St Johnstone 23/02/16

Lindau

Do you think the Archie doubters will add to this forum any time soon?

Archie got a nice wee song from the North End tonight.

Two of the three subs scored which if course makes him a tactical genius....

Oh Archie Archie you are the love of my life.........

Edited by Aberdeenjag

St Johnstone played for a draw, really niggly team. Once Doolan scored and they had to attack we picked them off at ease.

Elliot was Motm by a mile, what a shift he put in. Fast, direct and all over the pitch, couldn't have asked for more.

Nesbitt looks a find, very direct and looks to have confidence in his ability.

Big Pogba needs to work on his touch, far too many times it was poor.

Doolan, what a finish.

Brilliant 3 points, only way is up

• Like 1

St Johnstone played for a draw, really niggly team. Once Doolan scored and they had to attack we picked them off at ease.

Elliot was Motm by a mile, what a shift he put in. Fast, direct and all over the pitch, couldn't have asked for more.

Doolan, what a finish.

Brilliant 3 points, only way is up

Just In. - how good was that???

Great team performance, once again shocking ref. St J got what they deserved- absolutely nothing!

Moaned at every decision, kept falling all over the place.

Nesbitt had great debut and Pogba had good game too-finally getting 100% fit?

Well done again Jags (even had a comfy seat!!)

Onwards and upwards!

Might have a wee goldie to celebrate and to ease the throat after shouting at Beaton!!

• Like 2

Doolan, what a finish.

Brilliant 3 points, only way is up ������

Agree with most of that but perhaps a bit over harsh on Pogs. He put in a shift and personally I thought he had a good game. Christie Elliot is like a new signing and the defence looks so solid with a great goalie and back 4. Thought Gary Miller had a great game and it won't be easy to drop him once Muzzy is fit again. Young Aiden proved tonight if you are good enough, age doesn't matter. If he keeps his feet on the ground, Celtic have some player on their hands once he gets a bit of experience. That was a vital victory and another one on Saturday might see us in the top 6. Not a time to get carried away though as we are still only 3 points off the play off, but a great way to kick off again after our lay off! As for Beaton.....dear God gimme strength!! Absolutely abysmal.

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 1

Superb win, great team performance, all starting 11 plus obviously match winners off the bench.

Elliot man of the match by a mile, bannigan great work rate and used the ball well, young Nesbitt looks classy, not afraid to try things, hope archie keeps the same attacking team for fir park.

Lot of people round me getting on pogbas back, yeh at times hes frustrating, but he holds it up well, tires their defenders out and roughs them up, lay off the big man theres a player in there im sure of it.

Agree with most of that but perhaps a bit over harsh on Pogs. He put in a shift and personally I thought he had a good game. Christie Elliot is like a new signing and the defence looks so solid with a great goalie and back 4. Thought Gary Miller had a great game and it won't be easy to drop him once Muzzy is fit again. Young Aiden proved tonight if you are good enough, age doesn't matter. If he keeps his feet on the ground, Celtic have some player on their hands once he gets a bit of experience. That was a vital victory and another one on Saturday might see us in the top 6. Not a time to get carried away though as we are still only 3 points off the play off, but a great way to kick off again after our lay off! As for Beaton.....dear God gimme strength!! Absolutely abysmal.

Dundee play Inverness on Saturday so we can't be in the top 6. Great chance to move upto 7th and be right on the tails of 6th.

• Like 1

Very pleasing performance- no real 'failures' in the side apart from Pogba, according to a guy behind me. Personally, it's horses for courses and I don't think tonight that the big man got much change against St Johnstone experienced central defenders. On the plus side was very impressed with Nisbett on his debut, you can see why he's so highly rated at Celtic Park-another astute move from our manger. The latter was only outdone by Christy Elliot who seems do have found a degree of composure to add to his pace and effort:deservedly in my view winning the MotM tonight. Elsewhere what can I say about my own personal favorite Doolan, what can you say but Dools is the man! I also thought Brannigan and Osman both were extremely good, in particular I thought Brannigan was a stand out in midfield. I think,the absence of Welsh might have made a positive difference in the midfield (?).

St Johnstone were basically awful, being over physical and niggly throughout and without being rude they virtually added nothing to the game as a spectacle, seemingly content to play for a point.

Overall a great return to football for the Jags and long may it continue.

