PTFC v The Loch Inverness Monster

In a sort of perverse way making such heavy weather of the win highlighted just how well organised our back line was. No way the back four should've had so much work to do later on but at least there's one area where we've improved no end. I just can't understand why our more advanced players lose possession so regularly. We're constantly desperately hanging onto a lead when we should be seeing games out with much more ease. 

From BBC

Inverness Caledonian Thistle head coach Duncan Ferguson: "I'm not sure if it's inside the box or it's not inside the box, but it's absolutely a free-kick. 

"It's an easy decision and then they counter attack and that's it, they score from there. It should have been a penalty if it was inside the box, or it's a free-kick on the edge of the box, and then [the referee] compounds the problem by then saying to Cammy Kerr that he's simulated the first yellow card. It's a clear free-kick."

38 clearly fell over looking for a free kick, Kerr’s was a blatant dive.

I reckon the pitch had a lot to do with the attacking wing play being poor, and particularly Aidan Fitzpatrick in the second half. He'd had a difficult day anyway, but the pitch in front of the Jackie Husband stand at the city end was like a bog. When he went for the corner flag I just don't think he had the energy to find another way out.

3 hours ago, King Kenny said:

Why does every team in the league look so much sharper and fitter than us?

Too many miles off it today. Im like a broken record with Fitzpatrick but he’s going to waste his talent with his attitude, shocking today. 

Stanway breaks up play now and again but his passing and ball retention needs some serious improvement.

Would like to hear Doolan’s thoughts about going to a back 5 against 10 men and as mentioned, running the ball to the corner with twenty minutes to go.

A win and clean sheet are the positives but a dreadful performance. 

Not sure what was going through Fitzy’s head today , terrible attitude, take on board the state of the pitch but he should look at his team mates BG, Robinson, Lawless etc to see the work they put in 

Fitzy is undoubtedly a talent but never going to go to the next level unless he addresses fitness levels and work ethic 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, allyo said:

I reckon the pitch had a lot to do with the attacking wing play being poor, and particularly Aidan Fitzpatrick in the second half. He'd had a difficult day anyway, but the pitch in front of the Jackie Husband stand at the city end was like a bog. When he went for the corner flag I just don't think he had the energy to find another way out.

A 23yr old footballer should be able to play 90 mins , taking the ball to the corner flag with 15 mins to go was a nonsense 

• Like 1

Thought fitzy was poor today, but the problem is we are too reliant on him having a good day. When he did go off we had zero attacking threat. I was critical of the team today, but the bigger picture is we have won three in a row and shored up the defence. Just need to get our midfield sorted. 

The good news today is that at the rate that the teams below us are scoring points this season, about 1.3 points in average per game, none of them are reaching our current total. 

I don't think we have enough points yet for the playoff. But we might have. Another few points should do it though.

Edited by allyo

But 2 tough away games where we usually struggle. Any points away will be a bonus but home wins v Airdrie & Ayr should hopefully be enough for third. 

It’s a very poor league this season and I reckon Raith will finish 2nd but nothing to fear if we manage to meet them in a play off despite this season results so far against them.

Ineptitude characterized most of the Thistle players. Basic ball control, passing, closing down, crossing (Fitzpatrick balloons his crosses over everybody's head every week!), it was awful, dreadful stuff to watch. Incapable of keeping possession of the ball against 10 men, yet all too willing to hit horizontal and backwards passes to each in other in our half for minutes on end before their red card. Neilsen had an absolute nightmare of a match. Great shot by Stanway and follow-up by Robinson for the goal, and Mitchell didn't do anything wrong throughout. 

But it was truly dire stuff to watch,

which makes it a great win!😀

ETA: For me, Lawal of ICT was easily the best player on the park. Would like to see him in our squad.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Macbeth was man of the match by a mile. He won everything in the air,every tackle and looked for a pass. Muirhead, Milne and Mitchell were good.

Couldn’t believe the Stanway substitution, he was playing well at that stage.

Milne as usual put in 100% but his left wing partner was an absolute disgrace. His attitude and effort was pathetic. Milne should kick his arse all the way to Dunfermline. He’s a fabulous talent and a match winner but the team can’t afford a non trier.

