Summer comings and goings

Jaggernaut

When Turner moved in to the middle of the park you could see how good a player he can potentially be. Sadly he spent a large period of his Thistle career stuck out on the wing due to McCall's love of signing central midfielders and shoehorning them in to positions they couldn't play (see also Crawford, Smith).

Docherty was a decent defensive mid at this level and Holt was excellent for us as well. 

As much as I would have liked to keep all three, it is worth remembering they were part of a side who failed to get promotion out of a fairly poor league this year. 

Doolan might have a few tricks up his sleeve and maybe we'll start to see some of the youth players get more than a token 5 minutes. 

It's going to be a tough season but who knows, we might just be pleasantly surprised. 

Not fussed about Docherty leaving - it means he’ll be giving the ball away for Dundee United instead of us. Not really seen why people are so gutted he’s gone - I’m more concerned about Turner going. 

Anyway, onwards and upwards and look forward to Doolan getting together a decent squad.

Sad to see all three players go, but we all knew it was coming.

Staying positive - every player seemed to find good form when Doolan took over as manager. They played with a real sense of purpose and knew their respective roles. Sure whoever replaces them will be similarly well coached.

Like others on this thread I was never totally convinced about Docherty. So not too bothered about him leaving provided we find another holding midfielder preferably one with more presence.

We will though miss Turner, Holt  and, not forgetting him, Tiffoney.

It's sad to see the breaking up of what was a truly promising team in the making.

Nevertheless a big thank you to the 4 players and the best of luck to them for the future.

I've accepted for months that unless we gained promotion we were likely to lose all players out of contract. So the only real surprise has been the delay factor. Bannigan and Muirhead have strong affinity for the Club so perhaps they may stick around. 

We were fielding starting elevens with an average age above 30, something that needs urgent redress. If Banzo & Aero do sign on they'll be joining Lawless & Graham. Enough old heads there so I expect Doolan will be looking to bring in young players. Concentrating more on potential than experience. 

4 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Kyle Turner might be harder to replace, as he seemed to take every free kick and corner kick but at times lacked physicality when the going got tough .

I'd estimate that 95% of those free kicks and corners came to nothing, and I never bought into the notion that Turner was some kind of dead ball maestro. Like Docherty, he too often got caught dallying on the ball and losing possession, or he made some inexplicably awful passes. Now, having pretty much dissed him, I thought that in the last quarter of the season his work rate and overall contribution was immense (except for most of the free kicks and corners!), and based on that, I'm sorry that he's leaving. But I'm more miffed at losing Holt.

Edited by Jaggernaut
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Of the three, Docherty may well be the hardest to replace.

No coincidence either that results fell off a cliff after he got crocked at Aberdeen. His reading of the game and his work off the ball has been a major reason why we were able to mount the end of season challenge. Not a flashy player, but the work he does will never be underestimated by his fellow players. Banzo may well find that out next season depending on who comes in.

Turner's potential only brought regular fruit (dead balls apart) once Doolan came in and started playing him regularly in a position that best suited his skills, unlike McCall who in 18 months singularly failed to build a midfield around him. Bizarrely, Turner improved the team even further when Banzo's injury v Queens Park required him into a deeper role from which Tiffoney and Fitzpatrick benefitted.

Was it not Holt that got injured vs Aberdeen ? Although, during that horrendous spell the spine of the team seemed to be out most games - Holt,Docherty,Graham,Tiffoney and Lawless

11 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Are the players he is referring too not just out of contract players signing new deals eg Sneddon, Bannigan etc rather than completely new signings?

It is a bit vague. But we need new players even if all of the remaining out of contract re-sign.

12 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

As a backup CB, I am happy. Was far better last season than anyone could have expected. But would imagine he'd be 3rd choice if we can bring in two others. 

Fair play to Aero, he was brought in as cover but stated his intention to claim the right to have his name on the team sheet every week and achieved that.  Albeit with some help from injuries but that wasn’t his fault, he put in the shifts.

1 minute ago, AlgarveJag said:

Fair play to Aero, he was brought in as cover but stated his intention to claim the right to have his name on the team sheet every week and achieved that.  Albeit with some help from injuries but that wasn’t his fault, he put in the shifts.

I wonder if he's due a more prestigious shirt-number

34 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

As a backup CB, I am happy. Was far better last season than anyone could have expected. But would imagine he'd be 3rd choice if we can bring in two others. 

Given the financial state I honestly can't see us bringing in two centrebacks who'd both be ahead of Muirhead*. I rather think he's re-signed on that basis. I'd go one further and say Aero will be team captain.

Hopefully he's partnered with a left sided centreback who'll form as good a partnership as he did with Holt. That'll be difficult as those two travelled together and were friends. 

Nothing to do with the merits of re-signing Aaron and just an aside but I thought his goal against Kilmarnock was worthy of being a contender for Goal of the Season.

*eta, worth minding that we've two attacking fullbacks so playing three at the back could be Dool's plans. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, elevenone said:

Can’t say if I agree with another year added here.

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/stuart-bannigan-extends-firhill-stay-until-2025/

Agreed. Think a year extension would have been okay. Not keen on the two years. 

also just looking at the list of players in talks with the club and the only first team player left is sneddon. Mason mccready and James Lyon in the list too. But basically that’s it. Should be all new signings after this

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox