Scotland V Slovakia

Lambies Lost Doo

You do realise that for virtually the whole of period these guys were being nurtured at Almondvale Livingston were trading in the red? They went into administration not once but twice.

Fair point LIB, although even for a club run in the red they produced far better players than a number of massively bigger clubs run much more in the red!

WGS made an arse of that tonight. We had no midfield for the whole of the second half . I said after the slovakia game I thought he was too late with the subs but tonight was a joke.

Tactics , formation and team selection were all wrong. Yes hes got sh1te to work with but he'snot helped. Dont know if he should go or not but he's made alot of mistakes

There is talent in our league but he never plays them.

Go back to England, Gordon and take all the never has beens with you.

With a new manager we would never see Bannan, Phillips, Anya or either Fletcher, and probably several other non entities ever again. These players have been complete failures at international level.

Came out for the second half and tried to defend a one goal lead and that was never going to work. Should have been going for a second goal that would have killed the game. A must win game and the manager/team bottled it.

Why he didn't play McGinn or McGregor ahead of the likes of Bannan or Fletcher is beyond me.

Time to go Gordon.

Fair point LIB, although even for a club run in the red they produced far better players than a number of massively bigger clubs run much more in the red!

Livingston FC were a complete embarrassment of a club then, probably still are. If you're making the point that they were more successful than some other clubs run on similar lines, eg Dundee or Gretna, then I'm not going to argue. One thing for certain they didn't "produce" the players you mentioned. Albeit a generalisation but they cherry picked them using financial resources for the most part they never had.

• Like 1

Why do they call it Stv?? showing England's game tonight!

This issue was highlighted on the radio tonight. By all accounts the sfa sold the rights to allow it to be shown here. I was listening to mark burchill who was speaking about the seminar he attended which was addressed by a leading Belgium footballing guy.

He explained that years back the Belgium international team were not doing to well , similar to Scotland. They decided to take drastic action from the grassroots and change their whole set-up. The dutch are now using a similar model.

This brings me to asking. What the feck is the SFA doing. Our system needs ripped up from the roots to the top of the tree. The SFA have totally mis-managed Scottish football and our failure to qualify comes as no surprise

Edited by mulguy jag

There is talent in our league but he never plays them. Go back to England, Gordon and take all the never has beens with you. With a new manager we would never see Bannan, Phillips, Anya or either Fletcher, and probably several other non entities ever again. These players have been complete failures at international level.

That's a bit tough on Anya who has performed rather better than the others you mention. Given that he is not playing much club football just now, could he help to solve Thistle's fullback crisis?

This issue was highlighted on the radio tonight. By all accounts the sfa sold the rights to allow it to be shown here. I was listening to mark burchill who was speaking about the seminar he attended which was addressed by a leading Belgium footballing guy.

He explained that years back the Belgium international team were not doing to well , similar to Scotland. They decided to take drastic action from the grassroots and change their whole set-up. The dutch are now using a similar model.

This brings me to asking. What the feck is the SFA doing. Our system needs ripped up from the roots to the top of the tree. The SFA have totally mis-managed Scottish football and our failure to qualify comes as no surprise

Whatever system they changed to isn't foolproof. Although it is working for Belgium, it obviously isn't yet for Holland.

From a high on Thursday where I was bouncing into work the next day to the low yesterday and today where I felt like lying down in Central Station and not getting up. I could still be there with commuters stepping over me. There were couple guys in tears in the pub (which made me feel better).

Football is a wonderful, horrible, magical, tragic game.

What the feck is the SFA doing. Our system needs ripped up from the roots to the top of the tree. The SFA have totally mis-managed Scottish football and our failure to qualify comes as no surprise

Still waiting for the results of Ernie Walker's think tank, I hear.

Anyway our manager is now blaming genetics for our continued failure to qualify for the finals of major tournaments. That's the same 5 foot plus manager who played in two World Cups and played a part in our qualifying for the Euros. Strange that on various trips to Northern Ireland, the Republic and Wales I haven't ever noticed the "big people".

Oh, and if genetics is the problem then I hear the centreback at Burnley bucks the trend, being well over 6ft. He's also left sided, which seems to be a prerequisite if you want to play in our national back four.