Perhaps BBG could use some ‘gentle’ persuasion.

13 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

...Remember to put your clocks 1 hour forward tonight (assuming you are in the UK).

Don't worry: practically everywhere the world over has accepted the whimsical Lloyd George solution to saving daylight time in the extreme south-east of England, and committed to the groupthink of clock changes.

We were poor yesterday. I am inclined to cut them a bit of slack. For the past 5 or 6 games we have had 5 or 6 injuries and yesterday there were at least 7 players out - that’s 1/3 of the squad. Fitzpatrick is getting a lot of stick here, but he at least created a couple of chances. Stevie did nothing. But again I am not surprised because McMillan looks like he is running on fumes. Big problem for us if we have suspensions on top of the injuries. Plus the pitch is a mess. That needs sorted. How much is a hybrid pitch ?

• Like 1

I thought collectively we were dreadful today

Fitzpatrick had a stinker but he also did well to fashion two chances and was unlucky not to score. Even when he's not at it he often looks the most likely to do anything and we are very reliant on him. It's also a complete failing of the squad building that there is not one sufficient back up to him or Lawless (who was invisible for most of the game) and we are relying on them too much.

10 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

Dools on Jagszone saying hoping to have O ' Riley back for the Dunfermline game,   when did he ever play for us???????? 

Maybe more latitude for centrebacks but O'Reiily has only just resumed training. Besides the current centreback pairing has been very good over the last two games. Be good tho' to have a genuine centreback on the bench, so as not having to juggle the team round if McBeth or Muirhead have to go off.

Kinda go along with Lenziejag re Fitzpatrick. He was rather isolated yesterday as Milne seemed reluctant to get forward. Assume Harry was given additional defensive duties.

Also after the red card I didn't understand why we had ten outfield players defending free kicks and corners. Stick Aiden or Wee Stevie upfield to take two of ICT out their attack and we're defending 10 men to 7. 

3 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

Couldn’t believe the Stanway substitution, he was playing well at that stage

Incredible change in Stanway yesterday after he setup the goal with his shot from 25 yards. Up to that point, he had been as poor as the 1st game vs Arbroath. Maybe he is a confidence player but the positive is that one bit of good play changes his mindset.

We've played well in a lot of games and gone away with nothing. Good to see we can grind out results with clean sheets cause thats whats needed this end of the season. Mitchell and McBeth seem to be important changes that have strengthened our dodgy defence. Hopefully we get a bit of that attacking flair back going into the playoffs

• Like 1

Game aside, I thought Beaton reffed that game pretty well.

It is good to get an experienced referee rather than sone of the lower ranked mediators we've had to put up with.

I'm sure we want to win in style and for it to be an enjoyable watch but it's been a pretty good March.

3 wins from 3 (with one goal conceded), 2 draws (one away after being 2-0 down and one against the League leaders), and an unfortunate loss against Raith, after dominating the game.

If it wasn't for our results in February, we'd be pushing for automatic promotion.

Finish 3rd and we have a real chance of reaching the play-off final, where as we know, anything can happen.

Revenge would be oh so sweet.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

In a sort of perverse way making such heavy weather of the win highlighted just how well organised our back line was. No way the back four should've had so much work to do later on but at least there's one area where we've improved no end. I just can't understand why our more advanced players lose possession so regularly. We're constantly desperately hanging onto a lead when we should be seeing games out with much more ease. 

I think it’s a mentality thing that seeps through the whole team . When we are level or behind in a game we are looking to go forward and score and ( sometimes ) look a decent team .

When we go in front the whole focus changes to not losing a goal . We sit deeper and deeper , do not retain the ball , don’t attempt to build sustained pressure .

This is something that needs a change of emphasis / attitude , and that needs to come from the manager .

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Not sure what was going through Fitzy’s head today , terrible attitude, take on board the state of the pitch but he should look at his team mates BG, Robinson, Lawless etc to see the work they put in 

Fitzy is undoubtedly a talent but never going to go to the next level unless he addresses fitness levels and work ethic 

I reckon coaches will have been telling him to improve his work ethic , fitness and attitude since he was about 13 . You either have the desire or you don’t and he doesn’t .

• Like 1