What's your name?

allyo

Listening to them talking about social media blackout and the abuse that people are emboldened to post due to the anonymous nature of it.  Difficult to tackle on the big scale, but I've always thought that on a forum like this we should all be able to be open about it. I know many on here know each other personally and we're usually pretty decent to each other, but still...

So if anyone would like to identify themselves then here's the opportunity. Just a suggestion.

Alan Oliver, 49 from Barrhead. Jags fan coz everyone in my family is, and my Gran and Grandad lived on Brassey Street in Ruchill

Edited by allyo
  • Like 2

I love the idea of this thread and will be interested to see who agrees...

Ross Alexander (Nisbet), 46 now living in East Lothian. I do self publishing crime novels hence the forum name and dropped my surname because people can spell my middle name (and because of ex Rangers player Scott). My wife is a lifelong Thistle fan and (easily) converted me when we met in the mid 1990’s. I always try and be civil on this forum as we all have a common interest and goal (as per Thursday night). 

Great idea allyo. Hopefully the mods will pin this somewhere.

Not for everyone and I respect that.

My identity is not much of a secret.

Phil Bowen. Arrived in Glasgow from Englandshire in '85. Used to live a flight of steps away from Maryhill Road and in '91 decided to watch my local team. Two weeks later I was hooked and on a train to Dundee for an away match. That was a great first season. This season I got my first senior citizen season ticket.

BTW my avatar is quite an old picture. I don't look anything like that any more.

Alan Holloway. Live in Newton Mearns, but my one person legal business has its office on Speirs Wharf, just along the canal from Firhill. Introduced to Thistle by school friends in the mid-1970s. However, it was on bringing my own kids to Firhill for the first time in 1996 that I became totally hooked, gradually increasing from occasional home games to hardly ever missing home or away.  John Lambie Stand regular, but always go to to the top row so that I can be as far away from Auld Jag (perennial front row dweller) as possible!

2 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

Great idea allyo. Hopefully the mods will pin this somewhere.

Not for everyone and I respect that.

My identity is not much of a secret.

Phil Bowen. Arrived in Glasgow from Englandshire in '85. Used to live a flight of steps away from Maryhill Road and in '91 decided to watch my local team. Two weeks later I was hooked and on a train to Dundee for an away match. That was a great first season. This season I got my first senior citizen season ticket.

BTW my avatar is quite an old picture. I don't look anything like that any more.

You picked a  great first away game if that was the 2-1 game v Dundee.

I'd travelled up from England that weekend with an Aberdeen supporting mate and it's likely we were on the same train.

The one on the way back wasn't so good, as the police kicked everyone off in Perth.

Happy days.

• Like 1

Jamie Morris, 50. Born into a Jags daft family, with my Dad, Uncles, and Granda all going to games.

Sadly it's just me, when I can, my Brother and one of my Uncles that still go, as the others' aren't around now.

Trying to get the Nephews involved but they prefer gaming at the minute.

My early years were spent living in the Garscube Road, 261 to be precise. The tenement is still there and is near the M8 by the red ash pitches. 

I live in England now but still get up for Thistle and Scotland games as often as I can, as well as visiting for gigs and a night out.

Billy Gow (65)

Taken to my first game in the 61/62 season by my grandpa. Been a regular ever since and my sons were members 4 and 8 of the first Junior Jags incarnation back in the eighties. 

Now full circle and take my oldest grandson. Both season tickets in the JH.

Living in Hamilton now after sojourns to London and Manchester.

Kenny MacDonald  taken to first game by my dad also a diehard  in 1965. Lived in Linwood in the early days now in North Uist but managed at least one game  a month till lock down . Was lucky enough to be at Hampden for League Cup victory . Unlucky enough LOL to be at just about every final game of the season for past 40 years . Some good ones and some not so good . My sons both follow thistle and grandsons  5&6 also  . They  have travelled from Western Isles to Firhill  with me and both have thistle strips they wear regularly  out playing at home . Born in Elderslie Street just off St Vincent street in Glasgow  .

My nom de plume  is because of my passion for cycling  ,:- racing , touring , bicycle polo , coaching , building and teaching cycle mechanics 

Edited by Tyler Machamilton

Tony Coyle, 53, born and brought up in Garnethill and went to St Joes in Raglan Street, a stones throw from Firhill.

Later years of primary school were spent touring the local areas on Saturday mornings with the jannie, Mr McCann, playing the local primary school scallies at oakgrove, abercorn, dunard, st pats, st charles amongst others on red ash pitches exclusively and almost always when the red ash was frozen solid.

