Jump to content

Thistle v Kelty


Albert's Ghost
 Share

Recommended Posts

Thistle played ok against poor opposition in a library. 
 

The sending offs were farcical. Who the hell is that ref? Excitable fool.

I felt sorry for the players who worked a good shift and the fans who paid their hard earned money. The atmosphere was non existent.

Boycotts are a complete waste of time and money. Jags supporters? No! Demonstrate inside the ground by all means. But don’t watch from the canal like the OF.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

Thistle played ok against poor opposition in a library. 
 

The sending offs were farcical. Who the hell is that ref? Excitable fool.

I felt sorry for the players who worked a good shift and the fans who paid their hard earned money. The atmosphere was non existent.

Boycotts are a complete waste of time and money. Jags supporters? No! Demonstrate inside the ground by all means. But don’t watch from the canal like the OF.

I appreciate that we can all have our different views on the appropriateness and effectiveness of yesterday's boycott. However, I would  not want to suggest that those who chose to express their feelings in this way are not Jags supporters.

Agree with you about the sendings off. Total over-reaction.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

Thistle played ok against poor opposition in a library. 
 

The sending offs were farcical. Who the hell is that ref? Excitable fool.

I felt sorry for the players who worked a good shift and the fans who paid their hard earned money. The atmosphere was non existent.

Boycotts are a complete waste of time and money. Jags supporters? No! Demonstrate inside the ground by all means. But don’t watch from the canal like the OF.

I think the boycott was targeted and effective. Now we all know what an unhappy fanbase looks and sounds like.

It was a fan-led initiative that brought about the singing section in the, then, North Stand. Before that the atmosphere at Firhill was as you have described. Yesterday was a demonstration of what can happen when the board of directors turn their back on those fans.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

Thistle played ok against poor opposition in a library. 
 

The sending offs were farcical. Who the hell is that ref? Excitable fool.

I felt sorry for the players who worked a good shift and the fans who paid their hard earned money. The atmosphere was non existent.

Boycotts are a complete waste of time and money. Jags supporters? No! Demonstrate inside the ground by all means. But don’t watch from the canal like the OF.

Tbh I went to the game but I thought the boycott was very effective. To suggest the people protesting are not jags fans is simply outrageous and also misses the point. It’s better to ficus in how and why it has come to this where the people owning and running the club have alienated a large part of our younger support…..the future of our club.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I see it there were four categories of protester yesterday. Some would join the protest before the game and then take their seats. Others may have joined the pre match protest and then gone away. Then there were those who protested and went up to the canal bank. Finally, backed up by an exceptionally low attendance, there were clearly a number who just didn't turn up at all. A mixture I'd assume containing "boycotters" and the totally pissed off. From my seat in the JHS I noticed many regulars were absent. 

I reckon that last category is the most alarming. The powers that be will just put the stayaways down to the economic climate. Whereas on many cases that nowhere near paints the true picture. With that in mind I believe all the other protesters are to be congratulated. Certainly got the message across. Ideally yesterday's protest will have had enough effect to not warrant a similar hit on the turnstiles. The Board now know for sure what Firhill minus our most vociferous supporters looks and sounds like. Sadly I say "ideally" with not much conviction. The Board have at least been given a few weeks grace until our next home match. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

As I see it there were four categories of protester yesterday. Some would join the protest before the game and then take their seats. Others may have joined the pre match protest and then gone away. Then there were those who protested and went up to the canal bank. Finally, backed up by an exceptionally low attendance, there were clearly a number who just didn't turn up at all. A mixture I'd assume containing "boycotters" and the totally pissed off. From my seat in the JHS I noticed many regulars were absent. 

I reckon that last category is the most alarming. The powers that be will just put the stayaways down to the economic climate. Whereas on many cases that nowhere near paints the true picture. With that in mind I believe all the other protesters are to be congratulated. Certainly got the message across. Ideally yesterday's protest will have had enough effect to not warrant a similar hit on the turnstiles. The Board now know for sure what Firhill minus our most vociferous supporters looks and sounds like. Sadly I say "ideally" with not much conviction. The Board have at least been given a few weeks grace until our next home match. 

I am not sure there is any legitimacy in them claiming the economic crisis for the low attendance. This has been with us for quite a number of weeks and even through our poor period of form, the attendances have held up quite well, I think. 
I wasn’t at the game yesterday. I normally go to the cup games but as you suggest, I just couldn’t be bothered, because of the situation.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I am not sure there is any legitimacy in them claiming the economic crisis for the low attendance. This has been with us for quite a number of weeks and even through our poor period of form, the attendances have held up quite well, I think. 
I wasn’t at the game yesterday. I normally go to the cup games but as you suggest, I just couldn’t be bothered, because of the situation.

