Ross County in the Cup

7 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

Statistically, you are correct Jagfox. Since joining the SFL in 1893/94 Thistle have beaten teams in a (then) higher division just 7 times.

·        1899/00 St Bernard’s (Div 1). Thistle in Div 2.

·        1982/83 Kilmarnock, eventually! (Prem Div). Thistle in 1st Division.

·        1988/89 St Mirren after a replay (Prem Div). Thistle in 1st Division.

·        1999/00 Livingston (Div 1). Thistle in 2nd Division.

·        2000/01 Dundee after a replay (Prem Div). Thistle in 1st Division.

·        2005/06 Inverness CT after a replay, ET and penalties (Prem Div). Thistle in 2nd Division.

·        2023/24 Ross County (premiership). Thistle in Championship.

Remember of course that between 1902/03 and 1969/70 Thistle spent 61 consecutive seasons in the top flight so beating a team in a higher league was impossible. Keep a look out for more on this in the Stats Watch in The Thistle Archive later today.

So we have never done it twice in one season. An opportunity to make history!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

What are the chances of all the 7 non-premier league teams avoiding each other ?

In Scotland 100%. Double that with the ugly sisters avoiding each other too!

Edited by fifexile

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

What are the chances of all the 7 non-premier league teams avoiding each other ?

49 minutes ago, fifexile said:

In Scotland 100%. Double that with the ugly sisters avoiding each other too!

It's a trick they managed to pull off in a recent League Cup draw, I think it was.

I had to check the rules and see if the teams were seeded.

Having said that, I'm happy with our home draw and a team we can beat.

7 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

In a totally random draw I reckon the odds against must be exceedingly high. However -

"Now Christian this is how it'll work. Ye've got 16 baws - 9 hoat and 7 cauld. Aw ye need tae remember is if a hoat wan comes oot first, the next wan's goat tae be cauld. The other way roon's awright. Jist make sure ye don't dae 2 hoat or 2 cauld the gither. Come the end ye'll hiv 2 hoat fur the last gemme. Goat it? Noo we'll hae a few rehearsals jist tae make sure afore we turn oan the camera."

Edited by QXBoy
Minor error
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, QXBoy said:

In a totally random draw I reckon the odds against must be exceedingly high. However -

"Now Christian this is how it'll work. Ye've got 16 baws - 9 hoat and 7 cauld. Aw ye need tae remember is if a hoat wan comes oot first, the next wan's goat tae be cauld. The other way roon's awright. Jist make sure ye don't dae 2 hoat or 2 cauld the gither. Come the end ye'll hiv 2 hoat fur the last gemme. Goat it? Noo we'll hae a few rehearsals jist tae make sure afore we turn oan the camera."

For that reason, the team names should be in identical waterproof containers and submerged in a tank of ice-cold water, in which the guest dupe chooser must leave his or her hand for 5 minutes before starting the draw.

Edited by Jaggernaut

10 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

Winnable tie and a big financial incentive… if I’m reading the table correctly an incremental £55k fee plus £24k tv money = £79k for getting through 

I was reading the table as only the teams selected for the tv games get the tv money. 

5 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I was reading the table as only the teams selected for the tv games get the tv money. 

LJ is correct. Table info states tv money for teams involved in games chosen, with both teams receiving a payment.

Even so, big increase from the previous round in exit payment.  Needless to say I'm looking forward to the Jags progressing in the tournament. 

20 hours ago, elevenone said:

I mind Rangers neds stealing our flags then burning them, we should not be sinking to that level.  Hopefully they get drum back as listening to it is gonna be more entertaining than watching them under Adams this season.

I hope they get banned and the Police are involved. Pathetic wee bullies who should be made to pay for a new drum.

Lets id them before too long....this is just NOT Thistle!

Agree - hope they are identified and told to compensate for drum. However, assuming they are young too, I think a lifetime ban would be over the top - maybe banned for rest of season? Young people do stupid things and more often than not, they grow out of it.

1 minute ago, fenski said:

Agree - hope they are identified and told to compensate for drum. However, assuming they are young too, I think a lifetime ban would be over the top - maybe banned for rest of season? Young people do stupid things and more often than not, they grow out of it.

Lifetime ban, with opportunity for parole for reparation, expression of remorse, and good behaviour!

1 hour ago, fenski said:

Absolutely this. Let's not be too draconion here.

6 hours ago, fenski said:

Meet the captain and manager who will explain the behaviour does not help the club. They are you so daft and can learn.

• Like 1