Queens Park at Wyre stadium at Firhill 26th August 2023

Auld Jag

Even tho we are only at the 3rd game of the league this already seems like a big game for us.

We are playing a team with full points on the board so far this season and who also for the first 3 games we played against them last season beat us. Our form so far this season has not been impressive and nowhere near the form we showed in the playoffs until that collapse at Dingwall.

I think that there should be some changes with at least Neilson and Adeloye starting.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Or win tomorrow and things look better. I know what I'd prefer to think. 

I hope for a win tomorrow as well but we are no longer the team that performed so well in the play-offs and that was cheated at Dingwall.

The fact is QP still have Thomas while we have lost Holt, Turner, Tiffoney and Docherty. It also looks at the moment, that their new players are far better than our new players.

I think the odds  like Dingwall, are against us.

Doolin is going to have to work some miracles this season if we are to stay in the championship.

• Downvote 1

It seems that at last we have a full squad. Perhaps too much to expect Scott Robinson to make an instant impact, but hopefully he will do so before too long. 

No denying that last 2 games have been disappointing to say the least but much too early to be going into panic mode. Have my usual strange optimism about today and as Barney says any sort of win gets us back in the pack.

Agree with AJ that Adeloye and Neilson should come in from the start. I also think that Ngenwa looks a player and I would like to find the best way to play both Milne and him. Maybe too early to make too many changes, but could there be a Kieran Tierney/Andy Robertson solution out there?

I am not so condemnatory of Banzo as some. Still does a lot well but really has to improve his decision-making when he gets to within 30 yards of the goal or make way for more dynamic options.

I hope that I am not jinxing anything when I remind myself that we have not yet lost a home game under Doolan’s management.

Well done to AJ for leading from the front and having the courage to open the thread. Hoping that the balaclava will be making its annual reappearance today.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I hope for a win tomorrow as well but we are no longer the team that performed so well in the play-offs and that was cheated at Dingwall.

The fact is QP still have Thomas while we have lost Holt, Turner, Tiffoney and Docherty. It also looks at the moment, that their new players are far better than our new players.

Doolin is going to have to work some miracles this season if we are to stay in the championship.

Think part of the trouble is we don’t really know know if the new signings will help us , you’ve got to start some of the new players to see what they can do , 10 mins as a sub is no use 

• Like 1

It's getting the balance right in midfield that puzzles me. I'm assuming Robinson won't start but in any case we need to get someone closer to Graham otherwise we'll continue to concede possession in attack too often. At the same time we need protection in front of central defence and to cover for our attacking fullbacks. It seems that no single midfielder is equipped for that role, so we double up to compensate. That in turn leaves either no space for an out and out creative midfielder or Graham (Adeloye) playing in isolation. 

Have suggested that Neilson may be deployed as defensive mid. I thought he looked the part in the brief time he played there. That of course would mean another orthodox central midfielder being left out and question why we signed so many in the first place. 

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

It's getting the balance right in midfield that puzzles me. I'm assuming Robinson won't start but in any case we need to get someone closer to Graham otherwise we'll continue to concede possession in attack too often. At the same time we need protection in front of central defence and to cover for our attacking fullbacks. It seems that no single midfielder is equipped for that role, so we double up to compensate. That in turn leaves either no space for an out and out creative midfielder or Graham (Adeloye) playing in isolation. 

Have suggested that Neilson may be deployed as defensive mid. I thought he looked the part in the brief time he played there. That of course would mean another orthodox central midfielder being left out and question why we signed so many in the first place. 

Wondering whether McKenzie could play that defensive mid position. He’s already had to slot into a defensive role when covering for McMillan and midfield is his preferred role. It’s maybe not so much for him to adapt to.

16 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Wondering whether McKenzie could play that defensive mid position. He’s already had to slot into a defensive role when covering for McMillan and midfield is his preferred role. It’s maybe not so much for him to adapt to.

Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in that role. He's strong and appears reasonable with both feet. Rather think that'll be for another day. If he'd had a run out in central mid instead of as right back cover we'd have a better idea.

I think Doolan's biting the bullet on this and will be anticipating someone like McInroy or Alston will adapt. Perhaps the former who can tackle to a degree will play a bit further back?

5 hours ago, partickthedog said:

It seems that at last we have a full squad. Perhaps too much to expect Scott Robinson to make an instant impact, but hopefully he will do so before too long. 

No denying that last 2 games have been disappointing to say the least but much too early to be going into panic mode. Have my usual strange optimism about today and as Barney says any sort of win gets us back in the pack.

Agree with AJ that Adeloye and Neilson should come in from the start. I also think that Ngenwa looks a player and I would like to find the best way to play both Milne and him. Maybe too early to make too many changes, but could there be a Kieran Tierney/Andy Robertson solution out there?

I am not so condemnatory of Banzo as some. Still does a lot well but really has to improve his decision-making when he gets to within 30 yards of the goal or make way for more dynamic options.

I hope that I am not jinxing anything when I remind myself that we have not yet lost a home game under Doolan’s management.

Well done to AJ for leading from the front and having the courage to open the thread. Hoping that the balaclava will be making its annual reappearance today.

Far to early for the balaclava, but just for you :ph34r:.

Look forward to our customary pre match chat and you saying why James Lyon should start. :D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, exiledjag said:

They lost Murray and the big centre back who has signed for Dundee.  Arguably their best 2 signings

Did I hear correctly their goalkeeper is only 16 years old

6 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

They lost Murray and the big centre back who has signed for Dundee.  Arguably their best 2 signings

Did I hear correctly their goalkeeper is only 16 years old

Paton seems to be scoring plenty. Thomas & Robson seem to score against us. 

is Ferrie not their first choice keeper now (not that I rate him)