Partick Thistle Women - Season 23/24

Fawlty Towers

14 minutes ago, Aberdeenjag said:

They've got to move either the final or the game against Arbroath.....no way can they have both on the same day

well that would be the sensible thing to do however….

fantastic achievement and what a great cup weekend to be a Jag.  :fan:🏆

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Derby Jag said:

Watched along on iPlayer and very proud of the team. Fantastic achievement, I really hope to be able to see them in the final in March in the flesh

Great weekend all round for everyone at the club

If we get to see them in the flesh that would certainly increase the attendance !

Read that again and I think Derby Jag is in the flesh. Attendance has just evaporated 

Edited by Dick Dastardly
  • Haha 1

Very convincing win today. Well on top even when it was 11 v 11, and managed the game effectively in horrendous conditions. The second goal was a spectacular long range shot.

Thistle both hungrier and more skillful. Hibs seemed strangely lethargic. It may be that the early bookings and eventual red card made them nervous about making strong challenges.

The victory is even more commendable when you remember that it is a part-time team coming up against a hybrid full-time/part-time team who are able to train together far more often.

As regards the final, the position of Brian Graham as coach of one team and captain of the other is an unfortunate clash. However, the far more fundamental aspect of having the men's team and the women's team playing at the same time is the splitting of the potential Thistle support, which will be vital for both games.

Moving one of the games to the Sunday seems to be the sensible option, but when did common sense have anything to do with such decisions?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

As regards the final, the position of Brian Graham as coach of one team and captain of the other is an unfortunate clash. However, the far more fundamental aspect of having the men's team and the women's team playing at the same time is the splitting of the potential Thistle support, which will be vital for both games.

Moving one of the games to the Sunday seems to be the sensible option, but when did common sense have anything to do with such decisions?

Indeed… when did the authorities ever show anything but contempt for Partick Thistle 

2 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Very convincing win today. Well on top even when it was 11 v 11, and managed the game effectively in horrendous conditions. The second goal was a spectacular long range shot.

Thistle both hungrier and more skillful. Hibs seemed strangely lethargic. It may be that the early bookings and eventual red card made them nervous about making strong challenges.

The victory is even more commendable when you remember that it is a part-time team coming up against a hybrid full-time/part-time team who are able to train together far more often.

I suppose they could move the Arbroath game for Friday night telly. I see Dundee Utd play Raith the following week, so I'd imagine that increases the chances of our game being televised. One thing for certain Arbroath won't want to reschedule from a Saturday KO. Loss of gate receipts & hospitality.

The Thistle players dealt with the horrendous weather conditions and a Hibs team who did not hold back. Scored 2 good goals, particularly the second.

What a job Brian Graham is doing for Thistle. I know he has done a couple of stupid things that can infuriate us as Thistle fans, but yesterday he scores the all important first goal and today leads the women's team to their first major national cup final.  :fan:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

A great achievement to reach the League Cup final :clapping:

Let's hope that some arrangement can be reached so Brian Graham can lead his team out for the final.

I am sure Graham will be able to lead the team out at the final...........  he just won't be playing against Arbroath.

I don't know who the decision makers are but if McLennan and Doncaster have anything to do with it the final will not be moved and neither will the Arbroath game.

The authorities will turn the situation back to the club and tell them they have the option to play Grahan v Arbroath or not play him so that he can lead the team out at the final.

Their choice!

To the game itself.  A great result and convincing performance. Both goals were very good but I thought Slater's goal was a fantastic effort.

We handled the conditions better than Hibs and when the situation allowed tried to pass the ball. No accident Skzter's goal came from a passing movement.

Congratulations to the coaching staff, the players and the fans who braved the conditions. Best of luck for the Final.

6 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I am sure Graham will be able to lead the team out at the final...........  he just won't be playing against Arbroath.

I don't know who the decision makers are but if McLennan and Doncaster have anything to do with it the final will not be moved and neither will the Arbroath game.

The authorities will turn the situation back to the club and tell them they have the option to play Grahan v Arbroath or not play him so that he can lead the team out at the final.

Their choice!

To the game itself.  A great result and convincing performance. Both goals were very good but I thought Slater's goal was a fantastic effort.

We handled the conditions better than Hibs and when the situation allowed tried to pass the ball. No accident Skzter's goal came from a passing movement.

