I've lived in England for most of my life and been to a few grounds to watch different teams. I even followed my home town team, Corby, for a couple of years but it's just not the same.

I'll watch an English game with Scottish players in it and in some way enjoy it but that's about it.

I'll only ever support Thistle and Scotland.

If Thistle were no more, I'd only support Scotland.