Thistle v ICT

javeajag

Just wanted to pay tribute to Kevin Holt's strike last night. It looked good at the time seen from afar in the John Lambie Stand, but every time I replay it (around 10 times so far), the goal gets better. So easy to mishit or balloon it over the bar or to find the ball hitting off your standing leg or to take a touch to control and be instantly closed down and blocked.

With very little time to think, his foot was moving into the right position before the ball came to him and he curled his foot round it and drove it low, hard and true, with the natural spin of the ball imparting extra pace and moving it away from the goalkeeper, who had absolutely no chance.

Kevin Holt......always believing!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fearchar said:

My sons and I all thought he was a dud - missed two chances and created none. Jakubiak was much more effective when he came on.

Its all about opinions but Alegria looks a real player to me.

His first touch for the one he lobbed over the bar was really good. No way does Rudden control that ball. Just a shame he couldn't finish. The second one is far more difficult to get on target and to hit the post was really unlucky. Thats not to say Jakubiak is bad player he's just a different player to Alegria. What is also worth a watch is Alegria's movement for McKenna cross that ICT almost scored an own goal with. If you watch the highlights Graham goes to the far post but Alegria holds his run and is standing free on the penalty spot waiting for a cutback in acres of space.  To my mind once Alegria gets a goal under his belt he could well kick on.

First half ICT's defence were really worried by any ball in behind them as they new Alegria had them for pace and power. Murray was finding the gap between ICT midfield and defence to lay passes into McKenna, Graham and Alegria. Every time Docherty, Bannigan, Foster or Crawford got the ball the first thought was to go over the top to Alegria and it worked well because it made the best of the playing surface.

At half time ICT adjusted. They played Welsh slightly deeper to deny Murray possession and also got their back 4 to play a slight deeper line. With Murray not getting on the ball and no space behind it meant we had to adjust as there was no outball for our midfield or defence. When Jakubiak and Smith came on we went from playing a 4-1-2-1-2 to playing something more like a 4-1-2-2-1. Welsh couldn't mark both Jakubiak and Smith so we started to get more possession but further away from goal which suited both as they had space to run into.

Jakubiak plays like a number 10 and is arguably better at running with the ball at his feet than Smith but I don't think he will score many as he just doesn't get in the box enough.

What is good to see if we have now developed a style of play that fits the playing surface and an in game variation in tactics that will stretch the opposition that isn't completely reliant on Tiffoney. If we can pick up enough points when Tiffoney is out with this approach there are reasons for optimism  when he returns.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, madcapmilkdrinker said:

On an unrelated note, I’m watching my little team, Leicester, playing and their pitch seems to be covered in all this weird green stuff. Anyone know what it is? :hijack:

I’m up at Forres Mechanics today and the pitch looks lush, just a few weeks after it was sodden

1 hour ago, partickthedog said:

Just wanted to pay tribute to Kevin Holt's strike last night. It looked good at the time seen from afar in the John Lambie Stand, but every time I replay it (around 10 times so far), the goal gets better. So easy to mishit or balloon it over the bar or to find the ball hitting off your standing leg or to take a touch to control and be instantly closed down and blocked.

With very little time to think, his foot was moving into the right position before the ball came to him and he curled his foot round it and drove it low, hard and true, with the natural spin of the ball imparting extra pace and moving it away from the goalkeeper, who had absolutely no chance.

Kevin Holt......always believing!

A big part in the goal was the way Jakubiak got in front of the keeper then was smart & quick thinking enough to let the ball go through his legs. Can be seen clearly from behind the goal camera. It would have been easy for him to block the shot

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Just looked at our recent form. Our last 6 wins, cup and league, have all been 1-0. Talk about being put through the wringer!

Last 7 home games i have worn the balaclava including last night. Every game finished 1-0, 5 victories and 2 defeats, the power of the :ph34r:.:fan:

• Like 1

Mixed results for us today (and of course last night). Arbroath and Kilmarnock forge further ahead. Raith and Inverness fall further behind.

Will not be clear until "the stagger unwinds", but we could become somewhat high and dry in 3rd place. We should not be losing that, but equally clawing ourselves further up the table needs either or both of a run of mainly wins from us and a dip in results for Arbroath or Kilmarnock.

2 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Mixed results for us today (and of course last night). Arbroath and Kilmarnock forge further ahead. Raith and Inverness fall further behind.

Will not be clear until "the stagger unwinds", but we could become somewhat high and dry in 3rd place. We should not be losing that, but equally clawing ourselves further up the table needs either or both of a run of mainly wins from us and a dip in results for Arbroath or Kilmarnock.

All big weeks, but this one looks massive.

A win on Tuesday and could be really interesting by next weekend.

Ayr playing Killie having just scored 4 v Raith today and Arbroath away to Cally Thistle.

Big if, but if we can get two wins in the coming week, we'll be right in with a shout.

13 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Or for us to beat Killie and Arbroath when we next play them, maybe. But still loads of games to go.

On 3/5/2022 at 2:56 PM, jaggy said:

A big part in the goal was the way Jakubiak got in front of the keeper then was smart & quick thinking enough to let the ball go through his legs. Can be seen clearly from behind the goal camera. It would have been easy for him to block the shot

Agree Jakubiak was very clever with his positioning and decision but I also thought Docherty's dummy was also critical!!

• Haha 1

On 3/5/2022 at 5:48 PM, partickthedog said:

I agree with the above.

Although ICT and Raith are still in contention for a play-off place I think that,  barring a complete implosion by Arbroath and Killie, they are now  both out of the title race.

The Jags though are walking a tight rope. Win our games in hand and we will be at worst 2 points adrift of Killie and 3 behind Arbroath. We also have to play them Killie (away) Arbroath (home) and match or better their other results for the scheduled weekend games. However if we lose either of our games in hand then that will end our title hopes.

There is no doubt we are entering the crunch part of the season but I hope we can draw on last season when we went on a great run in the second half of the season and do this again in the remaining games albeit in a higher league etc.

• Like 1

Just checked the odds. Killie 4/5 favourites. Arbroath 9/4. Us 6/1. ICT 25/1. I seem to remember we were 6/1 last year before Falkirk imploded. As exiled jag said above we are walking a tightrope. Basically can't afford any slip ups in last 10 games. A big ask.