Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

I thinks it's fair comment to say we should have identified a few targets for each position needing filled and secured someone suitable well before now (particularly as the manager believes he needs 3 additional signings).

The question is whether his targets have been realistic. Identifying targets who are unlikely to sign and not lowering your expectations is partly aspirational and partly negligent imo.

http://en.m.wikipedi...athan_Eccleston

This guy been linked on P&B after he tweeted that he was heading up to Glasgow "to see a man about a dog" Mmmm mibbee Archie has been on the dog and bone to him!

Scored 6 times in 60 appearances (Some may be for minutes though)

As for to see a man about a dog, maybe he was actually going to buy a dog

Not only played - scored their goal and ruined Archie's day!

Not spoiled. Chris Erskine opened his Thistle account with a splendid equaliser.

I remember the game well as I was on the then forum match report duty. One of the LIverpool substitutes was called "Flora" giving rise to the epic line "Liverpool brought on Flora to spread the play". OK. Will get my coat.

I thinks it's fair comment to say we should have identified a few targets for each position needing filled and secured someone suitable well before now (particularly as the manager believes he needs 3 additional signings).

The question is whether his targets have been realistic. Identifying targets who are unlikely to sign and not lowering your expectations is partly aspirational and partly negligent imo.

See, this is the thing. We have no idea what the circumstances have been, yet some are willing to assume negligence. My question about who the replacement targets for ATS was a serious question. There are plenty of fans who watch games elsewhere or on telly - surely some reasonable names could have been suggested. Have there been any that are better than a MacMillan/Keenan/Bannigan option ?

See, this is the thing. We have no idea what the circumstances have been, yet some are willing to assume negligence. My question about who the replacement targets for ATS was a serious question. There are plenty of fans who watch games elsewhere or on telly - surely some reasonable names could have been suggested. Have there been any that are better than a MacMillan/Keenan/Bannigan option ?

Think you can take Dale Keenan out of that equation as the boy is largely untested at this level , he may well turn out to be a good player at this level but every week I'm not so sure, we're not going to play Banzo there as he's probably our best midfield player , McMillan will be fine there unless he's up against an out and out winger which there aren't a lot of in the SPFL , this is a huge week for Archie/ Maxwell /Beattie etc they've talked the talk regarding strengthening the team but up until now there is no evidence of this .
  • Like 3

, this is a huge week for Archie/ Maxwell /Beattie etc they've talked the talk regarding strengthening the team but up until now there is no evidence of this .

Got to agree with that. A few on here were slaughtered when questioning the lack of activity by the club on the transfer front, but here we are three games into the season and we still only have three new signings (I am not counting BRE in this as he is not currently at our club) We haven't addressed the left back and striker problems and I still think we need another centre back. The squad is paper thin and that is clearly backed up when you look at our bench this season. The fact that Jordan and Danny have been injured so early on in the season and Sean Welsh looks no nearer to a comeback than he was at the turn of the year also emphasises the lack of cover we have at the club. We badly need to get some players in before Monday or this is going to be a long season.

Edited by Lindau

Tbf people have made suggestions on players only to be mocked by a certain poster claiming all they know is through FIFA and Wikipedia.

One thing to note is, so far to my knowledge Dundee Utd, Kilmarnock, St Mirren, Ross County and Dundee have all made left back signings so there are clearly options out there. Not making any claims on their quality.

We are right now a weaker squad than the one which finished last year in 10th.

• Like 1

We are right now a weaker squad than the one which finished last year in 10th.

I would say we are substantially weaker, mainly because Taylor and Taylor-Sinclair, who were vital players, especially the latter, have not been replaced. To be honest we have a reasonable 1st team, when everyone is fit, but the minute injuries (and we have had 2 vital ones already this season) and the inevitable suspensions kick in we are in trouble unless we get at the very least two players in

Edited by Lindau

Got to agree with that. A few on here were slaughtered when questioning the lack of activity by the club on the transfer front, but here we are three games into the season and we still only have three new signings. We haven't addressed the left back and striker problems and I still think we need another centre back. The squad is paper thin and that is clearly backed up when you look at our bench this season. The fact that Jordan and Danny have been injured so early on in the season and Sean Welsh looks no nearer to a comeback than he was at the turn of the year also emphasises the lack of cover we have at the club. We badly need to get some players in before Monday or this is going to be a long season.

Correct....the key question will be next week when you make judgement on whether the squad is better , the same or worse than the squad that finished the season

Horse cack.

You seriously have your head in the sand mate..

During the summer you were quite happy to insult people who were worried about the lack of transfer activity and the paper thin depth of the squad..

3 days before the end of the transfer window and 3 games into the season.. We have injury's to 2 players in our weakest part of the team and have almost no cover for it.. We have 1 recognized striker who hasn't started a game yet in the premiership

The injury's are unfortunate and expose just how bad this transfer window has been.. We have 4 points from 9 against the teams that we are sure to be battling against at the end of the season..

