Raith rovers game bring friend for £10

13 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

It sounds like a simple and logical thing to do, but the people we had on the park and the bench are those that are available for him to pick from. He tried something different against Dundee Utd and it was almost successful. Williams got injured. So that trial was aborted. He tried Milne at Centre back vs QP, which didn’t really work, but Adeloye coming on sparked a come back but he got injured. What would you do next ?

Not many options to be sure but plenty of lessons …..

1 recruitment has been poor the idea that doolan knows a player ( presumably based on the fact he was one ) has been shown to be way off the mark…..a complete overhaul of this is required 

2 the squad construction needs a rethink 4 goalkeepers , 8 midfielders is madness ….we have been short in central defence all season

3 coaching….who is doing the defensive coaching …..it’s simply dreadful

4 tactics…..we have been averaging 1.5 goals a game all season but doolan only changed personnel and formation in February 

• Like 1

Out biggest problem is we attack down the wings but we don’t really attack through the middle, so if opponents double mark our wingers we’ve no real alternative. Now we have a few injuries we’re really limited with changes we can make. 

I looked at the subs warming up at ht last night and thought that none of them are game changers that you’d really want to bring on, so at the moment when we do make changes we weaken the team

43 minutes ago, jaggy said:

I think that’s for the latest price increase. North Kelvin and North Woodside are amongst the 6 existing zones that already operate 7 days per week until 10pm. It’s clear on the parking signs in the streets and when you enter the area there are signs saying ‘park in marked bays only’

I did wonder. The Council's twitter have said 6pm to 10pm is only from April but they might have it wrong image.png.c7fa1501e2ee49b676c404298034b4c7.png

1 minute ago, javeajag said:

4 tactics…..we have been averaging 1.5 goals a game all season but doolan only changed personnel and formation in February 

Not sure if this is addressing your point but Doolan tried to get a defensive midfielder during the closed season but couldn't. He dropped back more advanced mids to play alongside Bannigan (in effect to replace Docherty). That as we know never worked out. Even so he still had to persist as he couldn't play Banzo as a ball winning midfielder. In turn that more or less dictated our formation. A line up that depended heavily on Lawless & Fitzpatrick in wide position. 

One option he had was to play Neilson as the defensive mid. Doolan said moving Neilson out of defence wasn't ideal as he was competent at centreback. I'm speculating here but I think bringing in McGinley (a left centreback) may have been primarily to explore the option of moving Neilson forward. Perhaps an interim measure till we signed O'Reilly.  

I imagine most would agree that the two positions we had to fill in January were defensive mid and left sided centreback. In effect McBeth & O'Reilly have now replaced Docherty & Holt. A third position we haven't filled is a back up for Wee Stevie and Fitz. We had of course a poor signing in McDonald for that very purpose. So not having wide cover means either a forced change of formation or playing one of our multitude of spare midfielders out of position.

None of the above is meant as defence of Doolan's management. Just pointing out a few factors. Some mitigating. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, javeajag said:

I think a reason for some of the delay was some defensive improvement in January, during which we conceded 4 goals in 5 games (and two of those where at the very beginning of January in a 3-2 win). This is presumably why O'Reilly wasn't introduced when a soon as he signed. By the time our defense took a catastrophic turn for the worse, O'Reilly was crocked. Then when things were changed (albeit a couple of games later than was ideal) there was some improvement- but then Williams was injured.

4 hours ago, javeajag said:

1 recruitment has been poor the idea that doolan knows a player ( presumably based on the fact he was one ) has been shown to be way off the mark…..a complete overhaul of this is required 

2 the squad construction needs a rethink 4 goalkeepers , 8 midfielders is madness ….we have been short in central defence all season

I don’t have much to argue against this. Although, I would say it is a while since we have had a really balanced squad. Last season it wasn’t until Doolan came in that we started getting shut outs. Regarding point 4, I’ve said it before he changed something that he had already fixed. Between October and end Jan we conceded only 16 goals in 13 games. So, why did he change it ?

4 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

It sounds like a simple and logical thing to do, but the people we had on the park and the bench are those that are available for him to pick from. He tried something different against Dundee Utd and it was almost successful. Williams got injured. So that trial was aborted. He tried Milne at Centre back vs QP, which didn’t really work, but Adeloye coming on sparked a come back but he got injured. What would you do next ?