Congratulations to the coaching staff, the players and the fans who braved the conditions. Best of luck for the Final.

I would regard Graham’s situation as relatively minor in the overall scheme of things. He can miss the Arbroath game. We have a squad and are well used to covering absences for all sorts of reasons. 

What is far more serious is leaving Thistle fans with the impossible choice as to which team to support on the day.

The media seem to be focusing on Graham and ignoring the wider issue for the supporters. This will also affect attendance at both games.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, partickthedog said:

I would regard Graham’s situation as relatively minor in the overall scheme of things. He can miss the Arbroath game. We have a squad and are well used to covering absences for all sorts of reasons. 

What is far more serious is leaving Thistle fans with the impossible choice as to which team to support on the day.

The media seem to be focusing on Graham and ignoring the wider issue for the supporters. This will also affect attendance at both games.

This is a big issue for me. 

Interest in PTWFC has never been greater. There was 600 (less than 100 Hibs fans) at the game yesterday played during a weather warning. 

I reckon if no clash we would take a big, noisy, support to the Final enhancing a showcase event for the women's game in Scotland  live on TV. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom Hosie said:

This is a big issue for me. 

Interest in PTWFC has never been greater. There was 600 (less than 100 Hibs fans) at the game yesterday played during a weather warning. 

I reckon if no clash we would take a big, noisy, support to the Final enhancing a showcase event for the women's game in Scotland  live on TV. 

It is surely a bigger issue than just PTWFC. If the football authorities are serious about promoting the women’s game, it doesn’t seem like the smartest decision to schedule the game on a Saturday afternoon when there will be men’s games from all divisions, presumably. Haven’t checked.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

It is surely a bigger issue than just PTWFC. If the football authorities are serious about promoting the women’s game, it doesn’t seem like the smartest decision to schedule the game on a Saturday afternoon when there will be men’s games from all divisions, presumably. Haven’t checked.

It's international weekend 22nd - 26th March. Netherlands v Scotland on the Friday night, so no top league fixtures.

The other three divisions are all in action.

53 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

It's international weekend 22nd - 26th March. Netherlands v Scotland on the Friday night, so no top league fixtures.

Oops! How did a diddy team get to the final?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

It makes more sense why they chose that date but not if they want to promote the women’s game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

Shame you had a full stop there (After presumably) as I first read that as - surely there will be games on a Saturday although no doubt the authorities haven't checked if that is the case!  That seemed closer to the truth as they are so out of touch with the game. 🥺

On the 23rd March there are are no Premiership fixtures. So obviously they chose that date for the final because, there's only gonnae be "big" teams involved (they thought). No doubt live TV will be involved, but "tae hell wae the rest of the SPFL". The final is 2 months away so there's plenty of time to reschedule (if they so desire).

One other question I have is why Tynecastle as the venue? I know it can't be Hampden because we have an important (?) friendly international on the Tuesday. When exactly did they decide the venue? Maybe somebody close to the women's game can tell me when did Hearts get knocked out, and by whom?

1 hour ago, QXBoy said:

One other question I have is why Tynecastle as the venue? I know it can't be Hampden because we have an important (?) friendly international on the Tuesday. When exactly did they decide the venue? Maybe somebody close to the women's game can tell me when did Hearts get knocked out, and by whom?

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=swpl+cup+games#sie=lg;/g/11krt_d65x;2;/m/04y8011;mt;fp;1;;;

5 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

It reflects not only the BBC but the Scottish media's complete disregard for clubs other than The Glasgow Whingers and Glasgow  Sellit.

Not only that - but Sky didn’t bother giving the score of a game in a competition they sponsor.

At the time of the semi-final draw (after the quarter-finals of 12 November) the SWPL stated that the final would take place on the weekend of 23rd/24th March. Subsequent to that, in mid December, they announced that "they had agreed a slot with Sky Sports for the final to be played on Saturday 23rd March with a 3.00 p.m. kick-off". So they, I presume, in agreeing that slot, knew that there was a possibility of a participating club's Men's team having a fixture at the exact same time. The SWPL managing director is quoted in that announcement as saying "that we hope it will encourage a strong attendance, and that it is ideal for local and travelling fans at that time of year".  

Bottom line - we're no' supposed tae be there.

• Like 1