Thistle v Arbroath 6.1.24

elevenone

Better second half… yes Tommy had a couple of great chances before he scored but maybe a little rusty due to few minutes on the park over the last several weeks. Thought Robinson was much better in the no 10 role than Alston but maybe a threadbare Arbroath were tiring by that point. Fitzy, Lawless, Milne all good and nice to finally have a rare clean sheet. McBeth put in a couple of solid tackles and hopefully we see more of him in the coming fixtures.

Feel sorry for Lyons, for me he should be second choice at least after Robson but ahead of Alston/McInroy in the no 10 role. 

Lots of away games coming up against teams below us in the league, be interesting to see how we perform. 

Thought we were poor first half but Arbroath had such a slow make shift defence that it didn't take much to get through. 

Second half as Arbroath tired we completely dominated. Adeloye scored 2 but should have had 4 in the 20 or so minutes he was on the park. By that stage the Arbroath legs had gone and I suspect at least 1 or 2 of their player got through the last 10 minutes carrying an injury.

Graham was very good first half. Fitzpatrick and Lawless showed flashed of class. Muirhead and Neilson were solid throughout. However MOTM for me was Harry Milne.

Sneddon looked nervy at the few set pieces Arbroath had and frustratingly slow in moving the ball. 

I like the look of McBeth. Very big physical presence almost Osman-like is stature. Given how poor our midifeld was in the first 45 today it must be a temptation to put McBeth in front of the back 4 and play something more like a 4-1-4-1 against Morton

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Fitzy deservedly MotM but Bannigan ran him close 

I was going to say the same. Bannigan was everywhere and covered whenever needed.

I hope that the TJF MotM was put to a democratic vote of the members present and had not been covertly agreed beforehand in a darkened room.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We plodded to lead by a single goal in the first half against a poor Arbroath side. We stepped up a gear and cut through their makeshift defence, playing some good stuff. Neilson, Milne & Fitzpatrick look a class above this level and Banzo was excellent in doing the unglamorous work. Robinson at least showed some energy in the attacking midfield role - I agree with the poster who would like to see Lyon given a chance there in preference to Alston or McEnroy.

It would take a horrendous collapse for us not to make the play-offs.

Enjoyed that. Fitz, Banzo, Harry and Stevie all very good and all the subs did well. Would like to see Tomi get more minutes - he missed a couple of sitters today, but his mobility and overall forward play adds to the team IMO.

Stevie's pass to Fitz for his goal was a corker - it's the sort of attacking variety we've been looking for. They have linked up well in the last couple of games.

Only minor frustration was how we take goal-kicks. Why do we waste time pretending we're going to play out from the back, then reform to play long?

I appreciate that as well as scoring two, Tommy missed a couple of presentable chances, but for a striker to be on the pitch for such a short time and to position himself so as to be in with a strong chance of scoring four times shows good instincts and has to be commendable.

4 Goals, a clean sheet and 3 points, a very good afternoon's work.

Graham took his goal well, getting past the defender, getting the ball before their keeper and putting it in from a tight angle. The second goal made the 3 points safe. Good to see Adeloye get 2 goals, he could have easily had a hat trick. Bannigan had his best game for a while. Will be a very tough game next week against a Morton side on a seven game unbeaten run.

44 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

I was going to say the same. Bannigan was everywhere and covered whenever needed.

I hope that the TJF MotM was put to a democratic vote of the members present and had not been covertly agreed beforehand in a darkened room.

A young lad made the decision

Good result and even more so in the context of results elsewhere.

Despite their limited availability, Arbroath - to their credit - were very well organised and did cause us several problems. For example, we gave away numerous corners and dead balls, situations where we are always vulnerable. 

Thought we lacked creativity in the first half, but after Aidan's goal (outstanding effort) we moved up a gear. Pleased for Tomi, he doesn't get many minutes but generally uses them well.

So, two back-to-back home fixtures against the bottom two which produced zero goals and zero points this time last year, have produced seven goals and six points this year.

All is still to play for!!

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Good result and even more so in the context of results elsewhere.

Despite their limited availability, Arbroath - to their credit - were very well organised and did cause us several problems. For example, we gave away numerous corners and dead balls, situations where we are always vulnerable. 

Thought we lacked creativity in the first half, but after Aidan's goal (outstanding effort) we moved up a gear. Pleased for Tomi, he doesn't get many minutes but generally uses them well.

So, two back-to-back home fixtures against the bottom two which produced zero goals and zero points this time last year, have produced seven goals and six points this year.

All is still to play for!!

Probably saying much the same thing but I thought we were simply lethargic in the first half. For a full time team we looked the side that was off the pace. Second half a complete turn around. 

6 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Fitzy deservedly MotM but Bannigan ran him close 

Possibly those two were standouts but the biggest plus point was that almost everyone pulled their weight today. First half was pretty even but Arbroath were taken apart 2nd half.  So good to see Thistle keep going for more when on top.  Could have easily been 6 by end.

4 hours ago, fenski said:

Enjoyed that. Fitz, Banzo, Harry and Stevie all very good and all the subs did well. Would like to see Tomi get more minutes - he missed a couple of sitters today, but his mobility and overall forward play adds to the team IMO.

Stevie's pass to Fitz for his goal was a corker - it's the sort of attacking variety we've been looking for. They have linked up well in the last couple of games.

Only minor frustration was how we take goal-kicks. Why do we waste time pretending we're going to play out from the back, then reform to play long?

Sneddon does my head in with the ludicrous amount of time he takes over every goal kick and even just to release the ball. But he had a few decent saves today; played well.

They had no answer to Fitzpatrick today, and Lawless also put in a very useful shift.

Nielsen is really starting to look like a class act when he moves forward. Shades of a young Alan Hansen?! 

• Like 2

Pretty even 1st half apart from their the goal which was a defensive mistake. Fitzpatrick had another good chance just before the break but hit it at the keeper. Arbroath played a high press and found plenty gaps in the midfield. Great finish again by Fitzpatrick to give us a buffer and we took control from then on. Couldn’t believe Adeloye missed that first chance. It was as big a howler as Sneddon’s on Tuesday. His 2nd miss wasn’t quite as big a howler. He did well with his other two tap ins, though. Was a bit worried when Williams replaced Muirhead that we would concede. Liked the look of McBeth when he came on. He got involved and wasn’t afraid to put in a tackle. Fitzpatrick,Bannigan and Neilson were the standouts for me and Stevie didn’t fade as much in the second half.

11 minutes ago, Kingleo said:

Is it just me or is there a player in Adeloye? Given decent game time feels like he could score a bundle

I think there is a player there.  Looks capable of misses and goals as evidenced yesterday but given some game time rather than late sub appearances I feel we could see more.  Could be worth the odd shout of giving him a start then using Graham as sub as he will stretch and tire defences then BG can take over and hopefully take advantage of that.

54 minutes ago, Kingleo said:

Is it just me or is there a player in Adeloye? Given decent game time feels like he could score a bundle

Me and my son agree. Like the way he covers the pitch - must be hard work to defend against. He also combine well with Robinson.

40 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I’ve been critical of him and he didn’t have that much to do in the game but at 1-0 Sneddon produced a valuable save.  Had taken a deflection from one of our players that could have went anywhere but Jamie provided an important save

Agreed. That was a nasty one. Jamie did well to get his body behind it and shovel it away to the side of the goal, and he even got there first to fall on the ball. Would have been easy to pop it back in front of goal for a striker to follow it in.

• Like 1