First game was Meadowbank Thistle around mid 70’s and I’ve been gloryhunting ever since.

Nom de plume was given to me by teammates at the resurrected Third Lanark AFC in 2007/8 run by another staunch Jag in the shape of big Matt Curry. Now living south of the river and still, at my advanced age, active in 11s amateur football (relatively injury free and it’s a bit easier on the joints being a keeper) so don’t get up to Firhill as much as I would like to unless Saturday afternoon matches are called off. Former shed boy who now resides a few rows behind Camaillan in the JLS when I do take a walk up memory lane.

Dougie Lochhead now aged 59. Born in Govan to a Partick Thistle supporting father who loathed the OF and steered me on the right path. Was a member of the Erskine thistle supporters bus in the 70s and 80s and I know a few of the guys are on here. A regular at most home games and some away. The eternal optimist.

Edited by dl1971
Typo

Eddie Bell, 66 (jeezo), now living in South Ayrshire. Born in Springburn, brought up in Drumchapel.

First real experience of senior football was going to see Clydebank, a team that featured the legendary Davie Cooper. Going to Firhill was an occasional big day out treat.

Went to London to make my fortune , a Baldrick type plan, and when I returned in 1990, well, there was only one team in Glasgow I could support.

Suffered many ups and downs with the Jags since but who could forget the following.

Parkhead 26.09.92, Metz 08.07.95, Tynecastle 23.03.96,  Inverness 06.03.02, Firhill 29.04.21 and many more that come to mind over a dram. Great memories that keep you hooked.

Nom du plume? Just liked Harrison C Briscoe, well meaning but usually making an arse of it.  Always thought Hannibal Heyes and `Kid' Curry were too smug.

Sorry, I know you have to be of a certain age to know what I’m on about.

Robin Lindsay,69. Brought up in Kelvinbridge. First Jags game 1961, tho' in truth was more into the National side back in that decade. For a long time due to work, location and personal difficulties was not always able to see the Jags. For my sins the last 20 odd years that's all changed and (covid aside) I now rarely miss a game home or away.

15 hours ago, Earnock Jag said:

Billy Gow (65)

Taken to my first game in the 61/62 season by my grandpa. Been a regular ever since and my sons were members 4 and 8 of the first Junior Jags incarnation back in the eighties. 

Now full circle and take my oldest grandson. Both season tickets in the JH.

Living in Hamilton now after sojourns to London and Manchester.

Wow Billy Gow, as I live and breathe! How you doing mate. Long time no see. 

Alan Cameron, 60. Born in Partick but grew up in the South Side. Dad used to take me to Queens Park and Third Lanark games as both grounds were a stones throw away. But around 68 he took me to Shawfield for a Clyde Thistle game. The rest is history. 

Worked mostly in the Middle East over the last 25 years so missed a lot of Thistle. Thank God someone invented the Internet. Retired 3 years ago and living in Kilmaurs and back to watching Thistle on a regular basis, at least when there isn't a pandemic to contend with. 

Stuart Goldie, 46. Brought up in Westerton now living in Stavanger , but my Dad was born in Raebury Street so he started attending around 1948/49 and my late Granda had been attending for about a few decades before that, my Granda owned 2 season tickets since before the war up till 60’swhen he moved to knightswood . Taken to my first game around 1984 (Benny Rooney era),  with my younger brother who’s son now also attends. So onto 4th generation of Jags fans

Stuart McPherson is my nom-de-plume when disguised as a human (I am really a giant, deceased rabbit) .  No football interest in my family but we lived near St George's Cross  up to when I was 12 and my best mate for a while supported the Jags, so I did too being a bit younger and always following his lead.  His grandpa took us both to see my first Jags game. I'm 70 now which doesn't seem right and I note how many who've replied are on the elderly side.  Good to hear the odd mention of children and grandchildren being brought up to see the light.

Alan Taylor, 56, born and brought up in the Wyndford Barracks.

Pretty sure my Dad started as a Bluenose but he took me to Firhill in 1971 vs East Fife aged 6. Said I was too wee to go to the Cup Final (Boo). I used to go regularly but playing football and other sport meant it stopped being a habit. Now live in Midlothian but had my 50th Birthday at Firhill (organised by my wife) and a nice 3-0 win capped the day.

I'm pretty sure one of my Mum's cousins played for Thistle (from memory Billy Wright) and our neighbour, Jim McClure once gave me a pair of 1st team socks - old wool version - I believe he did odd jobs around Firhill.