January Transfer Window

JAG1970

On 1/23/2024 at 6:36 PM, ChiThistle said:

Not sure what Rudden is going to do for us that Graham, Adeloye, or Diack can’t - or hasn’t given us glimpses of.

Get Diack tied down on a longer deal and prepare him to be our second choice striker.  Should be working to figure out who our third striker next year would be - not taking on more loan players this season.

No disrespect to Graham who will be 37 yrs next season but I would like our main strikers to be Adeloye and Diack,  in a 3-5-2 formation, with Graham as our back up striker. We may well need to sign another striker.

On 1/23/2024 at 8:51 PM, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

Anything more about Thomas? Still think he’d be an asset.

Yes agree wit uou. Thomas would be a good signing as he would be a good addition as he can play wide and, as he has shown against us, has a nose for hoal. Paton would also be a good buy but if we could swing both then we would be top heavy up front and probably "skint"!

7 hours ago, exiledjag said:

No disrespect to Graham who will be 37 yrs next season but I would like our main strikers to be Adeloye and Diack,  in a 3-5-2 formation, with Graham as our back up striker. We may well need to sign another striker.

Yes agree wit uou. Thomas would be a good signing as he would be a good addition as he can play wide and, as he has shown against us, has a nose for hoal. Paton would also be a good buy but if we could swing both then we would be top heavy up front and probably "skint"!

I think it would probably be Thomas that would think twice about coming to us. He would have a hard job displacing either Fitzpatrick or Lawless at the moment. Or does he play more in the same position as McInroy?

3 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I think it would probably be Thomas that would think twice about coming to us. He would have a hard job displacing either Fitzpatrick or Lawless at the moment. Or does he play more in the same position as McInroy?

I think all 3 could play, with Fitz, Stevie and Dom rotating who was on the wing and who was down the middle supporting Graham. It would need better defensive cover in midfield, but that attacking 4 would be really hard to defend against.

7 hours ago, exiledjag said:

We would need to change our manager before we start with 2 up front. Doolan has shown absolutely no inclination to that sort of formation. Also drop the most prolific striker we have had in years ? No thanks.

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

We would need to change our manager before we start with 2 up front. Doolan has shown absolutely no inclination to that sort of formation. Also drop the most prolific striker we have had in years ? No thanks.

Not only the most prolific striker we have had in years, but I believe it's the most prolific he has been in his career (at least over an extended period of more than a season). It shows no indication that he's losing it with age (he seems fit enough certainly), so for now I don't think his age is that relevant.

As for two up front, I'm not sure how that addresses our main issue of conceding too many. We already score enough to win this league comfortably, if only we could defend more competently. Hopefully the new signings will go some way to addressing this.

• Like 1

I prefer the more attacking set up we have at present to playing two up. Then again it's also down to personnel. Lawless & Graham are here for another couple of seasons but age could pay a toll. Ironically we may be better suited to playing three at the back while we've still got Neilson than next season. Similarly we likely won't have McMillan who can play a genuine wingback role. Not that I'm advocating it or expecting Doolan to change formation just now, more about the question of personnel. 

Should also point out I'm talking about starting elevens. A team has to have the ability to adapt formation to chase a game or protect a lead. We're now better equipped player wise to do so.

I always thought this was a non-starter as I know people who know him and his family and from what I heard he’s on over 2 grand per week at QP. I also heard from the same sources that we tried to sign him when he left Dunfermline and that he was about to sign for us then QP offered double what we had offered. 

29 minutes ago, jaggy said:

I always thought this was a non-starter as I know people who know him and his family and from what I heard he’s on over 2 grand per week at QP. I also heard from the same sources that we tried to sign him when he left Dunfermline and that he was about to sign for us then QP offered double what we had offered. 

So perhaps the only likelihood of him signing would be in the summer. And at that dependent on an unfavourable to player relegation clause kicking in.

I don't know how much substance there is to the Dom Thomas rumours. However I think Dom Thomas may like there to be.

The links were all at the time were Queens had still to appoint a manager and I wondered if it was Thomas's way of saying of trying to get Queens to appoint a sensible manager and sensible signings whilst flagging to the new manager that if they don't extend his contract now other clubs could pounce.

Now they have Davidson in charge and have signed Welsh it seems to have gone quiet.

Thomas is a good player but he's in danger of having 2 championship relegations on his CV, one with Dunfermline and now Queens circling the drain. The wage he could demand at the end of his Queens contract is going to be impacted if he's a league 1 player at that point. When you add that he's 27 and his next contract is likely to be his last on decent money I could see his agent trying to develop an exit route for the summer or trying to get Queens to offer him an extension on his current deal.

He's not going to get a premiership team and next season its possible we have the biggest budget in the Championship so come summer he could be either looking at a season in league 1 to keep his wages but knowing the drop off in wages after that season is much larger or get out in the summer, accept a lower wage but  know he can get a contract at that wage for a longer period.

11 minutes ago, laukat said:

I don't know how much substance there is to the Dom Thomas rumours. However I think Dom Thomas may like there to be.

The links were all at the time were Queens had still to appoint a manager and I wondered if it was Thomas's way of saying of trying to get Queens to appoint a sensible manager and sensible signings whilst flagging to the new manager that if they don't extend his contract now other clubs could pounce.

Now they have Davidson in charge and have signed Welsh it seems to have gone quiet.

Thomas is a good player but he's in danger of having 2 championship relegations on his CV, one with Dunfermline and now Queens circling the drain. The wage he could demand at the end of his Queens contract is going to be impacted if he's a league 1 player at that point. When you add that he's 27 and his next contract is likely to be his last on decent money I could see his agent trying to develop an exit route for the summer or trying to get Queens to offer him an extension on his current deal.

He's not going to get a premiership team and next season its possible we have the biggest budget in the Championship so come summer he could be either looking at a season in league 1 to keep his wages but knowing the drop off in wages after that season is much larger or get out in the summer, accept a lower wage but  know he can get a contract at that wage for a longer period.

I would think Queen’s Park and Raith Rovers easily have bigger budgets than us and will probably do so next year regardless of the division they are in mate

2 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I would think Queen’s Park and Raith Rovers easily have bigger budgets than us and will probably do so next year regardless of the division they are in mate

Please, don't go there...😬😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

7 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I think the moneys running out at Queens. Davidson getting the job suggests they've ditched the Dutch experiment. Equally Dempster leaving suggests Haughey is loosing interest.

Raith will be around the same, maybe a bit more, but the over riding point is no-one is offering him the wages Queens gave him on his current contract

15 minutes ago, jags on tour said:

Rumours from the Daily Record that we are to recall Dowds from Ayr as Killie want him on loan? Really?

I am not an expert on the rules but I believe that there is a date a club loaning a player out has to advise the other club if he is being recalled and that has passed. Even then as he has played for us and Ayr he could not play for another club this season.