That's a fair question Lenziejag, and I have no expertise that would allow me to make credible suggestions for change.  However those on the bench last night are not the only options as you suggest.  Also he has the summer to improve the squad and time for those curently injured to recover, both of which would allow a change in tactics. 

Next season could be very competitive in the Championship, with the possibility that Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and Livingston all looking to get promoted, along with Falkirk being far more of a threat than Arbroath. We have 12 players who’s contracts expire or loans end (including 3 keepers, 2 regular defenders and right back) so this will be a big transfer window for us to be near contention.

Hopefully all 3 keepers leave (I don’t know the status of McCready but he’s still young)

I don’t know if Kenny Arthur is involved in recruitment of keepers, but if he is his judgement needs to be questioned as none of our keepers are particularly good

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Next season could be very competitive in the Championship, with the possibility that Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and Livingston all looking to get promoted, along with Falkirk being far more of a threat than Arbroath. We have 12 players who’s contracts expire or loans end (including 3 keepers, 2 regular defenders and right back) so this will be a big transfer window for us to be near contention.

One of the biggest worries to me is how poorly planned this squad looks. 

We're essentially going to be doing to biggest rebuild in years with around 6 starters required as well as depth in every position. After this summer I'm not sure I trust Doolan or the club to do this properly. Of his signings how many could be called a success? I wouldn't say any, although McBeth, Robinson and O'Reilly may become so but large uncertainty on all.

49 minutes ago, Derby Jag said:

One of the biggest worries to me is how poorly planned this squad looks. 

We're essentially going to be doing to biggest rebuild in years with around 6 starters required as well as depth in every position. After this summer I'm not sure I trust Doolan or the club to do this properly. Of his signings how many could be called a success? I wouldn't say any, although McBeth, Robinson and O'Reilly may become so but large uncertainty on all.

Out of likes but completely agree.  

13 hours ago, King Kenny said:

He’s celebrated every goal he’s scored like that! His body language is never the best but I think it’s a stretch to say he’s faking an injury due to a lack of game time 

A muted celebration of a goal which still leaves us behind in the game (ie 2-1 down) would be fairly normal.

8 hours ago, javeajag said:

Doolan couldn’t spot a player at a World Cup Final 

4 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Will we be in the Championship to join them?

46 minutes ago, Whitelees jag said:

Never understood spending some of the budget on Alston, Macdonald and Williamson.  Waste of money. We then sign a goalie as cover they obviously dont rate the lad McCready. Reminds me of Archies recruitment. 

I think it better that Mason gets some game time with Spartans to develop rather than sitting on the bench for us. He is one that might still come through and is contracted to 2025. For next year I would like to see Mason and another up and coming keeper backing up one experienced keeper and not any of the current batch who are proven to be not good enough.

I didn’t know that Mason’s dad won a Super Bowl for the Patriots in 2001.

That’s a great bit of trivia DD, that’s my NFL team

to add, I see he also played for the Claymores so I probably saw him play as I went to a few games at Hampden

Edited by jaggy

4 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I think it better that Mason gets some game time with Spartans to develop rather than sitting on the bench for us. He is one that might still come through and is contracted to 2025. For next year I would like to see Mason and another up and coming keeper backing up one experienced keeper and not any of the current batch who are proven to be not good enough.

I didn’t know that Mason’s dad won a Super Bowl for the Patriots in 2001.

McCready doesn’t appear to have played a single game for Spartans this year

Not much I can add, in terns of how we play and the signings we have made, to what has been already stated in this thread.

I can say that I have never thought we were a 'stick on' for a play-off place. A team that loses almost as many goals as it scores can never be trusted to achieve great things.  When you consider that the majority of the goals we lose are very soft and are similar there are clearly deep seated issues to be addressed.

We have also been unlucky with the timing of injuries but so have other clubs, for example, Morton. At the moment Morton and Airdrie look better play-off prospects.

We really need to find a win and Saturday v Morton would be a good place to start.

7 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Got a feeling that a underwhelming draw is tomorrow's fate.

Morton are just the sort of outfit to rub salt into our wounds. I'd be tempted to take a draw.

Changing my tune somewhat. I'd be happy now if we stumbled into the play offs and found ourselves with a fit squad that went on to play to their true potential. And, yes, I'm being optimistic with "true potential".