As it’s a non-season ticket game some might have decided to spend £20 elsewhere, so there could be a small element of the economy. 
 

4 out of 5 of us that are regulars didn’t go for a variety of reasons, none economic or boycott related.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

As I see it there were four categories of protester yesterday. Some would join the protest before the game and then take their seats. Others may have joined the pre match protest and then gone away. Then there were those who protested and went up to the canal bank. Finally, backed up by an exceptionally low attendance, there were clearly a number who just didn't turn up at all. A mixture I'd assume containing "boycotters" and the totally pissed off. From my seat in the JHS I noticed many regulars were absent. 

I reckon that last category is the most alarming. The powers that be will just put the stayaways down to the economic climate. Whereas on many cases that nowhere near paints the true picture. With that in mind I believe all the other protesters are to be congratulated. Certainly got the message across. Ideally yesterday's protest will have had enough effect to not warrant a similar hit on the turnstiles. The Board now know for sure what Firhill minus our most vociferous supporters looks and sounds like. Sadly I say "ideally" with not much conviction. The Board have at least been given a few weeks grace until our next home match. 

Agree with your post but I can’t see anything changing anytime soon , the main difference being between what we had in the past were directors who had a vested interest in our Club and contributed financially like Beattie , McMaster , Oliver and Reid and who would suffer on and off the park if the books didn’t balance and there wasn’t some degree of success.

What we have just now , is a chairperson in Jaqui Lowe who as far as we know hasn’t invested in PTFC and seems to be on some sort of power trip to maintain her contacts within the business world unless there is some sort of remuneration that is hidden within our “ Accounts “

The protests yesterday won’t harm Jaquie Low only our Club .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Agree with your post but I can’t see anything changing anytime soon , the main difference being between what we had in the past were directors who had a vested interest in our Club and contributed financially like Beattie , McMaster , Oliver and Reid and who would suffer on and off the park if the books didn’t balance and there wasn’t some degree of success.

What we have just now , is a chairperson in Jaqui Lowe who as far as we know hasn’t invested in PTFC and seems to be on some sort of power trip to maintain her contacts within the business world unless there is some sort of remuneration that is hidden within our “ Accounts “

The protests yesterday won’t harm Jaquie Low only our Club .

Unfortunately, ‘ordinary’ supporters don’t really have access to any  alternative dispute mechanism?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well done to those protesting. Looked like a couple of hundred and they didn't stop singing and chanting throughout the 90 minutes. Sustaining that level of protest will eventually lead to negative publicity which will impact on JLow's sideline as a PR consultant. 

Gerry Britton's desire to attach himself to Jlow is bewildering but will ultimately end his career at Thistle and make him unemployable in other similar roles. 

However, there were a couple of idiots in the JHS making negative comments to the protestors. I would love to know from those folk what they think the leadership of the Trust and the club have done to deserve their support?

The action on the park was a bit like a training game. Turner was very good throughout and his combination with Milne on the left side may be worth trying again in a league game. It looked more effective than anything Fitzpatrick has done so far this season. It was just a shame he couldn't convert his second half run through the Kelty defence as it would have been a wondergoal.

Kelty were so poor that Cammy Smith managed to get an assist against them. I think that's his only assist in his time with us. 

Sad to see Higginbotham and Cardle in their current state both could be excellent. The decline particularly with Higginbotham is fairly dramatic for a guy that is still only 33 and who in his first season with us looked a world-beater.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

I think the boycott was targeted and effective. Now we all know what an unhappy fanbase looks and sounds like.

It was a fan-led initiative that brought about the singing section in the, then, North Stand. Before that the atmosphere at Firhill was as you have described. Yesterday was a demonstration of what can happen when the board of directors turn their back on those fans.

Absolutely Spot On.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pretty sure we had that ref a few games ago (possibly Dundee) and remember thinking he was completely useless.  He basically continued in the same vein yesterday.  Had assumed he'd seen something I'd missed for the sending off, but just watched on Jagzone and it's a complete joke.  It gets a bit testy but even yellow cards for that would be harsh.  Even worse it's Lawless and Cardle that were having a go at each other.  What Docherty is sent off for, Christ alone knows.

Both clubs really should complain about this; that's two players with two match bans for no reason whatsoever.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@jlsarmy you are correct, we have a history of Club Chairs and other directors who have contributed financially to keep Thistle afloat. 

