Summer comings and goings

Jaggernaut

I think it is important to say that being able to get these players in before the league starts has been in no small measure due to the commitment of fans getting their season tickets in such good numbers. Hopefully between now and the start of next week we see the total going passed the 3000 mark which might help the manager add another player (or two) to the squad.

https://ptfc.co.uk/season-tickets/

• Like 2

Being skint we were always going to have to use the loan market well and you would have to say the 3 we have brought in on loan so far all look very good acquisitions on paper at least. The 2 loan signings today for me are very positive ones. Doolan proving he is no mug in the window either so far with some great extensions and (hopefully) some very decent new signings. I think one more centre back, a utility defender who can play left back or defensive midfield. A lee hodson type if you will and a winger to cover lawless and fitzy. That should be us just about good to go. 

If Mulgrew is cheap enough and is clear on what his role is then I don't think he would be a bad signing for us. Broadfoot and Ambrose have shown that quality and experience can compensate for age at this level.

Mulgrew being left sided, able to play centre half and left back would complete the defensive needs. 

However the bonus ball may be that he was a very good defensive midfielder for Celtic and Scotland. If he's still got the legs to play that role he might just be a very good signing.

I think the problems at Dundee United were more deep seated than just Charlie Mulgrew. 

29 minutes ago, sandy said:

In other news, The Courier reports we are one of 3-4 Clubs interested in midfielder Shaun Byrne from Dundee. 

Sandy

Not knocking Shaun Byrne but I fear the operative word in your posting might well be "midfielder" - there's "competition for places" there already and perhaps it might be more beneficial for the balance of the squad if, as others have said, a winger or a left-sided centre back were pursued, if available/affordable.

Edited by JeanieD

35 minutes ago, sandy said:

In other news, The Courier reports we are one of 3-4 Clubs interested in midfielder Shaun Byrne from Dundee. 

Gotta feeling Byrne was a player perhaps we expressed interest in. He's a non creative defensive midfielder who'd do the ball winning donkey work. Possibly a fall back player if either Alston or McInroy failed to materialise.

Dools must believe that within the central midfield we'll have enough dig as it is.  Kinda suggests tho' we'll play our customary 4-2-3-1 as often as not.

11 hours ago, laukat said:

If Mulgrew is cheap enough and is clear on what his role is then I don't think he would be a bad signing for us. Broadfoot and Ambrose have shown that quality and experience can compensate for age at this level.

Mulgrew being left sided, able to play centre half and left back would complete the defensive needs. 

However the bonus ball may be that he was a very good defensive midfielder for Celtic and Scotland. If he's still got the legs to play that role he might just be a very good signing.

I think the problems at Dundee United were more deep seated than just Charlie Mulgrew. 

He was awful last year. Player in his day but I'd rather we signed younger , hungrier players just like doolan has been doing to date. 

• Like 1

Doolan is interested in Mulgrew. Seems he is after an experience defender plus another attacking player.

Asked about Mulgrew, Doolan said: “I rate Charlie highly and I think half the county rates Charlie highly.

“I think there are a few teams looking at him and I think it is an area we still need to look at.