Admittedly its 3 games into the season so a lot can change..

So please give us some positive points to be happy about :)

You seriously have your head in the sand mate.. During the summer you were quite happy to insult people who were worried about the lack of transfer activity and the paper thin depth of the squad.. 3 days before the end of the transfer window and 3 games into the season.. We have injury's to 2 players in our weakest part of the team and have almost no cover for it.. We have 1 recognized striker who hasn't started a game yet in the premiership The injury's are unfortunate and expose just how bad this transfer window has been.. We have 4 points from 9 against the teams that we are sure to be battling against at the end of the season.. Admittedly its 3 games into the season so a lot can change.. So please give us some positive points to be happy about :)

i'm with you on this one...

What's interesting to me is the notion of gobbling up new signings right as the transfer window closes. Is this more advantageous for the club, who can maybe sign a player more cheaply, or the player, who knows the club might be desperate for additions and can negotiate a better deal?

As for why the transfer window has been lacklustre so far, I doubt it's one glaring oversight instead of a combination of factors - lower wages, lack of scouting network, etc as has been mentioned before. And one thing I haven't seen mentioned a lot is that maybe the top league just doesn't have the luster anymore to attract foreign players. I mean, we don't even have a sponsor yet, do we? If you can't get a business to fork over cash to attach its name to your product, that's pretty telling.

And one thing I haven't seen mentioned a lot is that maybe the top league just doesn't have the luster anymore to attract foreign players.

Not just foreigners. The other point I made elsewhere, and one which appears to be largely overlooked, is that we're competing with three, maybe four sides from the Championship for signings in addition to other Premiership clubs. Plus, the better players from the remaining sides in our second tier might have been content to ply their trade there for a further year if it meant playing Rangers, Hearts and Hibs. When has that ever been the case?

Edited by Dark Passenger

Surprised we didnt sign Brian Graham on loan no idea how good or bad he would have been but would have thought we would still be interested.

Regarding Ecclestone if he played as a trialist at Coventry then perhaps Pressley or Seabourne recommended us to him, then again if all he is saying he is in Glasgow he could be just as possibly in talks with Queens Park, Third Lanark or The Rangers

Was I?

So, we haven't brought in a left-sided centre back? We haven't signed a holding midfielder? The Stevenson signing was a figment of my imagination?

I thought that was evidence of Archie strengthening the side.

if you truly believe the side has been strengthened since the end of last season i would like a pipeful of what you're smoking...

Aye?

Seabourne's better than any of last season's left-sided central defenders on limited viewing, while posters here and elsewhere seemed content that Osman was better and less prone to injury the Osbourne when the latter signed for St. Mirren. It'll be interesting to see if Stevenson will improve when played in his preferred position.

You can argue that the squad as a whole is weaker than the one that finished the season, but to say there's been zero evidence of strengthening is plain wrong.

Aye?

Seabourne's better than any of last season's left-sided central defenders on limited viewing, while posters here and elsewhere seemed content that Osman was better and less prone to injury the Osbourne when the latter signed for St. Mirren. It'll be interesting to see if Stevenson will improve when played in his preferred position.

You can argue that the squad as a whole is weaker than the one that finished the season, but to say there's been zero evidence of strengthening is plain wrong.

the problem as i see it, is finding stevenson's 'preferred position'. if it is central midfield then he should not be brought into the side at the expense of osman, fraser or bannigan. if it wide right then he has to find some speed from somewhere. for a so-called 'marquee signing', he has shown all the mobility of a big top

the problem as i see it, is finding stevenson's 'preferred position'. if it is central midfield then he should not be brought into the side at the expense of osman, fraser or bannigan. if it wide right then he has to find some speed from somewhere. for a so-called 'marquee signing', he has shown all the mobility of a big top

So we're skipping all of the other points and concentrating solely on Stevenson? Okay.

I think the current midfield three all sit too deep. There's too big a gap between them an the lone frontman. I think Stevenson could fill that gap. I also think he'd be a better option than Lawless on the right. He's certainly a stronger player. He might be slower, but it's O'Donnell who's largely been responsible for the pace and attacking flair on that side of the team.

Is Harkins the paciest or most mobile player at Dundee? No, but anyone who attended the game at Dens could see the problems he was causing us when he stayed on his feet. I make that comparison because I think they're similar players.

Edited by Dark Passenger

[quote name='dougie247' timestamp='1409233422' post='199160'}

During the summer you were quite happy to insult people who were worried about the lack of transfer activity and the paper thin depth of the squad..

Holding my hand up here i confused you with a different poster.. Sorry about that

Still think if you believe the team has been strengthened when we are playing a barely tested kid at LB and our main striker is a midfielder then your nuts and delusional