Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Garscube Road End 2

Scottish Cup 2nd round draw.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

What big team we hoping to draw tinight?

Normally I like a trip away to somewhere  not been before but obv this year things are different so the most winnable tie will do instead (if there is such a thing).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CotterJag said:

One of my worst ever games was Cowdenbeath at Firhill in the cup.

Please not again.

My selective memory prefers to focus on the last time we played Cowdenbeath in the Scottish Cup at Firhill, presumably the only previous occasion we have done so as a third tier team.

We were in the lower half of what was then the Second Division (even worse than we are now), and we hammered them 5-2 with a hat trick by Paul Tosh and a brace by Robert Dunn. Would be great to see us score 5 again (though it might use up our goals quota for January and February).

On another positive note, Dunfermline and Morton being drawn together removes one potential obstacle to our winning the Scottish Cup in 2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CotterJag said:

One of my worst ever games was Cowdenbeath at Firhill in the cup.

Please not again.

Remember that game well :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

My selective memory prefers to focus on the last time we played Cowdenbeath in the Scottish Cup at Firhill, presumably the only previous occasion we have done so as a third tier team.

We were in the lower half of what was then the Second Division (even worse than we are now), and we hammered them 5-2 with a hat trick by Paul Tosh and a brace by Robert Dunn. Would be great to see us score 5 again (though it might use up our goals quota for January and February).

I remember the game well - Andy Frame had a stormer in central midfield that day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

I remember the game well - Andy Frame had a stormer in central midfield that day.

I can remember Andy Frame playing well in a midweek league game against Alloa Athletic at around the same time. Appeared to be a real prospect but after a handful of good games his early promise seemed to fade and die. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Remember that game well :( 

A dreich day from memory.

1-0 to them and pretty sure we played very badly.

I was stood behind the goals at the city end with my Granda and remember their small travelling support were allowed close to the pitch just down from the main stand. Was never sure why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sandy said:

And the excuses...,

"Cowdenbeath are a poor side. We were unlucky not to score seven or eight. The conditions were horrendous. How that chancer is a professional referee is anybody's guess. Once our injured players come back we'll be fine..."

Just to start the ball rolling already.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, partickthedog said:

My selective memory prefers to focus on the last time we played Cowdenbeath in the Scottish Cup at Firhill, presumably the only previous occasion we have done so as a third tier team.

We were in the lower half of what was then the Second Division (even worse than we are now), and we hammered them 5-2 with a hat trick by Paul Tosh and a brace by Robert Dunn. Would be great to see us score 5 again (though it might use up our goals quota for January and February).

On another positive note, Dunfermline and Morton being drawn together removes one potential obstacle to our winning the Scottish Cup in 2021.

Every tie removes a potential obstacle to our winning the cup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When this tie is played, lets remember the Cowdenbeath chairman, old Donald Finlay QC.  In a Sunday Post article on 19 April, after having been rather forward in the termination of the lower leagues, the article was about the termination of the SPL. The paper said of him "Finlay was a strong advocate of the season being terminated as soon as possible to safeguard the health of everyone connected with the game..."

In the article he said (about not playing for the following three summer months) ""You're going to have some winners and  some losers, but that can't interfere with the process."   Popular expression that winners and losers bit.

Cowdenbeath FC didn't mothball for the health of those in the game, when the current season commenced. They turn out now.  I am aware that to mothball would have meant demotion, and I agree that the circumstances were different when  Scottish football restarted.

Being a Scottish Cup tie, it would be unfair to take any "not a penny" action, as that would affect our club too.  But when the team selected for the game go onto the field, I hope that they remember our fans and  those weasel words, and get the goal scoring action together to ram them down his scrawny  throat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Genuine questions and hardly prompted by this draw but....... In the event of a Scottish Cup game being streamed solely by the home side, does the home side split the revenue from the screening? Or, are the away club allowed to stream the game with each club retaining respective revenues? Or, is there some sort of convoluted revenue sharing in place?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Genuine questions and hardly prompted by this draw but....... In the event of a Scottish Cup game being streamed solely by the home side, does the home side split the revenue from the screening? Or, are the away club allowed to stream the game with each club retaining respective revenues? Or, is there some sort of convoluted revenue sharing in place?  

Rule 41 of the Cup rules cover "Division of receipts and payment of expenses". 

However in Rule 40 (a) The SFA will, as a measure of financial assistance, provide a payment to each club drawn away from home in prelim round, Round 1 and Round 2. Max of £400 per club.

Rule 41(a) home team deduct 20% of gross receipts for costs, the remaining 80 % divided equally between the two clubs.

If half of the remaining 80% does not meet the guarantee (for away side) only guarantee given. (From rule 40, the guarantee seems to be the £400 quoted in Rule 40.)

I've only looked at it very quickly, LIB, if anyone else has any other info, please share.  I see no written mention anywhere about this year with streaming,  but I take the view that that would fall within  the provision of gross receipts in rule 41(a).

Away clubs streaming a game would need to seek the permission of the home club, but I've no info on how the commerciality of that transaction would work out. The rules don't cover those arrangements! It would seem logical that if the away side go to that expense, they keep their income with nothing from the joint "gate", but that leads to the likes of the old firm doing their own thing at the expense of the home club.  But again, home club permission would be needed.  I think for this tie only the Thistle stream would be used.  Is there space for away clubs to set up cameras, as well as the home club? Didn't think there was.

You're question is an interesting one!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Rule 41 of the Cup rules cover "Division of receipts and payment of expenses". 

However in Rule 40 (a) The SFA will, as a measure of financial assistance, provide a payment to each club drawn away from home in prelim round, Round 1 and Round 2. Max of £400 per club.

Rule 41(a) home team deduct 20% of gross receipts for costs, the remaining 80 % divided equally between the two clubs.

If half of the remaining 80% does not meet the guarantee (for away side) only guarantee given. (From rule 40, the guarantee seems to be the £400 quoted in Rule 40.)

I've only looked at it very quickly, LIB, if anyone else has any other info, please share.  I see no written mention anywhere about this year with streaming,  but I take the view that that would fall within  the provision of gross receipts in rule 41(a).

Away clubs streaming a game would need to seek the permission of the home club, but I've no info on how the commerciality of that transaction would work out. The rules don't cover those arrangements! It would seem logical that if the away side go to that expense, they keep their income with nothing from the joint "gate", but that leads to the likes of the old firm doing their own thing at the expense of the home club.  But again, home club permission would be needed.  I think for this tie only the Thistle stream would be used.  Is there space for away clubs to set up cameras, as well as the home club? Didn't think there was.

You're question is an interesting one!

Doesn’t answer the question, but I guess we have already had this scenario with the league cup. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×