Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
East Kent Jag II

Thistle v Peterhead 19/12/2020

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, jaggy said:

And to make matters worse Falkirk lose

I fail to see how that is worse. It was a lost opportunity yesterday, but we are still just the 6 points behind. The same as we were before this weekend’s games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

We have changed manager 3 times since top  six. So that isn’t the obvious answer. 

Look for the common denominator through this period. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, jaggy said:

And to make matters worse Falkirk lose

How does this make matters worse? Win next week (which we are certainly capable of, and indeed should have beaten Falkirk in the previous game), and it's a 3 point gap with 17 games to play.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, jaggy said:

And to make matters worse Falkirk lose

Ok badly worded. It does help but what I meant was a win yesterday would have put us in a great position for next week, but the poor performance and result looks like a chance thrown away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Look for the common denominator through this period. 

An astute point.

Parallels with the Dick Campbell period are interesting. We finished 4th in the - then - Second Division (Campbell having relegated us the previous season with still the worst Thistle team I've ever seen) and scraped through via the play-offs. Mark Roberts dragged us there almost single-handedly. There were some horrible results to endure in that season, if I remember, pumped at Firhill by Gretna, Stirling Albion and so on...

The team we have this season, in my opinion, is better than what Dick Campbell assembled that season - which was also full time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, milhouse said:

 

An astute point.

Parallels with the Dick Campbell period are interesting. We finished 4th in the - then - Second Division (Campbell having relegated us the previous season with still the worst Thistle team I've ever seen) and scraped through via the play-offs. Mark Roberts dragged us there almost single-handedly. There were some horrible results to endure in that season, if I remember, pumped at Firhill by Gretna, Stirling Albion and so on...

The team we have this season, in my opinion, is better than what Dick Campbell assembled that season - which was also full time.

I agree this team is far better on paper than dick Campbell’s and should be doing so much better - don’t know it’s fitness, attitude or laziness that is the reason behind them not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we beat Falkirk next week its game on. If we lose I'd agree we will be gubbed. Depends very much on us sorting out our woeful finishing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, milhouse said:

An astute point.

Parallels with the Dick Campbell period are interesting. We finished 4th in the - then - Second Division (Campbell having relegated us the previous season with still the worst Thistle team I've ever seen) and scraped through via the play-offs. Mark Roberts dragged us there almost single-handedly. There were some horrible results to endure in that season, if I remember, pumped at Firhill by Gretna, Stirling Albion and so on...

The team we have this season, in my opinion, is better than what Dick Campbell assembled that season - which was also full time.

In my way of looking at things I think we'd have to finish third or worse to compare with the Campbell squad. (Third as there's no Gretna equivalent this year). But then again there's no Mark Roberts equivalent this season either. Maybe it looked briefly Graham might have been that type of influence but I very much doubt it.  Had Roberts got injured for any lengthy period back then we'd most likely have been in the play offs at the other end of the division. 

Falkirk's defeat today looks every bit as bad as ours yesterday. Gotta take some crumbs of comfort from that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jaggy said:

Ok badly worded. It does help but what I meant was a win yesterday would have put us in a great position for next week, but the poor performance and result looks like a chance thrown away

One of a few this season. Our failure to convert 2 of our penalties in the league so far this season are also missed opportunities that could have converted 1 point into 3 and one was against Falkirk as well. We need to make sure we don't slip up this weekend. Behind Falkirk their is only a couple of points between 4 or 5 teams. We cannot afford  any more slip ups or the play offs could also be out of reach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

In my way of looking at things I think we'd have to finish third or worse to compare with the Campbell squad. (Third as there's no Gretna equivalent this year). But then again there's no Mark Roberts equivalent this season either. Maybe it looked briefly Graham might have been that type of influence but I very much doubt it.  Had Roberts got injured for any lengthy period back then we'd most likely have been in the play offs at the other end of the division. 

Falkirk's defeat today looks every bit as bad as ours yesterday. Gotta take some crumbs of comfort from that.

The other factor that makes comparisons difficult is that in the first half of the Dick Campbell 3rd tier campaign, we were bolstered by two unusually effective loan signings who (partly unintentionally) had a transformative effect on our ability to score goals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

That's us  played 1/3 of the season 9 games and scored 9 goals not exactly setting the Heather on fire for a full-time team ...We went on about 4 clean sheets in a row in the league. I would rather  we won 5=3,  4=2. As opposed to 1.0. against part-timers....

Totally agree with above. 

I think most Thistle fans feel (like me) that if we lose the first goal it's more or less game over because we all know this team will not score many goals. 

I was never worried about losing goals watching the Thistle Team of the early 1960s or the  1970-71 & 2012/13 teams because they gave fans the feeling that  they had goals in them and that they would score!

