Home vs Inverness 23.12.2023

MarciaBlaine

5 minutes ago, Grubber8468 said:

Absolute stonewall pen for them in second half with Bannigan! Very poor again after break… we are doing very well to be third because I don’t believe we are the third best footballing team in league but we must have something about us. 

We were poor today bar a 15 minute spell in first half. If we're not third best football team.....( 7 points ahead of 4th ) I'd be surprised. 

I’m not sure our defence is that poor but our midfield certainly is. They offer zero protection for our defenders and zero options to play out from the back.

Our best play came from Neilson taking the ball forward himself. I heard a few laughs when Muirhead was awarded Motm but I thought he was decent enough alongside Neilson in difficult decisions.

We didn’t do enough with the wind advantage in first half and then struggled to get out against it in the second. 

Fitzy had a poor game bar a couple of runs (his cross at the end was crying out to be attacked). 

Adeloye offers nothing. 

Caley were decent enough but a draw was probably just about fair result overall.

Would need to see their goal again but a few players didn’t look to cover themselves in glory.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ChiThistle said:

Felt like we ran out of ideas pretty quickly.  Amazing how we can go from pummeling their 18-yard box to looking like we were playing down a man.

Weren't we, though? I thought that was the point of bringing Robinson in - to give the other team a man advantage.

• Haha 1

A blustery wind & heavy pitch usually means a poor game but Inverness played more football and had us hemmed in for most of a dreich cold & miserable second half. Neilson defended & brought the ball forward well and although he and Muirhead made too many long diagonal passes to nobody, I'm more inclined to fault the lack of options. Tiffoney & Turner could get on the ball and make things happen - none of our current midfielders can do that nor can they win the ball back or defend their box.

Dopey defending for both goals. Lawless fell out the game and apart from some good runs & crosses from Fitzpatrick, we created very little. Robinson was even more effective than Alston in the invisible man role and Adeloye again didn't get involved.

We scored 9 goals against Inverness at Firhill last season - this was another game this season when we didn't look better than the opposition but we are comfortably third.

Backline defence was fine today. Yet again the midfield lack any dig, but we already knew that. With conditions the way they were I didn't like seeing us give away so many corners. Thought it only a matter of time till we would get caught out. Even tho' we rode our luck I thought we still deserved a point. Fitzpatrick's low cross late on was maybe too good. Fair fizzed across the goalmouth.

If they’d left Firhill with a 4-1 victory I don’t think we could have had many complaints.

Totally fell out the game second half. No off-ball runs, poor use of wings, fundamentally not at the races.

Would have liked to see Zander brought on to inject a bit of pace and urgency into the game.

Harry Milne had a poor game and yet probably single handedly salvaged us a point with his defensive efforts.

We need an imposing defensive midfielder, should probably give David Mitchell a run of games, and Muirhead needs competition for the experienced centre half spot.

No point having Neilson running out with the ball from the back if there’s no midfield out ball for him to pass to.

In the circumstances, a point salvaged, probably undeservedly.

We could not have started any worse conceding in something like 25 seconds or so. We took about 10 minutes to get some moves going, but after we equalised we were the better team and had a penalty shout when Milne looked to have been pushed over at a corner. The second half we did not do a lot and ICT were the better team. They also had a shout for a penalty and although it would have been soft it was in the seen it given category. For me a point a piece was a fair outcome. It must have been very difficult playing in that weather as well.

All the best to @Fawlty Towers and @stillresigned hope yous have a quick recovery from your ills and it doesn't impact on your festive celebrations.

Edited by Auld Jag