Not sure that pattern has been maintained while Colin Weir funds have been brought in via TBC. 

What happens now that the Club is ‘owned’ by the famous five? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Muscat Jag said:

Pretty sure we had that ref a few games ago (possibly Dundee) and remember thinking he was completely useless.  He basically continued in the same vein yesterday.  Had assumed he'd seen something I'd missed for the sending off, but just watched on Jagzone and it's a complete joke.  It gets a bit testy but even yellow cards for that would be harsh.  Even worse it's Lawless and Cardle that were having a go at each other.  What Docherty is sent off for, Christ alone knows.

Both clubs really should complain about this; that's two players with two match bans for no reason whatsoever.  

Perhaps the ref may have thought Docherty went in studs up.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most of the post-Kelty updates are in place check the home page for the latest news. Stats Watch is especially busy this week, some entries below  :detective:

Kelty Hearts become the 145th club to meet Partick Thistle in competitive action, one for one matching Partick Thistle's history of 145 competiton seasons.
Joe Cardle is the first 'former Jag' to be sent-off against Thistle since Eddie Forrest (Forfar Athletic) saw red exactly 17 years to the day.
● After going almost 2 years without a red card in the League, Thistle have suffered four in six weeks. It's only the second time in history we've had Jagsmen ordered off in 3 separate games in the same month. November 2022 (Muirhead, Akinola & Docherty) now sits alongside October 1994 (Craig, Charnley & Grant).
● Referee Craig Napier has sent off a Jagsman in each of his last two Thistle games; Muirhead (5th November 2022) & Docherty (26th November 2022).
● 5 former Jags play against Thistle for the first time since February 2019, when a similar number did so as Dunfermline Athletic players.
Brian Graham's 40th competitive goal moves him one place above Steven Lawless in that chart. The 'Top 50' target is Gerry Britton who registered 43.
Jack McMillan registers his 8th assist of the season. In the latest 10 seasons of competitive action, only Kyle Turner (10, 2021-22) and Kallum Higginbotham (11, 2013-14) have set up more goals for Thistle in any given season.
Tony Weston becomes the 16th Thistle scorer in 2022-23 competitive action, a tally which is now two beyond last season's spread of 14.
● A little bit of history is made as Thistle make 6 substitutions for the first time ever in a 'Major Competitive' match. It matches the 'Competitive' record (6) which was set on 21st July 2012 when a Celtic XI was defeated by 2 goals to nil in the ARR Craib Cup Semi Final.
● It's very unusual to see a player come on, score, and then be subbed off, but that's what happened to Anton Dowds. Surprisingly, he's the third Jag to experience this sequence in competitive action, following on from Scott Houston (2-2 vs. East Fife in April 1999) and David McCallum (5-3 vs. Raith Rovers, August 2001).
● For the second consecutive competitive game, Thistle register a 3-goal winning margin, a stat last seen in March 2013 when a 6-1 win over Livingston was followed by a 3-0 at Cowdenbeath. The club-record (5-in-a-row) was set in December 1899.

● With many fans boycotting in protest at the way fan ownership has been handled by the club, the attendance of 1,484 was an all-time low for a Partick Thistle Scottish Cup tie at Firhill. The previous record-low (1,818) was set in November 2005, a 1-1 draw at home to Albion Rovers.

 

 

scorers.png

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Talked about this for the past couple of weeks, Cardle must be taken out to give us a chance. And it certainly looked like Docherty went in studs a flying. If Cardle was old school, he would have just marked his card and stayed on the field and Docherty would have walked. If McCall had a plan to stop Cardle all well and good. Old school tells us when you go in yer man's off to the hospital with no chance of playing on as you have an early bath.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, sabbath said:

Talked about this for the past couple of weeks, Cardle must be taken out to give us a chance. And it certainly looked like Docherty went in studs a flying. If Cardle was old school, he would have just marked his card and stayed on the field and Docherty would have walked. If McCall had a plan to stop Cardle all well and good. Old school tells us when you go in yer man's off to the hospital with no chance of playing on as you have an early bath.

So if Cardle had stayed on we were likely to get beat? Find that a tad far fetched. I liked Cardle but Messi he is not. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This came to me some time back, but I don't know how accurate it is:

Cardle, maybe like like Andy Lyons, was a decent enough player in a pure sh*te Thistle team. That is to say, he had some real moments that suggested he had the potential to do better if he was in a better team, but he simply wasn't strong enough to especially galvanize the sorry squad that surrounded him at Firhill. Or, he couldn't show that he had the same level of performance  in reserve for the next campaign.

Anything I've got wrong there?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...