I appreciate there are exceptions, recently Falkirk 0-1, to 2-1 to 2-2. However until we start scoring a lot more goals the list of games that fall into the 'we should have won' category will continue to grow! Also the opposition know that if they score first we will find it hard to break them down! The Manager needs to resolve this issue quickly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Totally agree with above. 

I think most Thistle fans feel (like me) that if we lose the first goal it's more or less game over because we all know this team will not score many goals. 

I was never worried about losing goals watching the Thistle Team of the early 1960s or the  1970-71 & 2012/13 teams because they gave fans the feeling that  they had goals in them and that they would score!

I appreciate there are exceptions, recently Falkirk 0-1, to 2-1 to 2-2. However until we start scoring a lot more goals the list of games that fall into the 'we should have won' category will continue to grow! Also the opposition know that if they score first we will find it hard to break them down! The Manager needs to resolve this issue quickly. 

Agree with this. Only Dumbarton, Clyde and Forfar have scored fewer goals than us. Falkirk have scored nearly twice as many as we have.

No invention in front of goal, and this is costing us dearly.  We don't seem capable of breaking quickly, and forwards seem incapable of using initiative.

We need to start scoring more freely, because with Queens Park in League 1 next year, things will not be easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, exiledjag said:

Totally agree with above. 

I think most Thistle fans feel (like me) that if we lose the first goal it's more or less game over because we all know this team will not score many goals. 

I was never worried about losing goals watching the Thistle Team of the early 1960s or the  1970-71 & 2012/13 teams because they gave fans the feeling that  they had goals in them and that they would score!

I appreciate there are exceptions, recently Falkirk 0-1, to 2-1 to 2-2. However until we start scoring a lot more goals the list of games that fall into the 'we should have won' category will continue to grow! Also the opposition know that if they score first we will find it hard to break them down! The Manager needs to resolve this issue quickly. 

Also Airdrie. But we are definitely missing some creativity at the minute. Yesterday, once Peterhead snuffed out Cardle/Williamson, we had nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, jaggy said:

so how do we resolve the problems? You're good at having a go but do you know the answers?

It is not for me to solve the problems but i believe the problems start at the top and work right down to the bottom. Chairman and board are useless (tbh board are anonymous and we have went from knowing who was involved in the club to non entities that don't do much). Britton has been around too long and the whole culture of the club is too cosy. Need some hard nosed business people at the top that take no shit and let everyone below them know the minimum expectations and that failure will not be tolerated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Agree with this. Only Dumbarton, Clyde and Forfar have scored fewer goals than us. Falkirk have scored nearly twice as many as we have.

No invention in front of goal, and this is costing us dearly.  We don't seem capable of breaking quickly, and forwards seem incapable of using initiative.

We need to start scoring more freely, because with Queens Park in League 1 next year, things will not be easy.

I fully agree with you but who just a few years ago and top 6 finish time would have thought that last paragraph would be typed in the forum.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

We have changed manager 3 times since top  six. So that isn’t the obvious answer. 

We can't go on the way we are, drifting to mid-table mediocrity and just hoping we get to a play-off and a bit of luck when we get there. The players we have are better than the team performances we are getting. I agree with GRE that there are issues in the boardroom, but that is only going to change to fan ownership. There is nothing we can do about that, so I would say that the manager is the obvious answer. He is the one that sets the formation, selects the players, gives out the instructions and organizes the training and these are where it is going horribly wrong.  

I will admit that there is no guarantee of success, but it has to be a better option than doing nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

We can't go on the way we are, drifting to mid-table mediocrity and just hoping we get to a play-off and a bit of luck when we get there. The players we have are better than the team performances we are getting. I agree with GRE that there are issues in the boardroom, but that is only going to change to fan ownership. There is nothing we can do about that, so I would say that the manager is the obvious answer. He is the one that sets the formation, selects the players, gives out the instructions and organizes the training and these are where it is going horribly wrong.  

I will admit that there is no guarantee of success, but it has to be a better option than doing nothing.

Rightly or wrongly I can only see McCall being sacked when we mathematically fail to qualify for promotion or we make the playoffs and are put out.

im not saying that’s the right thing to do (some make a good case for why it should happen a lot sooner) but I think it’s what the club will do

changing the subject but there’s some who keep saying on social media particularly that Kris Doolan is the answer to our goal scoring problems in January. I don’t and I’m not sure either are but can I ask any on here genuinely why Doolan would be better than Liam Buchanan on a short term deal - and I’m not saying he is the answer either but I’ve heard Doolan mentioned so many times, yet from what I can see Buchanan has a far better record the last couple of years in the championship than Doolan and going by the logic that but Doolan would score for fun in league one? Would that not apply equally or even more so to Buchanan?  Like I say not convinced either will be signed anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×