Still waiting for the results of Ernie Walker's think tank, I hear.

Anyway our manager is now blaming genetics for our continued failure to qualify for the finals of major tournaments. That's the same 5 foot plus manager who played in two World Cups and played a part in our qualifying for the Euros. Strange that on various trips to Northern Ireland, the Republic and Wales I haven't ever noticed the "big people".

Oh, and if genetics is the problem then I hear the centreback at Burnley bucks the trend, being well over 6ft. He's also left sided, which seems to be a prerequisite if you want to play in our national back four.

Yes lib, I cringed while listening to his press interview after the match. He also commented , that Scotland were the smallest team in the last campaign apart from spain.

I think the Spanish midgets blew his genetic guff right out the window.

• Like 1

Livingston FC were a complete embarrassment of a club then, probably still are. If you're making the point that they were more successful than some other clubs run on similar lines, eg Dundee or Gretna, then I'm not going to argue. One thing for certain they didn't "produce" the players you mentioned. Albeit a generalisation but they cherry picked them using financial resources for the most part they never had.

Can't disagree with any of that to be fair, I was thinking that they produced more players than Rangers and Hearts with a much smaller loss. But the point about them buying success still stands, although I suppose they gave their young talent a chance unlike Dundee and Gretna

Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland both make the play-offs both smaller countries than us, both with lower ranked leagues than ours, both have qualified for tournaments in last 10 years, then there’s Iceland

There is something wrong with our whole set-up, and largs breeds it, every manager/coach learns the same tactics.

We have a set-up to benefit Rangers & Celtic to the detriment of 40 other clubs and the national team, the SFA are compliant and encouraging in this, the whole thing needs scrubbed and started again

• Like 5

There is something wrong with our whole set-up, and largs breeds it, every manager/coach learns the same tactics.

We have a set-up to benefit Rangers & Celtic to the detriment of 40 other clubs and the national team, the SFA are compliant and encouraging in this, the whole thing needs scrubbed and started again

Would be grand if we could have a complete overhaul but that requires everyone singing from the same hymn sheet. That's not going to happen if the very people who you'd expect to initiate an overhaul are the very same people that are widely held in contempt. A benign dictatorship arguably just might get the ball rolling, a corrupt one won't bother.

Sad tho' the state of our football is I'd suggest getting rid of the clowns that run our game should be a higher priority than addressing the international set up. In truth I doubt that much can be done about the latter anyway without first attending to the former.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland both make the play-offs both smaller countries than us, both with lower ranked leagues than ours, both have qualified for tournaments in last 10 years

Are the genetics of The Republic and Northern Ireland significantly different from the Scots ?

Edited by Dick Dastardly

If WGS is sacked, or falls on his sword, is there a better option out there?

Just being realistic, I know he's made a bit of an arse of things on the pitch at times, and then the embarrassing 'genetics' comment; and if there was a great alternative manager out there being blocked by Strachan's insistence on staying on, then I'd be screaming for his sacking.

Surely the real problems behind our decline as a footballing nation are deeply structural, as mentioned quite a bit, above, and getting a 'new face' in is just a cosmetic fix. I just see Strachan as the least worst option. But I'm genuinely worried things could get far worse.

Aaaaaargh. Hating this situation.

Can anyone mind Strachan being spotted at a Scottish game that didn't involve Celtic? No doubt he's attended the odd match but a Scottish manager being seen at a Scottish club game should be a routine occurrence. Even if there's little prospective talent on show he still should be at these matches for comparison purposes alone.

I've a suspicion that Strachan is lazy and/or treats his duties too lightly. Another manager is more likely to take the job more seriously. Also selecting that egotistical buffoon as a sidekick doesn't exactly inspire confidence in Strachan's judgment.

As to who should replace him I agree it's tricky. I suggest someone that's had to operate on a relative shoestring budget is a better prospect than a manager who's major successes have been achieved with the help of a chequebook. Emphasis should be on coaching talent rather than man-management ability. Not saying the latter's not important but I'm more interested in hearing of players who want to play for their country than play for this or that manager.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 2