Edited by stillresigned

Good performance all round. It was a pretty even 1st half. We maybe just shaded it. Nesbit started a bit nervously, I thought, but grew in confidence as the game went on. He isn't afraid to get involved. He looks a decent addition. Elliot, as others have said, was all over the pitch. For me, he lacks a bit of guile to find a pass - but he has loads of energy and his pace is a huge plus. He reminds me a lot of Izaac English. 2nd half we were much better and more direct. Doolan took advantage of a defensive mix up and Amoo ran half the length of the pitch to seal it.

I was very grumpy after the cup game because we never showed what we can do.

Delighted to see pog,Stevie and aiden all starting though it took a while to get going. After about 30 mins we just took over. I think Archie had a word with Banzo at ht and told him that he was the best player on the park and to dominate. He was brilliantly backed up by Christie and boothy and we destroyed them 2nd half. Banzo had that wee look on his face.

Well done Archie for getting it spot on tonight.

Btw. How good is booth?

I assume at was nesbitt's 1st start in senior football and he does look like someone who can be very very good. And Archie will make the most of it. Honourable mentions for seaborne and wee Stevie who played some great stuff with booth 2nd half.

And their no 3 was rank rotten!

Well chuffed with that performance tonight, dont remember them having a real chance. We look really solid at the back, i don't want to get too caried away but i think we should be aiming for top 6. If we could get that top 6 finish that could possibly be the difference in Osman staying.

Yet again Dools absolute legend never seems to get the credit he deserves. Bring on saturday another performance like that 2nd half and we will take the points.

A deserved and very welcome 3 points - appropriate with the giveaway that it gives us a good cushion against finishing in the play off spot.

We sparked into life a few times but it wasn't a great performance or game. The playing surface is probably better than this time last season but it is slow and heavy which isn't ideal for quick passing football. The combination of this, a rather petty ref and St Johnstone being a functional but dull outfit didn't make it a thriller.

After a bright start to the second half, the game looked to be heading for 0-0. Pogba has little game-awareness - Dools immediately showed positional sense, pace & determination and then a fine finish with his first involvement in the match. He and Lawless also made great runs to give Amoo space to score another good goal.

Nesbitt looked lively and Bannigan is such a clever and effective player - he will be badly missed if he is not with us next year.

I'm not convinced we are better than we were in the two previous seasons...but I'm also not sure there are 6 teams in the League who are better than us this season.

• Like 1

Raging I couldn't make it tonight. Had to take son nr 2 to cubs and sat oustide the scout hut looking at my ST and clicking 'refresh now' on my phone for the commentary. My buddy, who went without me (*******), kept sending me texts telling me how good the 2nd half was. A great win- now can't wait for Motherwell on Saturday. Brilliant,Jags.

Took control of the game after the break. Very pleasing to watch. Can't add anything to what has been said about the players tonight.

Archie is a tenacious, inspired legend. So proud that forum members have given him so much backing this season.

Shame that folk in 102 countries can now laugh at the standard of our referees.

As others have said , no failures in the team tonight with a couple of excellent performances thrown in. Thought Sebo was terrific at the back with Freddie , Abdul solid as a rock and great work rate from MoM Elliot and Lawless. Pogba has taken a bit of stick but the guy gives 100% and does give us a more physical presence up front.

We seem to have gone from having no options for attacking midfield to about six now with Gary F and Toni German to come into contention.

Two cracking goals , Amoo must have run about 60 yards before belting it in. Big, big result for us tonight. Well done to the manager and team.

Great result although thought the Sainties weren't up to much. Agree with Christie for MOTM but Seabourne ran him close. Defence looked solid and the whole team put in a shift. Liked the positive team selection. The bench was pretty strong and gave Archie options he hasn't had recently. Dools is already a legend but he seems to be even better when he is left out and either comes on or starts the next game.

That was something quite special tonight - apart from anything else, it's the first time we've beaten St Johnstone 3 times in a row since 1967. But football as entertainment: to be honest the games against Inverness, United and Motherwell gave been grim. Tonight we recovered our swagger - particularly down to Booth, Nesbitt and Doolan. I'd also like to give special mentions to Cerny and Seabo - how many clean sheets is that? It's a strange game when Banzo isn't the best player on the pitch, but tonight he was an integral part of the machine. Were we to get a European place would he stay and become part of the great Thistle experiment that we are seeing unfolding before us?